South Littleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St Michael
Parish registers begin: 1538
Parishes adjacent to South Littleton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LITTLETON (SOUTH), a parish, with a village, in Evesham district, Worcester; near the river Avon, 3 miles N E by N of Evesham r. station. Post town, Evesham. Acres, 841. Real property, £1,736. Pop., 294. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of North Littleton, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £258. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church ranges from Norman downwards, and was recently in a very dilapidated condition. The base of an ancient cross is in the churchyard.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Littleton (South) – a parish in the hundred of Blakenhurst, upper division, 3 miles N.E. from Evesham, and 98 from London; containing 30 inhabited houses. The living is a curacy, united with Middle Littleton; the Rev. W. Digby, incumbent; in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christchurch, Oxford. Population, 1801, 116 – 1811, 191 – 1821, no return.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
South Littleton Marriages
Marriages at South Littleton 1539 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed
South Littleton Billings Directory 1855
South Littleton is a small parish, distant about 3 miles N.E.E. from Evesham, and contained in 1851 a population of 212 inhabitants.
A portion of the farm-house in the occupation of Mr. William Careless is said to be the remains of the ancient baronial mansion of the Lords of Littleton.
The Church is a small stone structure, in the Gothic style of architecture, with square turreted tower, but no spire. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, with that of North Littleton, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford. Rev. Henry Godfrey Faussett, Incumbent; Rev. Henry Rose, Clerk. Service – 10 30 a.m. and 2 30 p.m., alternately with North Littleton.
Faussett Rev. Henry G., Incumbent of South and North Littleton
Stockford Mr. Charles
Careless William, farmer
Drury Edward, farmer
Gibbs Philip, shopkeeper
Gibbs William, farmer
Howley William, shopkeeper and beer retailer, New Inn
Izod Alfred, farmer
Moore John, blacksmith
Sheppard Samuel, tailor
Smith George, farmer
Wheeler Mrs. John, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Evesham
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Blackenhurst
- Province: Canterbury