Ombersley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
The parish contains also the hamlets of Acton, Borley, Chatley, Cumhampton, Dunhampton, Hadlay, Holt Fleet, Lineholt, Old field-Powers, Suddington, Sytchampton, Winnall and Uphampton.
Church: St. Andrew
Records begin: 1574
Nonconformists in Ombersley include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Ombersley
- Westwood Park
- Martin Hussingtree
- Elmley Lovett
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OMBERSLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Droitwich district, Worcester. The village stands 1¼ mile E of the river Severn, and 3¾ W of Droitwich r. station; is a pretty place; was once a market town; and has a post-office under Droitwich. The parish contains also the hamlets of Borley, Chatley, Cumhampton, Dunhampton, Hadlay, Holt Fleet, Lineholt, Old field-Powers, Suddington, Sytchampton, and Uphampton. Acres, 6,962. Real property, £17,085. Pop. in 1851, 2,364; in 1861, 2,463. Houses, 520. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Evesham abbey; passed to the Mores and to Archbishop Sandys; and, with Ombersley Court and much of the land, belongs now to Lord Sandys. O. Court was built about 1740; is a pleasant mansion, in a beautiful wooded park; contains some interesting portraits and other paintings; and was visited, in 1807, by the Prince Regent and the Duke of Sussex. Fruit and potatoes are extensively grown. The parish is a meet for the Worcestershire hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £400. Patron, Lord Sandys. The church was built in 1829, at a cost of £1,600; is in the decorated English style; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and lofty spire; and contains about 900 sittings. The chancel of the old church stillstands, and is used as the Sandys burial-place. The churchyard contains an ancient cross. There are endowed schools with £112 a year, and charities £82. The sub-district contains also four other parishes, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 18, 867. Pop., 5, 181. Houses, 1,093.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Ombersley, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, county of Worcester, 4¼ miles (W.) from Droitwich, containing, with the townships of Borley, Hadley with Hay-Elms, Mayeux with Chatley, Northampton-Parsonage with Powers, Ombersley, Sychampton with Brookhampton and Comhampton, Uphampton, Winnall with Acton and Dunhampton, 1814 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £ 15. 7. 3½., and in the patronage of the Marchioness of Downshire. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has lately been rebuilt, in the later style of English architecture, and is now one of the most elegant in the county: in the churchyard are the remains of an ancient cross, supported on steps. The river Severn passes through the parish. Here was formerly a market, granted by Edward III., but it has been long disused. A charity school was founded, in 1701, by Thomas Tolley, to which Thomas Baker, in 1722, bequeathed £100, and Richard Lloyd, in 1723, liberally endowed it with land and houses.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Ombersley – a parish of large extent in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 5½ miles N. from Worcester, and 117 from London; containing 355 inhabited houses. This village was formerly in possession of the monastery at Evesham, and was afterwards granted by King James the First to Francis and Richard More, from whom it came by purchase to the family of the present Marchioness of Downshire. It formerly had a market, but that has now discontinued. Here is a good free school for all the poor children in the parish. The church is very ancient, and the steeple being considered in a dangerous state, has lately been taken down. It is a vicarage; Rev. Thomas Sockett, incumbent; instituted 1791; patroness, Marchioness of Downshire. Population, 1801, 1696 – 1811, 1836 – 1821, 1814.
Ombersley-Court, in the above parish, the seat of the Marchioness Dowager of Downshire, Baroness Sandys. It is a handsome modern building, consisting of a centre and two wings, at an agreeable distance from the road. It was built by Samuel, the first Lord Sandys, eldest son of Edwin Sandys, who was appointed to the bishopric of Worcester in 1559, and afterwards translated to the see of London.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Ombersley, five miles from Worcester, on the Shrewsbury road, is the seat of the Right Hon. Lord Sandys, a stately mansion, surrounded with large trees. [In] this court are several fine paintings. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a handsome spire. The village itself may be reckoned a neat healthy one. Here is a charity-school. It is a large parish, containing seventeen hamlets, and is twelve miles in circuit. It had a market granted by Edward III and a fair.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Acton Worcestershire Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Acton, a township in the parish of Ombersley, lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, county of Worcester. The population is returned with the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Ombersley Bennett's Business Directory for Worcestershire, 1914
Ombersley Bennetts Business Directory 1899
Lascelles & Co.'s Directory and Gazetteer of the City of Worcester & Neighbourhood 1851
Ombersley Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Family History Links
- England and Wales Census, 1841
- England and Wales Census, 1851
- England and Wales Census, 1861
- England and Wales Census, 1871
- England and Wales Census, 1881
- England and Wales Census, 1891
- England and Wales Census, 1901
- England and Wales Census, 1911
- United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920
- United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Web sites about the history of Ombersley
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury