Oldberrow an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire until 1896, when it was transferred to Warwickshire, into which county it penetrated, between Morton Bagot and Ullenhall, as a narrow strip some 3 miles long by about ½ mile wide. There is no village, but the church, rectory, and the Court lie at the crossing of four small roads.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1649
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Oldberrow
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
- Church Records
Parishes adjacent to Oldberrow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OLDBERROW, a parish in the district of Alcester and county of Worcester; almost surrounded by Warwickshire, 2¼ miles W of Henley-in-Arden, and 3¼ ENE of Studley r. station. Post-town, Henley-in-Arden, under Birmingham. Acres, 1,185. Real property, £1,663. Pop., 52. Houses, 8. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Mrs. W. Newton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £208. Patron, Mrs. E. Peshall. The church is plain early English, and has a belfry.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Oldberrow – a parish in the hundred of Blakenhurst, lower division, nearly surrounded by Warwickshire, 4 miles W. from Henley-in-Arden; containing 19 inhabited houses. It takes its name from an ancient tumulus, wherein several curious warlike weapons have been found at different periods. The living is a rectory; Rev. Samuel Peshall, incumbent in his own right; instituted 1799. Population, 1801, 113 – 1811, 120 – 1821, 102.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Morton Bagot, Warwickshire, Holy Trinity bapt, marr and bur 1663-1652, and monumental inscriptions for Holy Trinity, Morton Bagot, St Mary, Oldberrow and St. Leonard, Spernall : searcheable indexes with links to the relevant pages, plus BMSGH publications (March 2001) -
Church Records - Indexes
Oldberrow Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Oldberrow is a very small parish, situate about 9 miles E. from Bromsgrove, and contained according to the last census a population of 56 inhabitants.
The Church is a plain building, and contains only a nave and chancel. Rev. Samuel D. Peshall, Vicar; Mr. John Harriss, Clerk. Service - 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Peshall Rev. Samuel D., M.A., Rector, Rectory
Green Joseph, farmer, Boarded House
Collett Thomas, farmer
Cooke John, farmer, Spring Farm
Cooke William, farmer, Bobluck
Corbett Hugh, farmer, The Court
Brown George, farmer, The Hill
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Oldberrow Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Cooke William, farmer
Gilbert Thomas farmer
Green John, farmer
Griffin Thomas, farmer
Overton James, farmer
Peshall Rev. S. D.
Tipping Henry, farmer
Wheeler Henry, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Alcester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Warwick
- Poor Law Union: Alcester
- Hundred: Blackenhurst
- Province: Canterbury