Pensax, Worcestershire

Pensax is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1843 from a chapelry in Lindridge Ancient Parish.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1563

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Pensax

  • Lindridge
  • Rock with Heightington
  • Abberley
  • Stockton on Teme

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Pensax, a chapelry in Lindridge parish, Worcester; 4 ½ miles SE of Cleobury Mortimer r. station, and 6 SW of Bewdley. Post-town, Stockton, Worcestershire, under Tenbury. Acres, 1,190. Rated property, £1,543. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. Pen Hall and Pensax Court are chief residences. Coal is worked. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Lindridge. The church is a neat building, with a tower.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Pensax – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Lindridge, hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 7 miles S.W. from Bewdley, and 126 from London; containing 109 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 469 – 1811, 495 – 1821, 574.

Pensax-Court, in the above village, the residence of Thomas Clutton Brock, Esq.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Pensax Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Martley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Martley
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury