Status: Ecclesiastical Parish (until 1771)
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612
Parishes adjacent to Pirton
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Pirton, a parish, with a village, in Pershore Registration District, Worcester; 1 mile W of Wadborough r. station, and 4 ¾ WNW of Pershore. Post-town, Worcester. Acres, 1,669. Real property, £2,036. Pop., 212. Houses, 45. The property belongs to the Earl of Coventry. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Croome-D’Abitot, in the diocese of Worcester. The church is tolerable; and there is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PIRTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union, and Upper division of the hundred, of Pershore, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4½ miles (N. N. W.) from Pershore; containing 210 inhabitants. It is intersected by the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, and comprises 1682 acres of land; the soil is of a very stony quality, and the surface hilly. The living is a rectory, united to that of Croome-D'Abitot, and valued in the king's books at £8. 3.: 142 acres of land were allotted in lieu of tithes, in 1763. The church, a little to the south of the village, is a neat structure with a small tower, containing 200 sittings, of which 130 are unappropriated.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Pirton – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 3 miles N.W. from Pershore; containing 40 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Hon. and Rev. T. H. Coventry, incumbent; instituted 1816; patron, the Earl of Coventry. Population, 1801, 196 – 1811, 207 – 1821, 214.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Pirton Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879
Pirton is a village and parish 1 mile from Wadborough station on the Midland railway, 5 ½ miles W.N.W. of Pershore, and 6 S.E. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Pershore; union, petty sessional division, county court district, and polling district of Pershore; annual rateable value, £2,782; area of parish, 1,669 acres; population in 1861, 212; in 1871, 201, with 47 inhabited houses, and 54 families or separate occupiers. The Right Hon. the Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor and chief owner of the parish. The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, beans, and roots. Pirton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of East Worcester; living, a rectory, annexed to Croome D’Abitot; joint value, £550, with residence; patron, the Earl of Coventry; rector, Rev. Hugh Bennett, M.A., formerly Fellow of Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1878. The little church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, stands on an eminence overlooking a beautiful country. It is chiefly a Norman building, with Decorated and other windows inserted, and consists of chancel, nave, and a wooden tower on the north side. In the south wall of the chancel is a trefoil-headed piscina. The parish registers commence with the year 1751. The national school for Pirton and neighbouring villages has an average attendance of about 60 children. It is supported by the Earl of Coventry, the rector, and principal farmers.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive from Worcester about 9.30 a.m. The wall letter-box is cleared at 5.30 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Kempsey is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church. – Rev. Hugh Bennett, M.A., Rector; Messrs. Thomas Butt and John L. Pike, Churchwardens; James Mills, Parish Sexton.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Adelaide Louisa Cooke, Mistress.
Bennett Rev. Hugh, M.A. (rector of Pirton with Croome D’Abitot), The Rectory
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Butt Thomas, farmer, Pirton farm; and at White House farm, Powick
Cooke Miss Adelaide Louisa, schoolmistress
Fletch Oswald, blacksmith
Hampton Charles Wm., farmer, Pirton ho.
Hitchings Thomas, farmer, Surmans
Mills Davis, cottage farmer
Mills James, parish sexton
Pike John Lyford, farmer, The Hermitage (and in Pershore parish)
Shepherd Frank, farmer, Pirton court
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Pirton Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Pirton is a small parish, distant from Worcester, in an E.S.E. direction, about 6 miles, and contained in 1851 a population of 238 inhabitants.
The Church, situated on an eminence, contains nave and chancel, with small tower on the north side of the building (it originally stood in the centre, the staircase which led to it still remaining in the south wall of the nave). The style of building is of about the twelfth century. The chancel window is in the decorated style; underneath this and the west window are low buttresses; the chancel arch is semicircular, the shafts being placed in recesses. In the south wall of the chancel is a trefoil-headed piscina. The living is united with Croome, under the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Coventry. Rev. W. L. Isaac, Rector; James Jeynes, Clerk. Service - 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
The National and Infant Scholl, supported by the Earl of Coventry and the Rector, for the education of children of the neighbouring villages, is under Diocesan inspection. Maria Barrett, Mistress. Number of children, 52.
Isaac Rev. W. L., M.A., Rector, Rectory
Bradley Thomas, farmer
Butt John, farmer, Pirton Farm
Dowler William, mason and shopkeeper
Fletcher Oswald, blacksmith
Hartland Henry, farmer, Pirton Court
Potter Mary, blacksmith
Shepherd Thomas, farmer, Parsonage
Taylor Thomas, farmer
Tovey Hannah, farmer, Hermitage
Post Office - Maria Barrett, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 5 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Pirton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Bullock Thomas, farmer
Knight Susannah, farmer
Proctor John, farmer
Shepherd John, farmer
Taylor George, farmer
Woodward Geo. Farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn; Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury