Sedgeberrow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St Mary the Virgin
Parish registers begin: 1566
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Sedgeberrow
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
Parishes adjacent to Sedgeberrow
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Sedgeberrow, a parish, with a village, in Evesham district, Worcester; on the river Isborne, 4 miles S by W of Evesham r. station. Post-town, Evesham. Acres, 1,042. Real property, £1,663. Pop., 354. Houses, 68. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £228. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of W. The church is of the 14th century, and has an octagonal tower and spire, and was repaired in 1845. There are a Baptist chapel and a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Sedgeberrow, a parish, in the union of Evesham, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (SSW) from Evesham; containing 318 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1014 acres, chiefly arable; the soil is a strong reddish day, producing good wheat and beans; the surface is generally level, and the lands are watered by the river Isperne. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £13. 15. 7 ½.; net income, £228; patrons, Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1810; the glebe comprises about 200 acres, with a house. The church has a small octagonal tower surmounted by a spire, and exhibits portions in the decorated and later English styles. A school is supported by subscription.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Sedgeberrow – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles S.W. from Evesham, and 93 from London; containing 49 inhabited houses, nearly surrounded by Gloucestershire. It is a rectory; Rev. Jeremiah Roberts, incumbent; instituted 1787; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 184 – 1811, 195 – 1821, 250.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
FamilySearch - Free
National Burial Index - Free
Sedgeberrow Billings Directory 1855
Sedgeberrow is a very small parish, about 3¼ miles from Evesham, and 12½ from Cheltenham, containing in 1851 a population of 348 inhabitants.
The Church is a large, ancient, and substantial edifice, with a small octagonal tower, surmounted by a spire; the building exhibits portions of the decorated and later English styles of architecture. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Rev. Francis Henry Barber, Rector; Mr. Richard Male, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small Baptist Chapel. No stated minister, or regular time of service.
There is a small school-room in the village. Dorcas Moody, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 40.
Port Rev. George
Ashwin Frederick, farmer
Barnes William, shopkeeper
Buckle George, victualler, Queen’s Head
Burrows James, cider seller
Coldicott John, farmer
Cole Nehemiah, farmer
Hampton William, victualler, New Inn
Herbert William, miller
Nind William, farmer
Osborn John, farmer
Stephens Thomas, farmer
Stoke Caroline, shopkeeper
Stokes Joseph, blacksmith
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Sedgeberrow Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Sedgeberrow, 4 miles from Evesham, containing 36 houses, and 184 inhabitants.
Ashwin Sarah, farmer
Burrows William, farmer
Cole John, pig dealer
Grove John, farmer
Ninde John, farmer
Osborn John, farmer
Roberts Rev. Jeremiah
Sheaf Henry, mealman
Stokes John, farmer
Stokes John, smith
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury