Ripple is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Queenhill is a chapelry of Ripple.

Other places in the parish include: Holdfast, Ryall, Holly Green, The Grove, Naunton, Uckinghall, and Sexton’s Load.

Parish church: St. James; St Mary the Virgin

Parish registers begin: 1558

Parishes adjacent to Ripple

Historical Descriptions

Ripple

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Ripple, a village and a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester. The village stands adjacent to the Malvern and Tewkesbury railway, at the boundary with Gloucestershire, near the river Severn, 3½ miles N N W of Tewkesbury; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Tewkesbury. The parish contains also the hamlets of Queenhill and Holdfast, and comprises 4,140 acres. Real property, £8, 502. Pop., 1,045. Houses, 253. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Mrs. Parkhurst. R. Hall is the residence of J. Empson, Esq. Market-gardening is largely carried on. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Queenhill, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £1,000. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Ripple, a parish in the lower division of Oswaldslow hund, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester; 2½ miles south-east by south of Upton-upon-Severn. It includes the chapelry of Queenhill and the hamlet of Holdfast. Living, a rectory with the curacy of Queenhill, in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £42 6s. 4d.; gross income £1,248; nett income £1,186. Tithes commuted in 1801. Patron, the bishop of Worcester. Here is a day and Sunday school. Charities, in 1830, £128 13s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £254. Acres 4,140. Houses 222. A.P. £6,009. Pop., in 1801, 679; in 1831, 972.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Ripple – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 4 miles N.N.E from Tewkesbury, and 108 from London; containing 142 inhabited houses. It is a rectory, with the chapelry of Queenhill annexed; Rev. Job Walker Baugh, incumbent; instituted 1812; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. Population, 1801, 679 – 1811, 890 – 1821, 780.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Holdfast

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Holdfast, a hamlet in Ripple parish, Worcestershire; north of Tewkesbury, between the rivers Severn and Avon. Mrs. Ann Bowyer gave to tbe poor of this hamlet an acre of meadow-land, lying in Upton Lower Ham, and also two cattle pastures in Upton parsonage moors, producing, in 1830, £5 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £53 5s. Acres 740. Houses 19. A. P. £2,175. Pop., in 1801, 84; in 1831,86.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Holdfast – a hamlet in the parish of Ripple, Worcestershire, and hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 1½ mile S. from Upton-on-Severn, and 108 from London; containing 18 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 84 – 1811, no return – 1821 89.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley’s Directory of Ripple 1840 – Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Ripple Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Ripple is a very large, wide-spreading parish, about 3 miles from Upton, containing, with the hamlets. According to the last census, a population of 1097 inhabitants.
A monastery is said to have existed here in the year 770, and was granted to the church of Worcester, by Duke Aelfred, in the early part of the ninth century.
Queenhill is a small chapelry, with a population of 124 inhabitants.
The hamlets do not require any remark; the trades, &c., will be found separate.
The Church, at Ripple, dedicated to St. James, is a very ancient structure, in the Gothic style of architecture, with massive square tower, containing six bells. The living is a Rectory, with the chapelry of Queenhill, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. Rev. G. Hill Clifton, M.A., Rector; Mr. Richard Hay, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
The Chapel of Ease at Queenhill is a very small building. Rev. Joseph H. Grice, Curate; Mr. James Thomas, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
The National Schools, with residence for the teachers, are of recent erection, and are well adapted for the purpose for which they were built. Mr. William Pear, Master; Mrs. Pear, Mistress. Average number of scholars of both sexes, about 100.
Charities – The charities amount to about £120, and are distributed according to the trust deeds.

DIRECTORY

Clifton Rev. George H., M.A., Rector
Empson John, Esq., Ripple Hall
Barwich Thomas, blacksmith
Biddle John, shoe maker
Brown George, market gardener,
Brush James, mason
Cosnett Charles, shoe maker
Ellt Sarah, carpenter and wheelwright
Hall Joseph, farmer
Hay James, shoe maker
Hay Richard, shopkeeper, Sub-Postmaster, and Parish Clerk
Horniblow William, farmer, Bow Farm
Hudman Thomas, shoe maker
Marshall Hannah, shopkeeper
Meek Daniel, victualler, Stratford Bridge House
Simons James, wheelwright
Tandy John, beer retailer

Queenhill

Bruorton George, farmer
Greaves William, farmer
Lee John, farmer
Smith William, farmer

Holdfast

Clarke Charles, farmer
James William, veterinary surgeon
Stokes William, farmer
Williams J., farmer
Woodward William, miller and farmer

Holly Green

Broom Mrs. Penelope, Holly Green Villa
Bell Richard, builder
Bird Thomas, solicitor
Bryan The Misses, boarding school
Cottrill William, market gardener
Ellt Samuel, market gardener
Hill John, market gardener
Howship John, farmer
Morris John, shopkeeper
Wintle James, painter and glazier

Naunton

Blackburn William, carrier
Rickards John, farmer
Spencer George, farmer
Williams Rees, lime burner
Willis George, market gardener
Willis William, market gardener

Sexton’s Load

Lane Henry, farmer
Smith George, boat owner

Ryall

Anderson John, Esq., Ryall Hall
Davies Mr. David, Ryall Cottage
Brown George, market gardener
Dovey William, farmer
Jakeman Thomas, wheelwright, Ryall Grove
Hemus William, farmer
Holland Thomas, farmer, Ryall Court
Hooper James, market gardener, Ryall Grove
Hyde Richard, beer retailer, Horse and Groom, Ryall Grove
Moore Thomas, farmer, Ryall Grove
Pendrey Eli, shopkeeper, carpenter, and wheelwright, Ryall Grove
Wagstaff Eliza, victualler and blacksmith, Blue Ball, Ryall Grove
Webb Thomas, blacksmith, Ryall Grove
Willis James, farmer, Ryall Grove
Woodward George, farmer, Ryall House

Uckinghall

Allard Edwin, farmer
Allard Thomas, farmer
Chandler Henry, butcher
Gaskins William, market gardener and shopkeeper
Glover Miss, farmer
Langley Matthias, shopkeeper and shoe maker
Thould Samuel, farmer
Williams Elizabeth, market gardener
Willmore Job, market gardener

Post Office, near the Church – Richard Hay, Sub-Postmaster. Delivery, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 4 30 p.m. Carrier – To Worcester, Blackburn, Sat., 7 a.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Ripple Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Ripple, near Upton-upon-Severn, supposed to be a place of some note formerly, having many remains of antiquity. It contains 130 houses, and 679 inhabitants. Queenhill and Holdfast are chapelries to Ripple.

Adams Francis, farmer
Allard Thomas, farmer
Barnes John, farmer
Baugh Rev. J. W.
Bennett George, butcher
Best John, gardener
Bird Phillip, carpenter
Brunsden Charles, tailor
Cam Henry, carpenter
Carr Edmund, esq.
Carr Captain John
Cartridge Wm. farmer
Castle Thomas, farmer
Chandler Benj. butcher
Davis Sam. sen. dealer
Davis Sam. jun. dealer
Detheridge Richard, baker and farmer
Dingley James, esq.
Glover Susannah, farmer
Gurney Wm. huckster
Hall Sarah, farmer
Hall William, farmer
Hatch Nancy, widow
Hay Richard, shopkeeper
Jakeman P. geese dealer
Lane William, farmer
Martin John, farmer
Martin Paul, farmer
Matty John, farmer
Matty William, gent.
Moore Thomas, farmer
Nott William, farmer
Parker Thomas, vict.
Philpot Rev. H. C.
Pratt John, farmer
Price John, farmer
Rickards John, farmer
Rudge Wm. gardener
Sealey Samuel, gent.
Spencer George, farmer
Thacker T. bricklayer
Thould Samuel, farmer
Walker John, farmer
White Richard, farmer
Wilkshire John, carrier
Wilkshire James, carrier
Wilmore Thos. gardener
Williams George, smith
Williams T. shopkeeper
Willis John, gardener
Yates Charles, gent.

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Holdfast and Eastington Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Barnes Thomas, gent.
Barnes J. K. gent.
Berkeley John, esq.
Berkeley John, jun. gent.
Clarke William, farmer
Martin Rev. Joseph
Potter Henry, farmer
Rayer William, esq.
White Joseph, farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Ripple with Queenhill and Holdfast
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Pershore
  • Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow; Pershore
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts