Severn Stoke is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Kinnersley.
Parish church: St. Denis
Parish registers begin: 1538
Parishes adjacent to Severn Stoke
- Great Malvern
- Upton upon Severn
- Earl's Croome
- Croome D'Abitot
- Hanley Castle
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Severn-Stoke, a village and a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester. The village stands on the river Severn, 2½ miles N of Upton r. station; commands fine views of the Malvern Hills; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Worcester. The parish contains also the hamlet of Kinnersley, and comprises 3,269 acres. Real property, £6,794. Pop., 679. Houses, 158. The manor belongs to the Earl of Coventry. S. End was a seat of the Lechmeres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £766. Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £13.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Stoke-upon-Severn, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Pershore, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester; 2½ miles north east by north of Upton-upon-Severn. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £21 17s. 4d.; gross income £750. Patron, in 1841, the Earl of Coventry. Here are 4 daily schools. Charities, in 1830, about £18 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £380. Acres 2,940. Houses 150. A. P. £8,386. Pop., in 1801,583; in 1831, 745.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Stoke, Severn (St. Denis), a parish, in the union of Upton, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Upton; containing 744 inhabitants. Situated on the left bank of the river Severn, and intersected by the road between Worcester and Tewkesbury, the parish presents some pleasing scenery, and consists of 3230 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £21. 17. 4.; net income, £746; patron, the Earl of Coventry. A market and a fair were granted by Edward II., but both of them have long been disused.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Severn-Stoke – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 7 miles S. from Worcester, and 112 from London; containing 142 inhabited houses. It is a pleasant village, on the east bank of the river Severn, commanding a charming view of the Malvern-Hills. The church, which stands a short distance to the westward of the road, contains several monuments of the Somers family. It is a rectory; Rev. J. F. S. F. St. John, incumbent; instituted 1815; patron, Earl of Coventry. Population, 1801, 583 – 1811, 600 – 1821, 666.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Severn Stoke, a village eight miles from Worcester, on the Gloucester road, has a handsome church, with some neat monuments. Here is likewise situated the seat of the Rev. Dr. Evans, the present archdeacon of Worcester. It formerly had a fair.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Severn Stoke with Kinnersley and Clifton Littleburys Worcester Directory 1905
Severn Stoke Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Severn Stoke Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury