Pendock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: dedication unknown
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Pendock Cross church, also known as The Redeemer Church, was built in 1899 as a temporary mission church, but is still in use. It has an outdoor font which is stacked up on bricks.
Parishes adjacent to Pendock
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Pendock, a parish, with a village, in the district of Tewkesbury and county of Worcester; adjacent to Gloucestershire, 5 ½ miles WNW of Tewkesbury r. station. Post-town, Tewkesbury. Acres, 1,163. Real property, £2,056. Pop., 329. Houses, 74. The manor belonged to Worcester abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £330. Patron, the per. W. S. Symonds. The church is old, and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Pendock, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, though locally in the lower division of that of Pershore, county of Worcester, 5½ miles (S. S. W.) from Upton upon Severn, containing 276 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £11. 2. 11. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Pendock – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 5 miles S.W. from Upton, and 106 from London; containing 53 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. Richard F. Davis, D.D. incumbent; instituted 1810; patron, Lord Bellamont. Population, 1801, 211 – 1811, 246 – 1821, 276.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Pendock Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855
Pendock is a small village and parish, situate about 6 miles from Tewkesbury, and 5½ from Upton-upon-Severn; the population at the last census was 302.
The Church is a small old edifice, situate near the Ledbury and Tewkesbury turnpike road, with square tower, but possessing no architectural features worthy of note. The living is a Rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester. Rev. W. S. Simmons, Incumbent; Mr. James Brewer, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
There is a small Wesleyan Chapel in the parish. No stated minister. Service – 10 30 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Simmons Rev. W. S., Incumbent
Brooks Francis, farmer, Portway
Clarke John, farmer, Moore Court
Dance William, blacksmith
Davies Henry, blacksmith, Cromer Green
Davies William, shopkeeper and blacksmith
Fisher Richard, carpenter
Fisher William, farmer
Green Moses, farmer, Cromer Pit
Griffiths William, mason, Cromer Green
Hawker James, mason and shopkeeper
Humphries John, bailiff and farmer
Huntley Thomas, shoe maker
Lane William, shoe maker and beer retailer
Paine Edward, carpenter and wheelwright
Paine William, carpenter and wheelwright
Pope William, farmer, Priory Court
Rivers Charles, boarding school
Short William, farmer and beer retailer, Cromer Green
Stillman William, tailor
Stock John, farmer, Berrow
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Pendock Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Pendock, 4 miles from Upton, containing 48 houses, and 211 inhabitants.
Clarke Adam, farmer
Clarke John, farmer
Clarke William, farmer
Davis Rev. D.
Dee John, farmer
Fisher George, farmer
Hartland T. shoemaker
Hawkins John, farmer
Heath James, smith
Jackeman J. farmer
Lane Benj., shoemaker
Sheen William, farmer
Webb Thomas, cutter
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury