Shelsley Beauchamp, Worcestershire Family History Guide

Shelsley Beauchamp is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Kings Shelsley or Shelsley Kings.

Alternative names: Great Shelsley

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin: 1538

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Shelsley Beauchamp

Historical Descriptions

Shelsley Beauchamp

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Shelsley-Beauchamp, or Great S., a township and a parish in Martley district, Worcester. The township lies on the river Teme, 3 miles NW of Martley, and 9 SW of Stourport r. station; and has a post-office under Worcester. Pop., 289. Houses, 53. The parish contains also the hamlet of Shelsley Kings, and comprises 2,196 acres. Real property, £3,782. Pop., 556. Houses, 118. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £500. Patron, Earl Dudley. The church, excepting the tower, was recently rebuilt. There are an endowed school with £61 a-year, and charities £66.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Shelsley-Beauchamp, a parish in the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Martley, county of Worcester; 8½ miles south-west of Stourport. It includes the hamlet of King's Shelsley. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £9 4s. 4½d.; gross income £400. Patron, in 1841, Lord Foley. Here is a free school supported by endowment. Other charities, in 1830, about £70 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £104 8s. On an average of 7 years, to 1835, hops have annually been cultivated in this parish to the extent of 130¾; acres; average amount of hops charged, 39,773 lbs.; of duty paid, £331 8s. 10d. Acres of the parish 2,310. Houses 117. A. P. £3,662. Pop., in 1801, 496; in 1831, 553.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

SHELSLEY-BEAUCHAMP (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Martley, partly in the Lower, and partly in the Upper, division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, about 10 miles (N. W.) from Worcester; containing 519 inhabitants, of whom 275 are in the hamlet of Shelsley-Beauchamp. This parish is situated on the left bank of the river Teme, and comprises 2156 acres of fertile land, chiefly laid out in pasture; the arable lands produce wheat, hops, fruit, &c. The prospects are very beautiful, especially that from Upper House, the seat of Charles Edward Moore, Esq., embracing a perfect panorama of the country around, with the Malvern and the Shropshire hills. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 4. 4½.; net income, £376; patron, Lord Ward. The church, a stone edifice of the 12th century, was thoroughly repaired, and a north aisle added, in 1846, at a cost of £800, of which Lord Ward contributed £500. A free school was endowed with £100, by the Rev. Owen Plwy, in 1681, and subsequently received benefactions in land from Caleb Avenant and others, yielding in the whole £60 per annum. The Rev. Thomas Webb, in 1703, bequeathed an estate called Hay-Oak farm, for apprenticing children. Fossil remains are found in the limestone strata.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Shelsley-Beauchamp – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, lower division, 10 miles N.W. from Worcester, and 122 from London; containing 52 inhabited houses. Here is a good free school for all the children in the parish, well endowed. The living is a rectory; Rev. R. H. Berkley, D.D. incumbent; instituted 1783; patron, Lord Foley. Population, 1801, 263 – 1811, 269 – 1821, 282.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Shelsley Kings

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Shelsley-Kings, a hamlet in Shelsley-Beauchamp parish, Worcester; contiguous to S.-B. township. Pop., 267. Houses, 65.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Shelsley King's, a hamlet in the parish of Shelsley-Beauchamp, county of Worcester; 9½ miles south-west by west of Stourport. Houses 62. A. P. £1,131. Pop., in 1801, 233; in 1831, 282.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

SHELSLEY, KING'S, a hamlet, in the parish of Shelsley-Beauchamp, union of Martley, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W. divisions of the county of Worcester; containing 244 inhabitants, and comprising 895 acres.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Shelsley Kings – a hamlet in the above parish Shelsley Beauchamp, extending to Stanford Bridge, in Doddingtree hundred, upper division; containing 53 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 233 – 1811, 244 – 1821, 264.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Parish Records

Birth, Marriage, & Death Records - FamilySearch

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

England Marriages, 1538–1973

England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

England, Warwickshire, Parish Registers, 1535-1963

England, Staffordshire, Church Records, 1538-1944

England, Leicestershire Parish Registers, 1533-1991

New York, New York City Marriage Records, 1829-1940

 
 

Directories

Shelsley Beauchamp Billings Directory 1855

Shelsley Beauchamp, or Great Shelsley, is a village pleasantly situated on the banks of the Teme, about 9½ miles from Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 560 inhabitants.

The Church is a very ancient building, dedicated to All Saints, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with western square tower, and has within the last few years undergone extensive repairs. The original edifice was of the fourteenth or fifteenth century, and in the restorations the endeavour was made to bring back the lost proportions, and remove the unsightly additions; a fine arch dividing the tower from the nave was cleared, and the whole sweep from east to west was thrown in, a new north aisle added, and the whole of the rest raised again from its foundations. The east window, in awkward perpendicular, was replaced by a triple lancet; the other windows being simple early English. A beautiful east end of five arches, in which the Commandments and Creed are emblazoned, lies under the eastern window. Stalls occupy the chancel, and the centre of the east window is fitted in with painted glass, after the pattern of the “Five Sisters” at York, with a group of the Crucifixion inserted. Over the interior of the entrance-door is the inscription, “Remember Lot’s Wife!” the moral of which is supposed to show the danger and impropriety, after entering the house of God, of casting the thoughts back upon the affairs of the world. There is now in the possession of the Rector the frame-work of an ancient hour-glass which was appended to the pulpit of the old church. Before the general introduction of watches, and especially during the Puritanical period, it was customary to preach by the hour-glass, which no doubt very frequently supplied a moral comparison to the ebbing tide of human life. There were also discovered two chains and clasps under folding oak panels, with fragments of Fox’s “Book of Martyrs” in the fastening. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Lord Ward. Rev. David Melville, M.A., Rector; Mr. Joseph Thomas, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m.; first Sunday in the month, 3 p.m.

The Free School is endowed with landed property to instruct and apprentice poor children of the parish. Mr. Edward Lucas, Master. Average number of children, 40.

DIRECTORY

Melville Rev. David, M.A., Rector; also of Shelsley Walsh Rectory
Moore James, Esq., Upper House
Barley John, farmer, Sturt
Benbow William, blacksmith
Bunce George, farmer, The Camp
Burbridge Henry, shoe maker
Bury Thomas, farmer, The Bank
Collins John, farmer, Hill Side
Dance John, farmer, Brock Hill
Davis James, shoe maker
Delahay John, farmer
Duggan Jane, farmer, Minyard
Eaton James, plumber and glazier
Fletcher Oswald, farmer, Birch Farm
Hathaway William Green, grocer and draper
Hill Thomas, farmer, Aaron’s Head
Layland John, farmer, The Withys
Mapp William, farmer, Barrel Hill
Martin Samuel, farmer
Martin William, Collector of Taxes
Rackster Elizabeth, farmer, Pard House
Richards Samuel, farmer, Shelsley Mill
Salloway Edward, farmer, Little Blake’s
Taylor George, shopkeeper and carrier
Thomas Joseph, farmer, gardener, and seedsman, Great Blake’s
Waldron John, farmer, Lower House
Wall Thomas, farmer
Webb Edward, farmer, Rudge House
Webb George, shoe maker
Wheeler Thomas, farmer, Church Farm
Wheeler Samuel Crane, farmer, Brinkhill
Young William, victualler, Bridge Inn

Carrier – Kidderminster, Taylor, Thur., 7 a.m., and to Worcester, Sat., 7 a.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Shelsley Beauchamp Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Shelsley Beauchamp, 10 miles from Worcester, containing 36 houses, and 263 inhabitants.

Brazier John, farmer
Bury Mrs. gentlewoman
Collins John, farmer
Crisp Mrs. Farmer
Downes John, farmer
Holder Richard, farmer
Horton John, farmer
Moore Edward, gent.
Morgan James, farmer
Mountford Wm. farmer
Napp F. schoolmaster
Pritchard George, carrier
Rickards George, farmer
Robinson Rev. Thomas
Robinson Mrs. gent.
Sant John, farmer
Thomas John, gent.

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Shelsley Kings Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Shelsley Kings, united with Shelsley Beauchamp, containing 38 houses, and 238 inhabitants.

Bury Thomas, gent.
Butler John, farmer
Hill Thomas, farmer
Hodges Robert, farmer
Martin John, farmer
Mountford Thos. farmer
Pearkes Joseph, farmer
Pearkes, William, vict.
Sheargold Thos. carrier
Smith Henry, shopkeeper

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Martley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Worcester
  • Poor Law Union: Martley
  • Hundred: Doddingtree
  • Province: Canterbury