Ombersley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Acton, Borley, Hadley with Hay-Elms, Mayeux with Chatley, Northampton-Parsonage with Powers, Sychampton with Brookhampton and Comhampton, Uphampton, Winnall and Dunhampton.
Church: St. Andrew
Records begin: 1574
Nonconformists in Ombersley include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
Ombersley, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, county of Worcester, 4¼ miles (W.) from Droitwich, containing, with the townships of Borley, Hadley with Hay-Elms, Mayeux with Chatley, Northampton-Parsonage with Powers, Ombersley, Sychampton with Brookhampton and Comhampton, Uphampton, Winnall with Acton and Dunhampton, 1814 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £ 15. 7. 3½., and in the patronage of the Marchioness of Downshire. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has lately been rebuilt, in the later style of English architecture, and is now one of the most elegant in the county: in the churchyard are the remains of an ancient cross, supported on steps. The river Severn passes through the parish. Here was formerly a market, granted by Edward III., but it has been long disused. A charity school was founded, in 1701, by Thomas Tolley, to which Thomas Baker, in 1722, bequeathed £100, and Richard Lloyd, in 1723, liberally endowed it with land and houses. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Ombersley – a parish of large extent in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 5½ miles N. from Worcester, and 117 from London; containing 355 inhabited houses. This village was formerly in possession of the monastery at Evesham, and was afterwards granted by King James the First to Francis and Richard More, from whom it came by purchase to the family of the present Marchioness of Downshire. It formerly had a market, but that has now discontinued. Here is a good free school for all the poor children in the parish. The church is very ancient, and the steeple being considered in a dangerous state, has lately been taken down. It is a vicarage; Rev. Thomas Sockett, incumbent; instituted 1791; patroness, Marchioness of Downshire. Population, 1801, 1696 – 1811, 1836 – 1821, 1814.
Ombersley-Court, in the above parish, the seat of the Marchioness Dowager of Downshire, Baroness Sandys. It is a handsome modern building, consisting of a centre and two wings, at an agreeable distance from the road. It was built by Samuel, the first Lord Sandys, eldest son of Edwin Sandys, who was appointed to the bishopric of Worcester in 1559, and afterwards translated to the see of London. Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Ombersley, five miles from Worcester, on the Shrewsbury road, is the seat of the Right Hon. Lord Sandys, a stately mansion, surrounded with large trees. [In] this court are several fine paintings. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a handsome spire. The village itself may be reckoned a neat healthy one. Here is a charity-school. It is a large parish, containing seventeen hamlets, and is twelve miles in circuit. It had a market granted by Edward III and a fair. Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Acton Worcestershire Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 Acton, a township in the parish of Ombersley, lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, county of Worcester. The population is returned with the parish. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831