Last Updated:

Powick, Worcestershire Family History Guide

Powick is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Cleveload, Clevelode, and Woodsfield.

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin: 1662

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Roman Catholic.

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Powick

Historical Descriptions

Powick

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

POWICK, a village and a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcestershire. The village stands on a rising-ground near the confluence of the rivers Teme and Severn, 3 miles W by S of Worcester r. station, and 5 from Malvern; commands fine views along the valleys of the rivers; and has a post-office under Worcester. The parish contains also the hamlets of Cleveload and Woodsfield. Acres, 5,194. Real property, £10,763. Pop. in 1851, 1,834; in 1861, 2,222. Houses, 383. The property is almost equally divided between Earl Beauchamp (who is Baron Powyke) and the Earl of Coventry. The manor belongs to the Earl of Coventry. Beauchamps Court was anciently a seat of the Beauchamps, and has left some remains at a farm-house. The Worcestershire pauper lunatic asylum stands on an eminence 1½ mile S of the church; is a red brick structure, with accommodation for 600 patients; and, in 1867, had so many inmates. A Benedictine convent is at Stanbrook; was originally founded at Salford in Warwickshire, near the close of last century; was removed to its present site about 1843; and includes a school for young ladies. An old bridge on the Teme was the scene of a defeat of Col. Sands, in 1642, by Prince Rupert; and has been superseded by a recent and elegant cast-iron bridge. The living is a vicarage, formerly united with the chapelry of Cleveload, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £330. Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is Norman and cruciform, with lofty W tower; has undergone great recent improvements in the windows and in the interior fittings; acquired an addition to its stained glass windows about the beginning of 1867; and contains some neat monuments and tablets. There are two national schools, and charities £51.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Powick – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 2 miles S.S.W. from Worcester, and 113 from London; containing 287 inhabited houses. It is a pleasant village, seated on the river Teme, which falls into the Severn in this neighbourhood. This place gives the title of Earl to the noble family of Lygon, elevated to the peerage a few years since, for their loyalty and attachment to the king. The church is an ancient Gothic structure, standing on an eminence, and presents a pleasant object, but contains nothing worthy of particular note. It is recorded of Eleazar Jackson, incumbent of this place during the civil wars, that being called upon to take the Solemn League and Covenant, he required that they would allow him till the following morning to consider of it. When applied to the next day, he stated that he had left it upon his table the preceding evening, and in the night some rogues had broken in, and stolen whatever they considered valuable; but, rogues as they were, they had not taken the Solemn League and Covenant, and therefore he must beg to be excused. The living is a vicarage; Rev. J. F. S. F. St. John, incumbent; instituted 1816; patron, the Earl of Coventry. Population, 1801, 1172 – 1811, 1219 – 1821, 1360.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Clevelode

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Clevelode, a chapelry, in the parish of Powick, union of Upton-on-Severn, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 6 miles (SSW) from Worcester; containing 31 inhabitants. It comprises between 200 and 400 acres, chiefly meadow land; the site is elevated, and the surface undulated, and in some parts ornamented with wood. The river Severn flows past the village. This was formerly a separate rectory, and is stated to have been annexed to Madresfield in 1595: the chapel has been demolished.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Stanbrook Hall

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Stanbrook-Hall, in the parish of Powick, 4 miles from Worcester, the residence of Abraham Thompson, Esq.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Online Directories

Lascelles & Co.'s Directory and Gazetteer of the City of Worcester & Neighbourhood 1851
Bentley's Directory of Powick 1840 - Archive.org
Powick Hospital Admissions Registers 1854-1906

Directory Transcriptions

Powick Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879

Powick (anciently Powyke or Poiwic) is a very pleasant village and extensive parish 3 miles S.W. of Worcester and 5 N.E. of Malvern; it occupies a gentle eminence overlooking the vales of the Severn and Teme and the city of Worcester, being on the road from the latter town to Malvern. It is in the western division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; union and highway district of Upton; polling district of St. John’s; petty sessional division and county court district of Worcester; annual rateable value, £12,422; area of parish, 5,194 acres; population in 1861, 2,222; in 1871, 2,583, with 403 inhabited houses and 411 families or separate occupiers. In the parish are four manors – Pixham, Woodsfield, and Ullathorne green, alias Beauchamp’s court, of which three manors the Right Hon. Earl Beauchamp is lord, and the Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor of Prior’s court, alias the Rectory. Part of the manor of Bransford is also in this parish. The Earl of Coventry, Earl Beauchamp, and Lord Hampton are the principal landowners here. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay; chief crops, wheat, barley, oats, turnips, hops, beans, and pasture. The parish is well watered by the Severn and Teme; and its ham, or common, is a large price of land on the west bank of the latter river. Powick was the scene of an encounter between the Parliamentarian troops and the Royalists in 1642; and in 1651 occurred the battle of Powick bridge, a portion of which erection is still standing. General Fleetwood having crossed the Teme with the right wing of the brigade, and the left having arrived at the bridge, a very severe contest took place, which lasted nearly two hours, the Royalists being eventually driven back, and pursued to the gate of the city, with great loss. A handsome new bridge was built further down the river in 1838. In 1832, two sepulchral Roman urns were dug up from a piece of land between Upton and Malvern; and in the following year, a little to the west of the village, two similar ones were found, containing the bones of children. Several ancient coins have also been found in the neighbourhood. Powick is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of its own name; living, a vicarage; value, £330, with residence; patron, the Earl of Coventry; vicar, Rev. Thomas Henry Cecil Hughes, M.A., Brasenose College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1867. The church of St. Peter is an interesting cruciform structure containing specimens of Norman and Early English work. It consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles and transepts, with western tower divided into three stages. A carved screen divides the chancel from the nave, and two others the north and south transepts. In the north transept is a handsome octagonal stone font. The east window is in the Early English style, consisting of three stained lancet lights. The north transept window was filled with stained glass by Hardman & Co., in 1875, to the memory of the late Henry Oldnall-Russell, Esq.; subject, “The Resurrection.” The church has been well restored and reseated with open benches. The register begins with the year 1662. At Stanbrook is a monastery of Benedictine nuns, numbering about 50 in community, to which a boarding-school for young ladies is attached. This community removed to their present establishment from Salford, in Warwickshire, having settled there after being expelled from France during the Revolution in 1793. Adjoining the monastery is a Roman Catholic church, erected in 1871 from the designs of the late E. Welby Pugin, Esq. The interior is fitted up with much taste and is beautifully decorated. There is a Congregational chapel (in connection with Angel street chapel, Worcester) in the hamlet of Pole elm. There are national schools in the village supported by subscription. Two groups of school buildings, conveniently arranged and of good architectural character, were erected a few years ago from the designs of Mr. Preedy, of London. There is also a school at Callow end, entirely supported by the Earl of Beauchamp, in which divine service is held on Sunday evenings. A house called “Elm Villa” has been recently purchased by J. E. Wilson, Esq., J.P., of Kent’s green, who has most liberally fitted it up as a coffee-house and working-men’s club. There is also a coffee-house at Bastonford, by the liberality of Mrs. and Miss Wodehouse of Ham hill. The County and City of Worcester Lunatic Asylum, ably presided over by Dr. Sherlock, is a very large establishment, built of red brick and surrounded with beautiful gardens, commanding a fine view of the Malvern hills, and situated on an eminence 1 mile S. of the church. It was established in 1852, and has been recently much enlarged; it will accommodate between 700 and 800 patients, but some of these are taken from other counties. The asylum, which cost upwards of £58,000 in erection, &c., is under the management of a committee of 15 visitors – 11 elected by the county and 4 by the city. King’s End, of late the seat of the Hon. John Slaney Pakington, D.L., is now occupied by Captain and Mrs. J. Dowdeswell; St. cloud is at present void. The Old Hills are picturesque eminences surmounted by clumps of trees and affording charming views of the surrounding country. At Pixham is a ferry across the Severn to Kempsey parish. Woodsfield is a hamlet 2 miles S.W.; Collett’s Green, ½ mile W.; Callow End and Brayswick, 1 ½ miles s.; Pole Elm and Stanbrook, 1 mile S.; Bastonford, 1 ½ miles S.W.; and Wheatfields, ½ a mile S.

Worcester County and City Pauper Lunatic Asylum. – James Sherlock, Esq., M.D., F.R.C.S. (Edin.), M.R.C.P. (Lon.), Medical Superintendent; F. H. Craddock, Esq., M.R.C.S. (E.), and Dr. J. De Burgh Griffiths, Assistant Medical Officers; Rev. Alfred Bond, B.A. (Trinity College, Dublin), Chaplain; John Whitmore Isaac, Esq., Treasurer; Martin Curtler, Esq., Clerk to the Committee of Visitors; Mr. Frederick A. Wheeler, Auditor; Mr. George Jenkins, Asylum Clerk; Miss Eliza Giddings, Matron; Edgar P. Smith, Storekeeper; John Pountney, Farm Bailiff; William Holloway, Engineer; …. (Blank) … , Head Male Attendant; Miss E. Wadley, Head Female Attendant.

POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Post and money-order office, Mrs. Mary Ann Harris, Sub-Postmistress. Letters arrive by messenger from Worcester at 7.15 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.20 p.m. on week-days and 11.45 a.m. on Sundays. Money-order and savings-bank business is transacted from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m. The Wall letter-box at Pole elm is cleared at 5.50 p.m. on week-days and 11.10 a.m. on Sundays. Worcester is the telegraph office and post town.

Parish Church (St. Peter’s). – Rev. T. H. Cecil Hughes, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. John Herbert and John M. Woodward, Churchwardens; William Underhill, Parish Sexton.

Roman Catholic Church and Convent, Stanbrook. – Rev. James Shepherd, Priest.

Congregational Chapel, Pole elm. – Ministers various.

National School (boys and girls), Powick. – Mr. Griffiths, Master; Mrs. Griffiths, Mistress.

National School, Callow end. – Miss A. Faville, Mistress.

Working-Men’s Club and Coffee-House. – Mr. J. Dixon, Manager.

Bransford Road Railway Station (Great Western Railway). – William Harvey, Station Master.

Steward of the Manor of Beauchamp Court (otherwise Ullathorne Green and Powick), Manor of Woodsfield, and Manor of Clevelode. – Francis Parker, Esq., 3 Foregate street, Worcester.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Beauchamp Arthur Jas., Esq., Holly lodge
Bond Rev. Alfred, B.A. (chaplain of Worcester county asylum), Holly lodge
Campbell A., Esq., The Hermitage, Stanbrook
Canning Mr., The Sandpits
Cazalet Major G. Henry, Bransford court
Craddock F. H., Esq., M.R.C.S., E., The Asylum
Crofton major-General, Rectory house
Dancocks Mrs., Bowling green
Dowdeswell Captain J., King’s end
Gibbons Miss, St. Mary’s abbey, Stanbrook
Griffiths Dr. J. De Burgh, The Asylum
Herbert Mr. John, Cross house
Hill Major W. C. (adjutant of Worcestershire militia; late captain 56th Foot), The Terrace
Hinde Major-General John, C.B., The Hermitage
Howitt Charles S., Esq., Elm bank
Hughes Rev. T. H. Cecil, M.A. (vicar of Powick), The Vicarage
Isaac John Swinton, Esq., Powyke court
Jenkins Mr. George, Rose villa
Jones Miss, Bastonford house
Leech Mrs. Ann, White house
Morais Mrs., Wheatfields
Nash Mr. Daniel, Stanbrook villa
Rea Mrs. Edward, Spitalfields
Saunders Mr. Joseph, Rose villa
Shepherd Rev. James, O.S.B. (Roman Catholic), The Monastery, Stanbrook
Sherlock James, Esq., M.D., F.R.C.S., M.R.C.P., The Asylum
Wall Mrs., Wheatfields
White Mr., Albert cottage
Williams Mr. Henry, Swiss cottage
Wilson John Edward, Esq., J.P., Kent’s green
Wodehouse Mrs. and Miss, Ham hill

AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL

Baylis H., coal dlr. And farmer, Pole elm
Bennett Ben., shoemaker, Bowling green
Bishop Charles, builder, &c.
Bomford Wm. Stone, farmer, Bush farm
Browning Alfred, fly proprietor & farmer
Butt Thomas, farmer, Whitehouse farm; and at Pirton, near Worcester
Carlos Edward, boot and shoe maker
Cazalet Major George Henry, farmer, Bransford court
Cobley Mrs., farmer, Clevelode (and in Madresfield parish)
Cooper John, farmer, Powick farm
Copson Alfred, Blue Bell Inn, and shopkeeper, Pole elm
Craddock F. H., M.R.C.S. (E.), deputy medical superintendent, The Asylum
Creese Thos., farmer and dealer, White ho.
Doley James, blacksmith, Tabberns
Edwards J., farmer & hop grower, Sandpits
Faville Miss A., schoolmistress, Callow end
Finch Henry, Coventry Arms Inn, & tailor
Fisher John, farmer and hop grower, Lower Woodsfield (and in Newland)
Fowles Thomas, coal dealer
Fowles William, beer retailer (Old Three Tuns)
Gabb James, farmer, Lower Woodsfield (and in Newland parish)
Griffin Edwin, Red Lion Inn
Griffiths Dr. J. De Burgh, assistant medical officer, The Asylum
Grizzell T., blacksmith and shopkeeper
Grundy George, farmer and butcher, Callow end and Bowling green
Grundy Mrs. Richard, butcher
Hall Geo., fmr, and dealer, Bowling green
Hall W., Pixham Ferry Inn, and coal dlr.
Harris Mrs. Mary Ann, shopkeeper and sub-postmistress, Post office
Hawkins William, farmer and hop grower, Beauchamp court
Hehir John, baker, &c., Bowling green
Herbert J., fmr. & hop grower, Broadfields
Hodges William, fly and van proprietor and beer retailer (Yellow Lion)
Holland James, blacksmith, Pole elm frm.
Holloway William, engineer, The Asylum
Horton William, coal merchant, Bransford railway station
Hughes Thomas, farmer, Collett’s green
Hyde John, pig dealer
Hyde Thomas, blacksmith and farmer, Deblins green
Jenkins Geo., clerk to Worcester county and city lunatic asylum, Rose villa
Jones James, baker and shopkpr., Pole elm
Jones James, shopkeeper, Collett’s green
Jones W., boot and shoe maker, Stanbrook
Knott Alfred, boot and shoe maker
Knott J. Mayne, shopkeeper, Bastonford
Lane Mr., horse dealer, Salt-box
Lawrence Alf., shopkeeper and bricklayer
Marshall Francis, wheelwright, &c.
Marshall J., mrkt. gardnr., Collett’s green
Oliver George, beer retailer (Crown Inn), Bowling green
Pitt Thomas, Bear and Ragged Staff Inn, near Bransford railway station
Pountney John, farm bailiff, The Asylum
Russell James, miller, &c., Powick steam and water mills; res., Newland grange, near Malvern
Sherlock James, M.D., F.R.C.S. (Edin.), M.R.C.P. (Lon.), resident physician and superintendent, The Asylum
Smith Edgar P., storekeeper, The Asylum
Smith John, farmer, Bosworth’s farm
Sprague James, wheelwright, Deblin’s gn.
Stallard John, farmer, Stockend
Stephens Samuel, cottage farmer and shopkeeper, Bush lane
Sudds William, Halfway House Inn, Malvern road, Powick
Tandy Charles, shopkeeper, Callow end
Teague William, Old Bush Inn
Thomas Joseph, blacksmith, Callow end
Thrupp Mrs. Maria, shopkpr., Callow end
Turner James, farmer, Bank farm
Underhill William, builder, Callow end
Wargent James, builder, Callow end
Watkins W., cot. Farmer, Bowling green
Wheeler G., plumber, painter, and decorator
Woodward J. Minchin, farmer, Pixham

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879

Powick Billings Worcestershire Directory 1855

Powick is a very pleasant village, situated about 3 miles from Worcester, on the road to Malvern. Its historical associations are not altogether devoid of interest, it having been the scene of an encounter between the Parliamentarian troops and the Royalists, in 1642; and in 1651 occurred the battle of Powick Bridge, a portion of which erection is still standing. General Fleetwood having crossed the Teme with the right wing of the brigade, and the left having arrived at the bridge, a very severe contest took place, which lasted nearly two hours, the Royalists being eventually driven back, and pursued to the gate of the city, with great loss. In 1832 two sepulchral Roman urns were dug up, from a piece of land between Upton and Malvern: and in the following year, a little to the west of the village, two similar ones were found, containing the bones of children. Several ancient coins have also been found in the neighbourhood. According to the last census, Powick contained 1834 inhabitants.

The County And City Lunatic Asylum possesses an estate of about forty-six acres of land, and is situate midway between Worcester and Malvern, and in the immediate neighbourhood of the village of Powick. It commands a beautiful and extensive view towards the Malvern hills, having a southern aspect. The asylum was erected for the accommodation of 200 inmates, and alterations have been made for its extension. In connection with the asylum are workshops for all ordinary trades, gas works, a farm and trading buildings, brewhouse, bakehouse, and chapel, lately erected. The staff of resident officers and servants numbers thirty-one. Under the committee of visiting Justices, the management of the asylum and the treatment of patients are carried on by a resident physician, assisted by properly qualified persons in each department. The patients are allowed every liberty compatible with their safety, and are treated on the non-restraint system. It is under the management of a committee of visitors. James Sherlock, Esq., M.D., Medical Superintendent; Rev. Edward Horton, Chaplain; Martin Curtler, Esq., Clerk to the Committee; Mr. J. C. Hume, Clerk and House Steward; Miss Giddings, Matron.

The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is large and capacious, and is of a cruciform shape, containing nave, chancel, north and south aisles and transepts, with western tower, divided into three stages. At the corners are small diagonal buttresses. A glazed screen, well carved, divides the chancel from the nave; another cuts off the south transept, and a third the north. The east window is in the early English style, consisting of three lancet lights. The other windows are apparently of later date. In the north transept is a very handsome octagonal stone font. There are several monuments and tablets to different families who have been interred here. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the Trustees of Lord Coventry. Rev. John Henry Turbitt, M.A., Vicar; Mr. Samuel Lawrence, Clerk; Miss Thomasine Taylor, Organist. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The National School, for the education of children of the parish, is supported by voluntary contributions and the children’s payments. It is a mixed school, and has one pupil teacher, being under Government inspection. Miss Jane Knott, Mistress. Average number of children, 80.

There is also a National School at Bastonford in this parish, erected in 1851, by the Earl of Beauchamp, and supported by that gentleman, Colonel Scott, and the lady of Henry Lakin, Esq. Miss E. Winwood, Mistress. Average number of children, 70.
There is a convent at Stanbrook in this parish, which belongs to the order of Benedictines, containing from twenty to thirty residents. The community removed to their present establishment about ten or twelve years ago, from Salford in Warwickshire, where they were supposed to have been resident for ages. Stanbrook, with its hall and grounds, were purchased by the community, being considered a desirable locality. The house has undergone considerable enlargement and alteration, for the accommodation of the inmates. Rev. Joseph Short, Roman Catholic Priest.

DIRECTORY

Aplin Mrs. Miriam, Swiss Cottage
Cooke Mr. James, Sandpits House
France Edward Howells, Esq., Ham Hill
Greenep Mrs. Mary, Bastonford
Harrison Mr. George, Bowling Green Cottage
Lechmere The Misses, Powick House
Morgan Rev. Edmund John, M.A.
Moore William, Esq., Elm Bank
Morton Mrs. Elizabeth Maria, Kent’s Green
Rush Alfred, Esq., King’s End House
Salisbury S. Priestley, Esq., The Hermitage
Sherlock Dr. James, Asylum
Short Rev. Joseph, Roman Catholic Priest, Moat House
Taylor Mr. John, Oldfields
Turbitt Rev. John Henry, M.A., Vicar, Vicarage
Watt Rev. William Ellis, M.A., Wheatfields
Wedgeberrow Mr. Thomas
Williams Henry Thomas, Moor House
Banks James, tailor
Baylis Henry, coal dealer, Pole Elm
Baylis John, market gardener
Bennett James, shoe maker, Bowling Green
Biggs Francis, farm bailiff to the Convent
Brown Aaron, beer retailer, farmer, and coal dealer, Crown
Bullock Edward, builder
Burgess William, shopkeeper and baker
Carloss Edwin, shoe maker
Caswell William, shoe maker
Caswell James, carpenter and shopkeeper, Pole Elm
Cobley Walter, coach proprietor and farmer, Cleveload; also of Faulkners
Collins James, gardener to Mrs. E. M. Morton, Bush Cottage
Copson James, victualler and shopkeeper, Blue Bell, Pole Elm
Crump Charles, coal dealer
Dancocks James, Registrar of Births and Deaths, and Relieving Officer for Great Malvern District, Pole Elm
Dawding H., victualler, Halfway House
Edwards John, farmer, Sandpits
Finch Henry, victualler and tailor, Coventry Arms
Finch Joseph, boot and shoe maker
Finch Mary, shopkeeper and cider retailer
Foster William, victualler, Red Lion
Green Edward, wine merchant, &c., The Rectory
Grizzell Edward, blacksmith, Pole Elm
Grizzell Thomas, blacksmith
Grundy Joseph M., farmer, The View; also of Bosworth Farm
Grundy George, butcher, Callow End
Hall George, farmer, Vineyard
Harris Elizabeth, farmer, Bransford Court
Hawkes Samuel, butler to Mrs. E. M. Morton, Kent’s Green
Haynes and Deering The Misses, Ladies’ boarding establishment, Powick Court
Heach Thomas, farmer, Beauchamp Court
Hebbern Joseph, beer retailer, and farm bailiff to Mr. W. Cobley, Old Bush
Hehir John, baker and grocer, Bowling Green Villa
Herbert Edmund, farmer, Powick Farm
Herbert John, farmer, Upper and Lower Broadfield; also of Ridgeway
Herbert Henry, farmer, Flax House
Hitchings Mary, poulterer
Hughes John Bayliss, farmer, Collett’s Green
Hyde Peter, victualler, Pixam Ferry
Hyde Ann, beer retailer, Three Nuns
Hyde Thomas, blacksmith
Jones William, shoe maker
Jones William, shoe maker, Pole Elm
King Samuel, gamekeeper to Earl Beauchamp
Knott Joseph, shoe maker
Lane Philip, wheelwright and carpenter
Lane Sarah, day school
Lawrence Samuel, Parish Clerk and Collector of Taxes
Leech Anne, farmer, White House; also of Nixons
Morris William Lewis, farmer, Five Pear Trees; also of Wheatfield, Pole Elm, and Lower Cleveload
Nicholls Susannah, farmer, King’s End Cottage
Othen William, painter and glazier, and shopkeeper
Passmore Peter, Head Keeper at Asylum
Penkivil R. S., surgeon, Holly Cottage
Perkins Harriet, milliner and dress maker
Powell John, mason
Preece Samuel, tailor, Pole Elm
Pullen William, farmer and butcher, Pool House; also of the Bowling Green, and Newland Lodge
Rea Edward, farmer, Bush, Callow End
Reynolds Mary, shopkeeper
Sprague James, wheelwright and carpenter
Stallard John, farmer, Newpool
Stallard John, farmer, Stockend
Stallard Richard, farmer, Woodsfield
Steel Samuel, beer retailer and shopkeeper, Compasses, Callow End
Stephens Samuel, cooper, farmer, and shopkeeper
Taylor Thomasine, professor of music and organist of Powick Church, Oldfields
Taylor Frances, boarding and day school, Oldfields
Turner James, farmer and butcher
Turner Benjamin, Police Officer, Station
Twinberrow Fletcher, veterinary surgeon, King’s End Cottage
Wargent William, farmer, Stanbrook Cottage
Wargent George, carpenter and builder, Callow End
Williams William, mason and builder
Williams Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Williams John, shoe maker, Pole Elm
Willis William, blacksmith and shopkeeper
Winders, blacksmith, Callow End
Wood John, shoe maker
Woodward John, farmer, Pixham
Woodyatt James, farmer, Woodsfield

Post Office – Mrs. Elizabeth Williams, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 6 a.m.; despatch, 7 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Powick Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Powick 2 miles from Worcester, on the Malvern road, containing 295 houses, and 1172 inhabitants.

Addis Thomas, glazier
Baker Fanny, farmer
Barton Widow, farmer
Batham Dr. Christopher
Benbow Thomas, farmer
Blew John, esq.
Carless Walter, esq.
Caswell John, farmer
Caswell Edmund, vict.
Constable H., blacksmith
Crane Samuel, esq.
Dalby Thomas, farmer
Denny Sir Edward, Bart.
Denny William, esq.
De Visme Andrew, farmer
Dudley William, esq.
Edwards John, farmer
Evans Richard, farmer
Fidoe John, gent.
Finch Mary, shopkeeper
Finch Thomas, farmer
Finch John, farmer
Forrest Mrs. gentlewoman
Goodyear John, gent.
Gorle Richard, farmer
Grainger E., schoolmaster
Haines Thos., shoemaker
Hartwright Wm. farmer
Herbert John, farmer
Herbert Edmund, farmer
Herbert Martha, farmer
Hide James, farmer
Hill Richard, farmer
Hopkins Mrs. farmer
Hussey Thos. shoemaker
Hunt Robert, farmer
Inns John, farmer
Jolley James, farmer
Jones James, farmer
Jones William, farmer
Lane Joseph, farmer
Leech Thomas, farmer
Leech Thos. jun. farmer
Lewis Richard, farmer
Mason John, farmer
Mealy John, farmer
Meyrick James, farmer
Moore Mrs. vict.
Newton Miss, farmer
Nichols Thomas, farmer
Nuttall Robert, esq.
Partington Thos. farmer
Prosser John, farmer
Rainsford Ann, gent.
Russell J. S. esq.
Shallard Thomas, farmer
Shepperd James, farmer
Solloway Wm. farmer
Steel Thomas, mason
St. Aubyn Rev. Mr.
Surman Robert, farmer
Taylor Joseph, tailor
Thompson Abraham, esq.
Tombs Wm. carpenter
Tompkins F. beast leech
Tulley J. hop merchant
Turner Samuel, farmer
Turner James, butcher
Twinberrow Mrs. farmer
Tyler James, farmer
Wall Thomas, farmer
Wall John, farmer
Wall George, farmer
Wattis James, farmer
Williams Eliz. farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820

Powick Worcestershire Universal British Directory 1791

Powick, two miles from Worcester, a Pleasant village on the Malvern road, has several gentleman’s seats, and being on an eminence commands pleasing views. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Within this manor are several ancient mansions, viz. Beauchamp’s Court, formerly the habitation of the honourable family of the Beauchamps, lineally descended from Henry VII. Prior’s Court belonged to the prior of Great Malvern, but now to the Earl of Coventry; and Pixam, formerly belonging to Lord Clinton. Powick is noted for having a battle fought here in 1642, known by the name of the skirmish of Wickfield, which lies between Powick bridge and the cherry-orchard, where sixteen hundred men were drawn up.

Aston John, Pole-elm
Baker Mrs. E. Brookhouse
Barrett Mr. W. Newhouse
Boraston Rev. G. Vicarage
Boulter Mr. Bowling-green
Caswell Edward, Pixam-ferry
Cole Susannah
Constable Thomas, Stanbrook
Court Richard, Bowling-green
Crump Mrs.
Dalby Samuel
Dunne Mrs. M
Edwards John, Cholic-green
Evans Thomas, Pole-elm
Fidoe John, White Chimneys
Fidoe James, Shopkeeper
Finch John, Lowhouse
Finch Thomas, Stocking
Goodwin Mrs. High-house
Gorle Mr. Callow-end
Gorle Mrs. E. Whitehouse
Groves Thomas
Hammond William, Pole-elm
Harper Mrs. M. Kent’s Green
Harris Misses, Stanbrook-hall
Herbert J. and C. Powick-farm
Hill William, Architect
Hussey John, Pole-elm
Huxley Thomas, King’s End
Hyde William, Moathouse
Jones William, Pixam-farm
Knight George
Lacon and Francis, Moorhouse
Lamb Miss A. Brookhouse
Lesingham Mrs. High-house
Mason Joseph, Callow-end
Mealy John, White Chimneys
Neale N. H. Esq.
Nichols William, Field
Nichols Thomas, Cholic-green
Olive Samuel, Beauchamp’s Court
Pearson Rev. Mr. Bowling –green
Raynsford Rev. C. J. Cross-house
Russell William, Esq. Slaughter-court
Shepherd James, Bowling-green
Smith William, Stanbrook
Surman Robert, Pole-elm
Surman Giles, Sandpits
Taylor Thomas, Baker
Thomas William, Glover
Thomas James, Five Pear-trees
Thomas John
Tully John, Schoolhouse
Turner Samuel, Pole-elm
Turner Richard
Tyler James, Pole-elm
Vincent Miss, Schoolhouse
Wall Thomas, Callow-end
Wall George, Woodcroft
Wattis James, Red Lion Inn

Source – Universal British Directory 1791

Cleeveload Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

 Crump John, farmer
Johnson Sarah, farmer
Key John, farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Solloway John, Powick, Worcestershire, horse dealer, July 16, 1833.

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Powyke
  • Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
  • Hundred: Pershore
  • Province: Canterbury