Salwarpe, Worcestershire Family History Guide

Salwarpe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Chawson.

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin: 1666

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Salwarpe

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SALWARPE, a parish, with a village, in Droitwich district, Worcester; on the S. river, the Droitwich canal, and the Wolverhampton and Worcester railway, 2 miles SW by W of Droitwich. It has a pillar-box under Droitwich. Acres, 1,850. Real property, £4,398. Pop., 442. Houses, 94. The manor, with High Park, belongs to R. A. D. Gresley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £540. Patron, the Rev. W. W. Douglas. The church was partly restored, partly rebuilt, in 1848; and has some Norman arches, decorated English aisles, and a later English tower. There are an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £5.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Salwarpe, (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Droitwich, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Droitwich and E divisions of the county of Worcester, 2½ miles (W. S. W.) from Droitwich; containing 482 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1979a. 35p.: the Droitwich canal to the river Severn passes through it, and the principal traffic is in the conveyance of salt. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £14. 14. 7.; net income, £520; patron, the Rev. Henry Douglas: the tithes were commuted for land in 1813; the glebe comprises 306 acres. The church exhibits portions in the Norman, and in the decorated and later English styles. A parochial school was erected a few years since by subscription, on the site of one in a ruinous state; the master receives £20 annually, the bequest of Talbot Barker, Esq. An old mansion, erected in the time of Henry VIII., is supposed to occupy the site of an ancient religious house. Richard Beauchamp, the celebrated Earl of Warwick, was born here in 1351.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Salwarp – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 3 miles W. from Droitwich, and 116 from London; containing 65 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. James Volant Vashon, incumbent in his own right; instituted 1808. Population, 1801, 348 – 1811, 399 – 1821, 462

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

High Park Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

High-Park, in the parish of Salwarpe, 3 miles from Droitwich, the residence of Philip Gresley, Esq.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Lascelles & Co.'s Directory and Gazetteer of the City of Worcester & Neighbourhood 1851

Salwarpe Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Salwarp, 3 miles from Droitwich, near a river of the same name, which falls into the Severn, it contains 55 houses, and 348 inhabitants.

Ashwin Richard, farmer

Boaz George, farmer

Brewster Betty, miller

Bullock Lucy, smith

Caswell Joseph, vict.

Creswell James, farmer

Gresley Phillip, esq.

Hammonds Mary, farmer

Ireland Thomas, farmer

Milner Francis, farmer

Mucklow John, farmer

Nash John, farmer

Nichols William, miller

Prescott George, farmer

Price Thomas, farmer

Smith Richard, farmer

Stephens J. shoemaker

Stokes Mrs. gentlewoman

Sutton William, farmer

Tandy Edward, farmer

Vashion Rev. J. V.

Wilson Samuel, farmer

Wilson John, farmer

Wilson William, farmer

Wilson Matthew, farmer

Womack Wm. farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Droitwich
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Droitwich
  • Poor Law Union: Droitwich
  • Hundred: Droitwich Borough; Halfshire
  • Province: Canterbury