Redmarley D’Abitot Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Redmarley D’Abitot is a village and parish, about 6 miles S.E. from Ledbury, containing in 1841 a population of 981 inhabitants, and 1192 in 1851.
The National Land company purchased an estate in this parish called the “Lowbands,” and erected a number of cottages for the members of that company, but at the present time we understand there is not more than one of the original tenants on the estate, which is now in other hands. At first sight the tenements have a very pretty effect, and appear to be well suited for the labouring classes. They were designed by that enthusiast, Fergus O’Connor, Esq., who at the present time is, we believe, an inmate of a Lunatic Asylum.
The Church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a stone erection, in the Gothic style of architecture, with a very handsome tower, containing a fine peal of six bells. The font is very ancient. The living is a Rectory. Rev. Edward Niblett, M.A., Rector; Rev. Alfred Newton, Curate; Mr. Joseph Lowe, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The National School is supported by contributions and the children’s payments. No mistress had been appointed at the tie our information was taken.

DIRECTORY

Commeline Miss N., Round Bush
Cooper Edward, Esq., Wetherdine
Moore J., Esq., Fairfield
Newton Rev. Alfred, Curate
Niblett Rev. Edward, Rector, Rectory
Palmer Frederick, Esq., Down House
Robert Major-General H. G., Hazeldine House
Wigley Mrs. Mary, Hawtridge House
Allen Richard, shopkeeper, Hawcross
Aston John, shoe maker
Barland Charles, shopkeeper
Barland Edward, veterinary surgeon
Beach John, farmer, Redmarley Park
Brooks Edward, blacksmith
Brundel John, farmer
Clarke William, farmer, The Heath
Colwell John, cooper, The Rock
Cooper James, farmer, Saxfield House
Crowse John, miller, Blackford’s Mill
Daniels John, shoe maker
Dobbins Robert, farmer and Constable
Edwards Thomas, farmer, King’s Green
Finch William, farmer, Berend Farm
Fisher Henry, butcher, Park Gate
Fryer Edwin, butcher
Goode William, shoe maker
Hawkins Joseph, farmer, Hart’s Farm
Hidden Wm., shopkeeper, Round Bush
Hodges William, farmer, Evrest
Hooper William, farmer
Hughes Benjamin, carpenter, Hawcross
Jones Samuel, victualler, Rose and Crown
Keel Thomas, shoe maker
Lowe Joseph, tailor and Parish Clerk
Owen Anne, Sub-Postmistress
Page Thomas, wheelwright and shopkeeper
Pennell John, farmer, Bury Court
Powell John, shopkeeper and carpenter
Preston John, shoe maker, Redmarley Green
Priddey John, beer retailer, The Oak
Robinson John, blacksmith
Robinson Mrs., farmer, The Heath
Russell James, farmer and miller, Bury Mill
Stallard Joseph, farmer, Chapel Farm
Stephens James, carpenter and wheelwright
Stephens Mary, beer retailer
Stoke Charles, farmer, Murrell’s End
Tandy William, gardener, The Heath
Teague William, shopkeeper and bricklayer
Whittle Sarah, farmer, Carpenter’s Farm
Wilkes George, tailor, Hawcross
Williams John, bailiff to Mr. J. Stallard
Post Office – Owen Anne, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855