Norton juxta Kempsey is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1781 from a chapelry in Kempsey Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Norton – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Kempsey, hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 3 miles S.S.E. from Worcester, and 109 from London; containing 78 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 337 – 1811, 405 – 1821, 517.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Norton is situated about 2 ½ miles S.E. from Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 639 inhabitants.
Hatfield is a small hamlet, about a quarter of a mile S. from the village.
Littleworth is another small hamlet, distant about one mile S.E. The population of both these places is returned with the parish.
The Church, which is pleasantly situated, consists of nave, chancel, and western embattled tower, containing three bells; the doorway in the north wall (now stopped up) is plain Norman, as is the principal entrance on the couth, and portions of the walls belong to the same date. The tower has diagonal buttresses, and the north wall is propped by buttresses of the most unartistical shape. This church, as well as that of the adjoining parish of Stoulton, was formerly a chapel of ease to Kempsey; but it appears that Norton had its christenings, marriages, &c., long anterior to 1269, for at that period the vicar of Kempsey was enjoined not to deprive the inhabitants of Norton of their ancient custom of christenings. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Rev. H. Faulkner, M.A., Incumbent; Mr. Robert Kings, Clerk. Service - 10 30 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
Charities - Mr., Thomas Hunt, of this parish, gave £100, to be laid out in land for the use of the poor. Christopher Meredith gave £3 per annum, to purchase Bibles for the Bishop’s poor tenants, for Kempsey free school. Mrs. Elizabeth Stevens, late of Woodhall, gave £100, to be laid out in land for the use of the poor of Norton and Whittington. Mr. William Richards left £10 for the poor, 40s, to be paid annually. Mr. Francis Hunt gave 10s, to be given in bread. Thomas Shead gave £5, the interest to be given to poor widows on St. Thomas’s day. There are several parcels of land, the rents out of which amount to about £11 7s., to be given to the poor, and for the repairing of the roads.
Capel Alfred, Esq., Woodhall
Faulkner Rev. Henry, M.A., Perpetual Curate, Parsonage
Hooke Mrs. S., Norton Hall
Walker George, Esq., Norton Villa
Allington John, farmer, Boulterly
Allington Thomas, jun., farmer, Strain Bridge Farm
Grimley John, tailor
Harber Henry, blacksmith and shopkeeper
Hooke Thomas, se., farmer, Newland House
Hooke Thos., jun., farmer, Norton House
Perratt Thomas, farmer, Pound House
Price James, Wheelwright
Stanton William, farmer, Norton Court
Viner Thomas, carpenter
Wall James, farmer, brick and tile manufacturer, and coal merchant, Lower House; and at Diglis Wharf, Worcester
Watson Geo., lime manufacturer, quarryman, and beer retailer, The Retreat
Hook Mr. John, Hatfield Villa
Allington Thomas, sen., farmer, Lower Hatfield
Griffiths John, farmer
Lewis John, farmer
Lowe Richard, farmer, The Grove
Fleet William, shopkeeper
Walford John, shoe maker
Wootton Samuel, carpenter
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Aston Charles, farmer
Boulter Mrs. farmer
Brewer Miss, farmer
Clewer John, farmer
Coney Ann, farmer
Griffiths Ann, farmer
Harris Mrs. farmer
Hooke Thomas. farmer
Hooke Benjamin, farmer
Mathews Thos. farmer
Parker John, farmer
Stanton William, farmer
Walford Thomas, farmer
Watkins William, farmer
Yarnold Thomas, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.