Overbury, Worcestershire

Overbury with Alstone, Teddington and Little Washbourne is an Ancient Parish partly in Gloucestershire and partly in Worcestershire. The Gloucestershire parts are Alstone and Little Washbourne. Teddington is a chapelry of Overbury.

Parish church: St. Faith

Parish registers begin: 1557 Separate registers exist for Alstone - See Alstone

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Roman Catholic.

Parishes adjacent to Overbury

  • Elmley Castle
  • Great Comberton
  • Ashton under Hill
  • Ashchurch
  • Teddington
  • Kemerton
  • Beckford

Historical Descriptions

Overbury

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Overbury – a parish and township in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles N.E. from Tewkesbury, and 101 from London, on the borders of Gloucestershire; containing 90 inhabited houses. Large enclosures have lately taken place here, and the roads have been much improved. In the parish is a free-stone quarry, in which are great quantities of stalactites and encrustations. It is a vicarage, with Alstone, Teddington, and Washbourne annexed; Rev. T. Clark, incumbent; instituted 1821; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 425 – 1811, 413 – 1821, 395.

Overbury-Park, in the above parish, is the residence of John Martin, Esq. M.P. for Tewkesbury. The house is seated at the foot of the Cotswould-hills, and surrounded with some very fine groves.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Conderton

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Conderton – a hamlet to the parish of Overbury, hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles E. from Tewkesbury; containing 21 houses. On Conderton hill are the remains of a Danish camp. Population, 1801, 80 – 1811, 85 – 1821, 89.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Little Washbourne

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Washbourne (Little), a hamlet in the parish of Overbury, middle division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Winchcomb, county of Worcester; 6½ miles east by north of Tewkesbury. Acreage with the parish. Houses 11. A.P. £910. Pop., in 1801, 59; in 1831, 51. Poor rates, in 1838. £23 5s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Washbourne (Little) – a hamlet in the parish of Overbury, hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 9 miles S.W. from Evesham, and 98 from London; containing 8 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 59 – 1811, 58 – 1821, 55.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley’s Directory of Overbury 1840 - Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Overbury Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855 (with Conderton, and Chapelry of Teddington)
Overbury Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Little Washborn Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Washbourne Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Pershore
  • Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury, Winchcombe
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury