Orleton is a chapelry of Eastham Ancient Parish in Worcestershire.
Church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1760
Parishes adjacent to Orleton
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870
Orleton, a chapelry in Eastham parish, Worcester; on the river Teme, 4½ miles S E of Neen-Sollers r. station, and 6½ E by S of Tenbury. Post-town, Tenbury. Acres, 538. Rated property, £757. Pop., 99. Houses, 20. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Eastham, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is good.
Source: Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ORLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Eastham, union of Tenbury, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Tenbury and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 7½ miles (E. by S.) from Tenbury; containing 111 inhabitants. It is situated in the eastern part of the parish, on the right bank of the river Teame; and consists of 538a. 2r. 31p. of a fertile soil, producing wheat, hops, and fruit. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt in 1816, at an expense of £456, and is a plain brick edifice containing 120 sittings. A rent-charge of £128 has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes, and there is a glebe of 5¾ acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Orleton – a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Eastham, and hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 6 miles E.S.E. from Tenbury, and 128 from London; containing 23 inhabited houses. A new chapel has lately been built by the inhabitants, who were liberally assisted by Sir Thomas Winnington and Col. Newport. Population, 1801, 89 – 1811, 111 – 1821, 135.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Orleton Parish Registers
The registers of Eastham (with Hanley Child and Orleton) and Hanley William, in the Deanery of Burford, 1572 to 1812 by Eastham (England : Parish); Lea, E. E; Worcestershire Parish Register Society.
The following records for Orleton are available free from FamilySearch.
Orleton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Cooke William, farmer
Davis Thomas, farmer
Meredith Joseph, farmer
Morris George, farmer
Stinton Betty, farmer
Teague William, farmer
Tench Samuel, cooper
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tenbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Tenbury
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury