Rushock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St. Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin: 1661
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Rushock, a parish in the lower division of Halfshire hund., union of Kidderminster, county of Worcester; 5 miles west by north of Bromsgrove. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £10 6s. 8d.; gross income £287. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. Here is a Sunday school. The poor of the parish have the privilege or sending 15 children to an endowed school at Cutral Green, in the parish of Elmeley Lovett. Acres 1,650. Houses 29. A.P. £1,903. Pop., in 1801, 174; in 1831, 177. Poor rates, in 1838, £64 3s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Rushock – a parish in Halfshire hundred, lower division, 4 miles W.N.W. from Bromsgrove, and 120 from London; containing 32 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. T. Morgan, incumbent; instituted 1814; patron, the King. Population, 1801, 174 – 1811, 185 – 1821, 181.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.Marriages at Rushock 1667 to 1837 - Archive.org
Rushock (anciently Rushoke Regis and Russococ) was formerly a chapelry to Chaddesley, but is now an independent rectory; it is 5 miles N. of Droitwich, 5 S.E. of Kidderminster, 3 W.N.W. of Bromsgrove, and 12 N. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Halfshire; polling district of Chaddesley Corbett; poor-law union, petty sessional division, county court district, and highway district of Kidderminster; annual rateable value, £2,100; area of parish, 1,218 acres; population in 1861, 159; in 1871, 161, with 34 inhabited houses and 36 families or separate occupiers. The soil is fertile, producing wheat, barley, beans, and fruit. The trustees of the Wolverhampton Grammar school are lords of the manor, and with William Orme Foster, Esq., are the principal landowners. Rushock is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Kidderminster; the living is worth £330, with residence, and 21 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Chancellor, who was instituted in 1873. The church, dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels, is a small cruciform structure with no special architectural features. It stands on an elevated site, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, and tower, and has accommodation for 170 worshippers, 130 of the seats being free and unappropriated. It was built at a cost of £503. Through the exertions of the Rev. Melville R. Moore it has been thoroughly restored at a cost of about £400, raised by subscription. It was reopened for divine service, April 17th, 1872. T. D. Baker, Esq., architect, of Kidderminster, prepared the plans and superintended the restoration gratuitously. A stained east memorial window to the late rector (Rev. John Piercy) has been recently placed in the church by subscription. A new and powerful organ, by Nicholson of Worcester, was presented by the rector in 1877. The nave and chancel have been laid with Webb’s encaustic tiles, and the tower has been raised considerably, the expense being defrayed by subscription. The reading-desk, pulpit, and lectern are all of oak and entirely new. The old square seats have been removed and substituted by stalls. The earliest register is dated 1686. There is a parochial school and a Dorcas society in the parish.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive by messenger from Droitwich at 9 a.m. The letter-box at the schoolhouse is cleared at 5 p.m. on weekdays only. Bromsgrove, Kidderminster, and Droitwich are the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Droitwich.
Parish Church (St. Michael and All Angel’s). – Rev. Melville Russell Moore, B.A., Rector; Messrs. John Newey and William Lett, Churchwardens; Mr. E. Bradley, Organist; William Clarke, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls). – Miss Amos, Mistress.
Moore Rev. Melville Russell, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
Newey Mr. John, The Hill house
Snow Mr. John, Rushock court
Amos Miss, schoolmistress
Bellamy Thomas, farmer, Clattercut and Wood farms
Heath John, farmer, Gabb’s farm
Higley Edwin, blacksmith
Lett William, farmer, New farm and Rushock Court farm
Newey George, Lowbridge farm
Newey J., farmer, The Hill and Lowbridge
Osborne George, farmer, Leylands and Beech Elm farms
Packwood Wm., shopkpr., Rushock wood
Yates James, farmer and parish constable
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Rushock is a small parish, situate about 3 miles N.E. from Kidderminster, and contained in 1851 a population of 214 inhabitants.
The Church, which was rebuilt in 1756, is very pleasantly situated on a hill, and contains nave, chancel, and north and south transepts, and at the west end is a small tower. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. Rev. John Piercy, LL.B., Rector; Mr. John Jackson, Clerk. Service - 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Piercy Rev. John, LL.B., Rector, Rectory
Lett Mrs. S., Nash Hill
Baynton Samuel, farmer, Haymans; also of Worms Field
Bellamy Thomas, farmer, Wood Farm
Jackson Sarah, shopkeeper
Lett Joseph, farmer, New Farm
Newey John, farmer
Packwood William, shopkeeper
Taylor John Lythall, blacksmith
Tippin James, shopkeeper and fruit dealer
Watkins Joseph, farmer, The Laylands; also of the Gabbs
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Rushock , 4 miles from Bromsgrove, containing 30 houses, and 174 inhabitants.
Bellamy John, farmer
Burford Joseph, farmer
Everton Thomas, farmer
Hallen Rev. George
Jackson George, farmer
Lett John, farmer
Lilley John, farmer
Newry William farmer
Taylor Charles, smith
Watkins John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.