Severn Stoke is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Kinnersley.
Parish church: St. Denis
Parish registers begin: 1538
Severn-Stoke, a village and a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester. The village stands on the river Severn, 2½ miles N of Upton r. station; commands fine views of the Malvern Hills; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Worcester. The parish contains also the hamlet of Kinnersley, and comprises 3,269 acres. Real property, £6,794. Pop., 679. Houses, 158. The manor belongs to the Earl of Coventry. S. End was a seat of the Lechmeres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £766. Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £13.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Stoke-upon-Severn, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Pershore, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester; 2½ miles north east by north of Upton-upon-Severn. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £21 17s. 4d.; gross income £750. Patron, in 1841, the Earl of Coventry. Here are 4 daily schools. Charities, in 1830, about £18 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £380. Acres 2,940. Houses 150. A. P. £8,386. Pop., in 1801,583; in 1831, 745.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Stoke, Severn (St. Denis), a parish, in the union of Upton, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Upton; containing 744 inhabitants. Situated on the left bank of the river Severn, and intersected by the road between Worcester and Tewkesbury, the parish presents some pleasing scenery, and consists of 3230 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £21. 17. 4.; net income, £746; patron, the Earl of Coventry. A market and a fair were granted by Edward II., but both of them have long been disused.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Severn-Stoke – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 7 miles S. from Worcester, and 112 from London; containing 142 inhabited houses. It is a pleasant village, on the east bank of the river Severn, commanding a charming view of the Malvern-Hills. The church, which stands a short distance to the westward of the road, contains several monuments of the Somers family. It is a rectory; Rev. J. F. S. F. St. John, incumbent; instituted 1815; patron, Earl of Coventry. Population, 1801, 583 – 1811, 600 – 1821, 666.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Severn Stoke, a village eight miles from Worcester, on the Gloucester road, has a handsome church, with some neat monuments. Here is likewise situated the seat of the Rev. Dr. Evans, the present archdeacon of Worcester. It formerly had a fair.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Distances – 3 miles from Upton-on-Severn, 7 from Worcester
Population – in 1901, 557. Acreage, 3274.
Postal Information – Miss L. Linton, Sub-Postmistress. Letters received through Worcester at 5.35 a.m. and 4.20 p.m.; Sundays, 5.35 a.m. Letters despatched to Worcester at 11.20 a.m. and 7.10 p.m. week-days, and Sundays 7.10 p.m. Telegrams may be sent from 8.0 a.m. to 8.0 p.m. on week-days, and Sundays 8.0 a.m. to 10.0 a.m. Postal order, money order and savings bank business transacted.
The Wall Letter-box at Clifton is cleared at 11.30 a.m. and 7.20 p.m.; Sundays, 7.20 p.m. The Wall Letter-box at Kinnersley is cleared at 8.20 a.m. and 6.0 p.m. week-days only.
Parish Church (St. Denis) – Rev. Henry W. Coventry, M.A., Vicar; Colonel C. W. Long, M.P., and George Brooke, Churchwardens; Henry Fowler, Parish Clerk.
Elementary School – Arthur Langfield, Master.
Assistant Overseer – William Hood.
Police Station – Richard Jeffs, Constable.
Carriers to Worcester – Samuel Goodwin, Saturdays, stops at the New Greyhound, New Street. Arthur Taylor, Wednesdays and Saturdays, Old Greyhound, New Street; leaves Kinnersley at 8.0 a.m., Worcester about 3.30 p.m.; Frederick Tandy, Wednesdays and Saturdays, Red Lion, Sidbury; leaves Kinnersley 9.0 a.m., Worcester about 3.30 p.m.
Brooke George, farmer, &c.
Cosnett Edwin H., farmer, &c., Clifton
Coventry Rev. Henry W., M.A., J.P. (rector, hon. canon of Worcester and rural dean of Bredon), Rectory
Davies Miss Sarah, Ye Olde Boar’s Head (established upwards of a century), old posting house, Bristol main road. Home-brewed and Burton ales. Wines, spirits, cigars. Most comfortable accommodation for tourists and cyclists. Good lock-up stables and coach-houses. Hotel quarters C.T.C.
Fowler Henry, parish clerk
Garrett William T., jockey to the Earl of Coventry Kinnersley
Gill Mrs. Maria, farmer, Kinnersley
Goodwin Samuel, carrier, Clifton
Heath Miss Maria, beer retailer, Clifton
Hemus William, farmer, Kinnersley
Hill Mrs. Emma, beer retailer, Kinnersley
Hill John, Church house
Hood Wm., sen., clerk of works to the Earl of Coventry
Hood Wm., estate clerk and assistant overseer, Kinnersley
Hooper Thomas, butcher
House George, stud groom, Kinnersley
Hunter Mrs. Ada, Spring bank
Jeffs Richard, police constable
Jones John Henry, grocer and baker
Langfield Arthur, school house
Linton Miss L., sub-postmistress
Linton Miss Ellen, vaccination officer and registrar of births and deaths for Kempsey Sub-district, Post office
Long Colonel Charles Wigram, M.P., D.L., J.P., Severn bank
Osborne Edward Miall, Kinnersley
Morris George W., farmer, Clifton court
Morris - , beer retailer (Crown Inn)
Mytton James, farmer
Nixon Chas., frmr., Lower farm, Kinnersley
Nixon Edward, farmer, Birch farm
Palmer Miss F.M., hand laundry, Kinnersley (see advt.)
Phillips John, farmer, Clifton
Pinnock - , farmer, Kinnersley
Preece Thomas, farmer, High house
Redding Alfred, painter
Revill Mark, jun., farmer, Sandford house
Robert Arthur Remington, Hill house
Scott Henry, wheelwright, Sandford
Scott William, blacksmith, Sandford
Tandy Frederick, carrier
Taylor Arthur, carrier, Kinnersley
Tremaine Fredk., stud groom, Kinnersley
Vaughan John, blacksmith, Kinnersley
Wadley John, farmer, Dunstal
Warman Jas. H., hay and coal dealer
Woodward Frederick, farmer, Park farm (letters through Kempsey)
Workmen’s Club – A. Langfield, Hon. Sec.
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Severn Stoke is a large village and parish, situated about 7 miles S. of Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 726 inhabitants.
In the reign of Edward I this parish was held by the Clifford family, and the renowned George Clifford, Earl of Cumberland, who entered as a volunteer against the Spanish Armada, and made eight voyages against the Spaniards, was a member of this family. A market and fair were granted to be held here, by Edward II, but both having since fallen into disuse.
The Church, dedicated to St. Denis, consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with tower and five bells. The aisle is separated from the nave by four obtuse arches; the windows are principally in the decorated style, and some of them contain small portions of ancient stained glass, being fragments of the arms of the Beauchamp and other families who have held possessions in this parish. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Coventry. The Hon. and Rev. T. H. Coventry, Rector; Rev. Henry H. Burrow, Curate; Mr. Thomas Parry, Clerk. Service - 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The National School is conveniently situated near the middle of the village. The residence was presented by the Earl of Coventry, who, with the Rector and resident gentry, are the principal supporters. It is under Diocesan inspection. Mr. Thomas Bovington, Master; Mrs. Bovington, Mistress. Total number of scholars, boys and girls inclusive, 115. Charities - The Right Hon. Margaret Lady Coventry gave the sum of £20, to be laid out in land, to provide bread and wine for the sacrament, monthly. Catherine Fownes gave £10, for the use of the poor for ever. Richard Tustian, 1656, gave two acres of land, the money derived therefrom to be given in bread to the poor for ever, on Sundays. Mr. Posthumus Salway gave, by will, 1703, the sum of £30, for the use of the poor of this parish. Mrs. Ann Wright, by will, 1705, gave £5 to the village of Clifton, to remain in stock for ever; the interest to be given on St. John’s day to five poor widows in money. Mr. and Mrs. Chapleyne gave, in 1751, one silver flagon and chalice for the use of communion. John Blissard, by will, 1726, gave £5 to the poor of Severn Stoke, to remain in stock for ever; the interest to be given to the poor of Clifton annually. Mr. George Lloyd gave the sum of £40, the interest to be given in bread annually at Christmas; to which sum Mr. Richard Spencer added £20 to purchase the remainder of certain lands called Sandpitts and Studmore, which lands, by will dated 1762, were given to the poor of Kempsey and Severn Stoke for ever. Mr. William Palin, by will, 1764, gave £10 15s 5d., the interest to be given in bread to the poor on Christmas day.
Best Miss Elizabeth, Elton Cottage
Burrow Rev. Henry Hurst, B.A., Curate, Woodbine Villa
Burrow Mr. Thomas, Woodbine Villa
Coventry The Hon. and Rev. Thomas Henry, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Cotton Lady Augusta, The Birch
Dant John Coucher, Esq., Severn Bank
Jones Joseph, Esq., Spring Bank
White Mrs. Sarah
Andrews Ellen, farmer, Kinnersley
Brooks George, maltster
Corbett James, farmer, Kinnersley
Dance John, wheelwright and machine maker, Clifton
Davis William, tailor
Doughty William, farmer, Kinnersley
Evans John, grocer and provision dealer, and Registrar of Births and Deaths for the Kempsey District
Gregory James, farmer, Dunstall
Hay John, shopkeeper and carpenter, Kinnersley
Haynes Robert, blacksmith, Kinnersley
Hitchings James, baker and shopkeeper
Howship Joseph, victualler, Boar’s Head
Hughes Mary Ann, farmer, Black Farm, Clifton
Key Ann, farmer, Clifton
Jauncey Charles, beer retailer, Crown and Anchor
Mann Thomas, farmer, Naunton Farm
Morris Mary Ann, farmer, Clifton
Parry Thomas, Parish Clerk
Pitt James, coal dealer
Scott William, blacksmith, Sandford
Seabright James, wheelwright, Clifton
Shepherd Henry, butcher
Spiers Henry, shoe maker, Kinnersley
Tainton John, blacksmith, Sandford
Tibbott Elizabeth, farmer, Lower House
Turberville Frederick, carpenter
Turberville James, beer retailer, The Oak, Kinnersley
White James, butcher and shopkeeper, Kinnersley
White Samuel, farmer, Sheepcot
Williams Jane, farmer, Kinnersley
Wood Sarah, farmer, High House
Woodward Francis, farmer, Clifton Court
Woodward Joseph, farmer, Park Farm
Workman Joseph, butcher, Clifton
Post Office - Mr. John Evans, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 6 30 a.m.; despatch, 6 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Stoke Severn, 3 miles from Upton, containing 123 houses, and 583 inhabitants.
Baylis John, farmer
Best Margaret, farmer
Burrow Thomas, farmer
Cotton William, farmer
Deerhurst Rt. Hon. Lord Viscount, M. P.
Doughty Thomas, farmer
Griffiths Mrs. Farmer
Harris Thomas, vict.
Hatch Francis, butcher
Hobbs Richard, farmer
Hobbs William, farmer
Horniblow Wm. farmer
Horniblow W. jun. farmer
Horniblow Geo. Farmer
Martin Charles, esq.
Newman John, farmer
Newman Wm. farmer
Rea John, gent.
Rea Joseph, farmer
Salmon Rev. Henry
St. John Rev. J. F. S. F.
Stonall Mary, farmer
Tibbott Edward, farmer
Tibbott John, farmer
White William, gent.
White John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.