Ripple

Photo of St Mary the Virgin parish church, Ripple, Worcestershire, seen from the southwest by Hugh Llewelyn, some rights reserved.

Ripple Worcestershire Family History

Ripple is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Queenhill is a chapelry of Ripple.

Other places in the parish include: Holdfast, Ryall, Holly Green, The Grove, Naunton, Uckinghall, and Sexton’s Load.

Parish church: St. James; St Mary the Virgin

Parish registers begin: 1558

Parishes adjacent to Ripple

  • Bushley
  • Twyning
  • Tewkesbury
  • Upton upon Severn
  • Queenhill
  • Earl’s Croome
  • Strensham
  • Severn Stoke
  • Hill Croome

Historical Description

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Ripple, a village and a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester. The village stands adjacent to the Malvern and Tewkesbury railway, at the boundary with Gloucestershire, near the river Severn, 3½ miles N N W of Tewkesbury; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Tewkesbury. The parish contains also the hamlets of Queenhill and Holdfast, and comprises 4,140 acres. Real property, £8, 502. Pop., 1,045. Houses, 253. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Mrs. Parkhurst. R. Hall is the residence of J. Empson, Esq. Market-gardening is largely carried on. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Queenhill, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £1,000. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Ripple, a parish in the lower division of Oswaldslow hund, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester; 2½ miles south-east by south of Upton-upon-Severn. It includes the chapelry of Queenhill and the hamlet of Holdfast. Living, a rectory with the curacy of Queenhill, in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £42 6s. 4d.; gross income £1,248; nett income £1,186. Tithes commuted in 1801. Patron, the bishop of Worcester. Here is a day and Sunday school. Charities, in 1830, £128 13s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £254. Acres 4,140. Houses 222. A.P. £6,009. Pop., in 1801, 679; in 1831, 972.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Ripple – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 4 miles N.N.E from Tewkesbury, and 108 from London; containing 142 inhabited houses. It is a rectory, with the chapelry of Queenhill annexed; Rev. Job Walker Baugh, incumbent; instituted 1812; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. Population, 1801, 679 – 1811, 890 – 1821, 780.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Ripple (with the Chapelry of Queenhill, and the Hamlets of Holdfast, Holly Green, Naunton, Sexton’s Load, Ryall, and Uckinghall) Billings Directory 1855
Ripple Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Ripple with Queenhill and Holdfast
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Pershore
  • Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow; Pershore
  • Province: Canterbury