Rock or Rock with Heightington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Alton, Heightington, Upper and Lower Lindons, Snead Moor, Hollin and Stildon and Conyswick.
Church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin: 1548
Nonconformists in Rock include: Plymouth Brethren, Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Rock
- Areley Kings
- Far Forest
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROCK, a parish in the district of Cleobury-Mortimer and county of Worcester; 3½ miles SE of Cleobury-Mortimer r. station, and 4½ SW of Bewdley. It includes the village of Heightington, the constable wicks of Alton, Lower Lindon, Upper Lindon, Hollin-with-Stilton, Rock-with-Sneade, and Moor-with-Conningswick, and part of the chapelry of Far-Forest; and has a post-office under Bewdley. Acres, 7,754. Real property, £9,140; of which £166 are in mines. Pop., 1,379. Houses, 318. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £1,110. Patron, Mrs. Reiss. The church is mainly Norman, partly of the 15th century; and was recently restored. A chapel of ease is at Heighington; Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels are at Buckeridge; and a Wesleyan chapel is at Callow-Hill. There are two endowed schools with £10 a year, and alms-houses with £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1831
Rock, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Doddingtree, county of Worcester, 4¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Bewdley, containing, with the hamlets of Alton, Hightington, Lindons, and Snead, 1266 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £17. 11. 8., and in the patronage of Mr. Woodhull and others. The church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is very ancient. There is a charity school, the salary of the master being paid out of the crown rent.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
NOAKE'S GUIDE TO WORCESTERSHIRE
On the south-west side of Bewdley is the parish of Rock, with the chapelry of Heightington, some twenty miles in circumference, comprising the lord ships of Alwynton, or Alton, of Upper and Lower Lindons, of Snead Moor, and Conyswick, and of Heightington, a population of about 1,400, all agricultural, save only a few colliers. Grain crops, chiefly wheat, are grown; acreage, over 8000. W. L. Childe, Esq., of Kinlet, is lord of the manor of Alton, the chief manor of Rock, and the principal landowners are Sir Edward Blount, Mr. Higginbottom, of Pensax, and Mr. Wheeler, of Warsley. The parish is hilly and bleak, and the cottages scattered; substratum of soil, old red sandstone, in which are found strata of coal, varying from two to three feet in thickness; surface soil, clay or marl; and lime also is raised. This is one of the Worcestershire districts famous for longevity. Betty Palmer, born here, died in 1782, aged 113; her brother Richard lived to be a centenarian, and their father and mother to be 102 and 103. Sarah Davis, of Rock, died in 1856, at the age of 103. In the last ﬁve years, out of 100 deaths registered, 4 were upwards of 90 years of age, 14 were more than 80, and 15 were between 70 and 80.
The living is one of the best in the county, value £1,110, with 30 acres of glebe. Patron, J. H. James, Esq., of Kingswood, Hertfordshire; rector, Rev. A. James. There are 400 seats, all free, in the church. This structure is one of the most stately village churches in the county, with ﬁne specimens of Norman work in the chancel arch, north wall, and doorway. The south side of the building, with chapel, and the tower, were reconstructed in the Perpendicular style by one of the Coningsby family in 1510; and in 1861 the church was restored at a cost of £2,000, mainly through the efforts of the former rector, Rev. A. Severne, and memorial windows have been inserted. Among the things to be noticed here are a curious old circular font and an ancient chest made of the trunk of a tree, rudely hacked into a square shape.
A grammar school was founded at Rock by Edward VI, who endowed it with £5. 2s. 4d. per annum, an endowment which is now paid to the master from the produce of the Crown lands. The appointment of the master is in the hands of the rector of the parish, subject to the license of the Bishop, and the present school-room was erected by subscription in 1806 as a substitute for the old chantry of St. Mary and St. George within the parish church, which is of right the school-room of the grammar school. This grammar school, however, is practically merged in the national school of the parish, to which endowments have been left by the late Mr. Green, of Astley, Mr. Nott, of Warsley, and Mr. Edward Wheeler, of Worcester and the New House; while a master’s cottage and school-room have been recently given to the parish by the present Vicar of Mamble and Bayton (the Rev. D. Davies). The school is worked under Government inspection, with a master, sewing mistress, and monitor.
A portion of Rock, in Bewdley Forest, and a portion of Ribbesford, were united a few years ago into an ecclesiastical district, with church, school, and parsonage, and much good has been done among the foresters, in former times a very rough set. There are also in the parish Wesleyan, Plymouth Brethren, and Baptist chapels. Henry Oasland, born at Rock, was one of the ejected ministers in 1662; he was a well-known Puritanical preacher, and author of “The Dead Pastor yet Speaking.”
On December 2nd, 1645, the King and his army lay at Rock, after one of the wearisome eountermarchings of the civil wars.
Source: Noake's Guide to Worcestershire. Longman and Company. 1868
WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822
Rock – a parish of considerable extent, nearly 20 miles in circumference, in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 4½ miles S.W. from Bewdley, and 124 from London; containing 245 inhabited houses. The church, which stands upon an eminence, consists of a spacious nave, south aisle and chancel, with a square tower, containing six bells. From its semicircular arches and zigzag mouldings, it appears to be of Saxon architecture, and like most of the churches built at an early period, it is descended by several steps. It has been partly new pewed, but is still in a dilapidated state, and contains nothing worthy of remark, but some very ancient monuments, the inscriptions on which are nearly obliterated. In this parish was formerly a large oak, held in great veneration, by the country people, and supposed to be that under which St. Augustine met the British Bishops. When the turnpike was first erected, the trunk served as a habitation for the keeper, and was by him burnt down. In the centre of a wood, in the eastern part of the parish, is a great botanical curiosity, called by the people in the neighbourhood, the Quicken Pear Tree, but which Mr. Pitt, in his Philosophical Transactions for the year 1678, describes as the Sorbus Satixa Pyriformis. Its fruit and bark resemble the pear-tree, but its leaf and blossom the mountain ash. Several experienced gardeners have endeavoured to propagate it, but without effect. At Hanley-Castle, in this county, is a tree of the same description. The living is a rectory; in the diocese of Hereford, and archdeaconry of Salop; Rev. H. W. Hill, incumbent; instituted 1812; M. Woodhull, &c. patrons. Population, 1801, 1094 – 1811, 1185 – 1821, 1266.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Alton, a hamlet in the parish of Rock, county of Worcester, noted for its hop plantations.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851
Heightington, a township and chapelry in Rock parish, county of Worcester; 3 miles west of Stourport. Living, a curacy annexed to the rectory of Rock. Returns with the parish.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1831
Lindon, a hamlet in the parish of Rock, lower division of the hundred of Doddingtree, county of Worcester. The population is returned with the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831.
Rock Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury