Spetchley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1539
Nonconformists in Spetchley include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Spetchley
- Norton juxta Kempsey
- Worcester St Martin
- White Ladies Aston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SPETCHLEY, a parish in Pershore district, Worcestershire; on the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, 3 miles E by S of Worcester. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Worcester. Acres, 779. Real property, £4,477. Pop., 140. Houses, 25. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to R. Berkeley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £109. Patron, R. Berkeley, Esq. The church is old. There is a Roman Catholic school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Spetchley – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 3 miles E. from Worcester, and 108 from London; containing 18 inhabited houses. The church is a small neat building, containing several monuments of the Berkley family. It is a rectory; Rev. George Dineley, jun. incumbent; instituted 1811; patron, R. Berkley, Esq. Population, 1801, 127 – 1811, 113 – 1821, 121.
Spetchley-House, in the above parish, the residence of Robert Berkley, Esq. The mansion-house was burnt down in the civil wars by the Royalist troops, notwithstanding Judge Berkley, who then owned the estate, was a staunch supporter of the king, and had actually suffered imprisonment in the Tower, and was fined £20,000 by the parliament: the stables, which had escaped the conflagration, were afterwards converted into a dwelling. A modern house, built of free-stone, has lately been erected by Mr. Berkley, who has a small chapel attached to it for the convenience of his tenants, who are chiefly Catholics.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Spetchley, three miles from Worcester, on the old London road, has the ancient mansion of Robert Berkeley, Esq. formerly the residence of Judge Berkeley, whose monument is in the church. Here is a fine park, well stocked with deer, and a long avenue of trees leading to the house, which was first intended for the entrance of the seat, but now only a foot-path remains. At Churchill, one mile and a half from hence, a spring has lately been discovered, whose water is esteemed to be equal in virtue to that at Tunbridge Spa.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Spetchley Billings Directory 1855
Spetchley Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Shuard William. Tibberton, late Spetchley, Worcestersh., builder, Sept. 1, 1837.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury