Oddingley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1661
Parishes adjacent to Oddingley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ODDINGLEY, a village and a parish in Droitwich district, Worcester. The village stands near the Worcester and Birmingham canal, ½ a mile W of Dunhampstead goods r. station, and 2½ SSE of Droitwich. The parish comprises 869 acres. Post-town, Droitwich. Real property, £1,856. Pop., 202. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Mrs. Galton. Netherwood farm was the scene of a tragical occurrence in 1806. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £173. Patron, Mrs. Galton. The church is of the time of Richard III., cruciform and good; and has some old stained glass windows and a tower. There is a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Oddingley, a parish in the lower division of Oswaldslow hund., union of Droitwich, county of Worcester; 3 miles south-south by east of Droitwich, intersected by the Worcester and Birmingham canal, and the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £4 19s. 4½d.; gross income £200. Patron, in 1835, J. H. Galton, Esq. Here is a daily school. Charities, in 1830, 12s. 6d. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £78 1s. This parish unites with Droitwich in returning a member to parliament. Acres 1,060. Houses 33. A.P. £1,112. Pop., in 1801, 110; in 1831, 157.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Oddingley – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 5 miles N.E. from Worcester, 3 from Droitwich, and 117 from London; containing 32 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. John M. Butt, incumbent; instituted 1806; patron, Lord Foley. Population, 1801, 110 – 1811, 155 – 1821, 168.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Oddingley is six miles north-east of Worcester. This manor formerly belonged to the Duke of Northumberland, but now to the Foleys. The parish is now inclosed, and has no right of commoning on that called Oddingley-heath, an extensive waste belonging to several parishes and persons. The church is dedicated to St. James; it is built in form of a cross, and has some remains of painted glass.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Oddingley Billings Directory 1855
Oddingley is a small parish, situated about 5 miles N. from Worcester, the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway running through it. The parish contained in the year 1851 a population of 185 inhabitants.
There is little doubt that this ancient parish originally received its name from two great warriors of the Saxon race, who, history relates, fought a battle on Oddingley Common or Heath. The names of these combatants were Odd and Dingley, two chiefs of the Mercian kingdom, who have also the reputation of being founders of Dudley Castle, and of the Tewkesbury monastery, in the time of Kinewold, a Bishop of Worcester. The church of Oddingley was added to Worcester about the year 941. The farm called Netherwood in this parish is the place where Heming, the murderer of the Rev. Mr. Parker, was himself murdered by his employers, who were fearful of the discovery of the horrible tragedy, Parker having been killed in the village in the summer of 1806.
The Church is a small, ancient, cruciform building, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south transepts, and western square tower, containing three bells. The building is in the perpendicular style, the windows still retaining that character. The south chancel wall contains a small, ancient piscina, and the inner wall of the porch has a stoup; the church has of late years received extensive repairs and improvements. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Howard Galton, Esq. Rev. Jackson Porter, M.A., Rector; Mr. Henry Crump, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Bearcroft Rev. James, B.A., The Grange
Porter Rev. Jackson, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Aston William, brick and tile manufacturer
Clewes Thomas, victualler, Fir Tree
Cole Thomas, farmer, Church Farm
Crump Henry, Clerk and Sexton
Crump William, shoe maker
Godard William, farmer, Park Farm
Greenhill Thomas, shoe maker and Constable
Griffin Samuel, carpenter
James John, blacksmith
Plain Joseph, shopkeeper, Trench Lane
Waterson John, farmer, Netherwood
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Oddingley Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Barnett John, farmer
Barnett William, farmer
Evans Samuel, gent
Harcourt Edward, farmer
Marshall Thomas, farmer
Nash Samuel, farmer
Price Thomas, Shopkeeper
Waterson Joseph, farmer
Williams Thos. farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury