Powick, Worcestershire Family History

Powick is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Cleveload, Woodsfield, and Clevelode.

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin: 1662

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Roman Catholic.

Parishes adjacent to Powick

  • Great Malvern
  • Madresfield
  • Kempsey
  • Worcester St Peter the Great
  • Newland
  • Severn Stoke
  • Bransford
  • Worcester St John the Baptist, Bedwardine

Historical Descriptions

Powick

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Powick – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 2 miles S.S.W. from Worcester, and 113 from London; containing 287 inhabited houses. It is a pleasant village, seated on the river Teme, which falls into the Severn in this neighbourhood. This place gives the title of Earl to the noble family of Lygon, elevated to the peerage a few years since, for their loyalty and attachment to the king. The church is an ancient Gothic structure, standing on an eminence, and presents a pleasant object, but contains nothing worthy of particular note. It is recorded of Eleazar Jackson, incumbent of this place during the civil wars, that being called upon to take the Solemn League and Covenant, he required that they would allow him till the following morning to consider of it. When applied to the next day, he stated that he had left it upon his table the preceding evening, and in the night some rogues had broken in, and stolen whatever they considered valuable; but, rogues as they were, they had not taken the Solemn League and Covenant, and therefore he must beg to be excused. The living is a vicarage; Rev. J. F. S. F. St. John, incumbent; instituted 1816; patron, the Earl of Coventry. Population, 1801, 1172 – 1811, 1219 – 1821, 1360.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Clevelode

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Clevelode, a chapelry, in the parish of Powick, union of Upton-on-Severn, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 6 miles (SSW) from Worcester; containing 31 inhabitants. It comprises between 200 and 400 acres, chiefly meadow land; the site is elevated, and the surface undulated, and in some parts ornamented with wood. The river Severn flows past the village. This was formerly a separate rectory, and is stated to have been annexed to Madresfield in 1595: the chapel has been demolished.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Stanbrook Hall

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Stanbrook-Hall, in the parish of Powick, 4 miles from Worcester, the residence of Abraham Thompson, Esq.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley’s Directory of Powick 1840 - Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Powick Littleburys Directory 1879
Powick Billings Directory 1855
Powick Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Powick Universal British Directory 1791
Cleeveload Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Powyke
  • Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
  • Hundred: Pershore
  • Province: Canterbury