Rous Lench is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Alternative names: Radulphi
Other places in the parish include: Radford.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1538
Parishes adjacent to Rous Lench
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Lench (Rouse), a village and a parish in Evesham district, Worcester. The village stands 2 miles W of the boundary with Warwickshire, 5½ SW by W of Alcester r. station, and 7 NNW of Evesham.—The parish contains also the hamlet of Radford, and is bounded on the N by Radford brook. Post town, Evesham. Acres, 1,380. Real property, £2,069. Pop., 306. Houses, 69. The manor belonged formerly to the Rouse family, and belongs now to Sir Charles R. Boughton, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £400. Patron, Sir W. E. R. Boughton, Bart. The church is ancient, has a lantern tower, and contains several fine monuments of the Rouses.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Lench, Rouse, or Radulphi, co. Worcester.
P. T. Alcester (103) 5½ m. S W b W. Pop. 258.
A parish in the middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 9l. 0s. 5d.; church ded. to St. Peter; patron (1829) Sir J. D. Broughton, Bart.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Rouslench – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 7 miles N. from Evesham, and 109 from London; containing 54 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. William Williams, incumbent; instituted 1817; patron, Sir C. W. R. Broughton, Bart. Population, 1801, 231 – 1811, 235 – 1821, 258.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Rous Lench Marriages 1539 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.
Rouse Lench Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Rouse Lench is a small village and parish, about 7 miles from Evesham, 6½ from Pershore, and 7 miles from Alcester, containing in 1851 a population of 277 inhabitants.
The Church is a very old stone building, containing nave and chancel. The chancel and south doorway are Norman, and the other portions are in the pointed style of architecture. There is a small bell-cot, containing two bells. In the wall over the south door is a recess, containing a sculptured figure, with the right hand raised, as though in the act of benediction, the left hand holding something, the character of which cannot be ascertained. It is supposed by some persons that the figure is intended to represent St. Peter, to who the church is dedicated. There are several monuments to the Rouse family, among which is a very fine marble one to Lady Frances Rouse, dated 1715, with the statue of that lady is a sitting posture, holding in her right hand a heart; and by her on an urn are two doves billing. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Broughton family. Rev. Charles Pocock, M.A., Rector; Mr. Robert Wilkins, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Fryer Mrs. E.
Pocock Rev. Charles, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Brookes William, wheelwright and carpenter
Checketts Giles, farmer
Collins Henry, carpenter
Cowley William, blacksmith
Dowding John, shoe maker
Gilbert William, farmer
Harwood Jemima, victualler, Wheelbarrow and Castle
Heming Jonathan, miller, Radford Mill
Hodgetts Benjamin, blacksmith
Lane Thomas, farmer, Radford
Partington John, farmer
Rand William, maltster
Tomes Alfred, farmer
Union William B., farmer and victualler, The Bell
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Rouslench Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Rouslench, 6 miles from Alcester, containing 44 houses, and 231 inhabitants.
Bristow William, vict.
Clewer Richard, butcher
Cole John, farmer
Frier John, shoemaker
Gilbert Richard, farmer
Gilbert William, farmer
Haywood Wm. farmer
Heming William, smith
Heming Ann, farmer
Heming Thos. carpenter
Lane Mary, farmer
Partington James, farmer
Partington J. sen. farmer
Perks William, farmer
Vincent Thomas, farmer
Williams Rev. Mr.
Yeend John, bone setter
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury