Salwarpe, Worcestershire

Salwarpe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Chawson.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1666

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Salwarpe

  • Warndon
  • Droitwich St Nicholas
  • Oddingley
  • Hadzor
  • Westwood Park
  • Hindlip
  • Ombersley
  • Martin Hussingtree
  • Droitwich St Andrew with St Mary Witton
  • Droitwich St Peter

Historical Descriptions

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Salwarpe, (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Droitwich, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Droitwich and E divisions of the county of Worcester, 2½ miles (W. S. W.) from Droitwich; containing 482 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1979a. 35p.: the Droitwich canal to the river Severn passes through it, and the principal traffic is in the conveyance of salt. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £14. 14. 7.; net income, £520; patron, the Rev. Henry Douglas: the tithes were commuted for land in 1813; the glebe comprises 306 acres. The church exhibits portions in the Norman, and in the decorated and later English styles. A parochial school was erected a few years since by subscription, on the site of one in a ruinous state; the master receives £20 annually, the bequest of Talbot Barker, Esq. An old mansion, erected in the time of Henry VIII., is supposed to occupy the site of an ancient religious house. Richard Beauchamp, the celebrated Earl of Warwick, was born here in 1351.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Salwarp – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 3 miles W. from Droitwich, and 116 from London; containing 65 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. James Volant Vashon, incumbent in his own right; instituted 1808. Population, 1801, 348 – 1811, 399 – 1821, 462

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

High Park Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

High-Park, in the parish of Salwarpe, 3 miles from Droitwich, the residence of Philip Gresley, Esq.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Salwarpe Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Droitwich
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Droitwich
  • Poor Law Union: Droitwich
  • Hundred: Droitwich Borough; Halfshire
  • Province: Canterbury