Northfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Cofton Hackett is a chapelry of Northfield.
Other places in the parish include: Bartley or Bartley Green, Bournbrook, Hay, Shenley, Shendley, and Selly Oak.
Parish registers begin: 1560
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
Northfield – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 7 miles N.E. from Bromsgrove, 6 from Birmingham, and 120 from London; containing 278 inhabited houses. The church is a Gothic building, but on the north side, there is an ancient door-way, now stopped up, which has a round Saxon arch, ornamented with mouldings. The living is a rectory, with Cofton-Hacket chapel annexed; Rev. John T. Fenwick, incumbent; instituted 1805; patron, George Fenwick, Esq. Population, 1801, 1313 – 1811, 1468 – 1821, 1567.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Northfield parish was anciently the property of the Botetourts; afterwards of the Berkeleys; but now part of the Jervois Clerke estates. Here the antiquarian will be pleased with the ruins of Wooly Castle, an ancient fortress, of which, however, little remains but the south wall. As far as it can be traced, it seems to have been in form of a parallelogram, with an extensive central area, and must have covered about half an acre, but in a very low situation; and even in ancient times would not have been a very strong place of defence, for having no keep, it might be commanded from several points. A very large and deep moat surrounded it, filled with water from a brook which runs on its north side; the whole contents of the castle and moat may, perhaps, be a couple of acres, and its scite is now occupied by a garden.
The surrounding country too is extremely well timbered, and from its diversity of surface, presents many rich and beautiful views. The parish church is well deserving the notice of the tourist. On the north side, there is an ancient doorway, now stopped up, which has around Saxon arch, with the mouldings adorned in a very singular manner, which Bishop Lyttleton, conjectures was part of the ancient Saxon building: and the chancel windows are of a very elegant style of Gothic architecture, apparently of the time of King John. Here the high-road passes through the grounds of an ancient manor-house, which stands on one Side, whilst the offices, particularly a very curious pigeon-house, are on the other. It is inhabited by a farmer, but deserves examinations.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Bartley or Bartley Green, a subdivision of Northfield parish, Worcester; near the Birmingham and Worcester railway, 6 miles SSW of Birmingham. It has a post-office, of the name of Bartley Green, under Birmingham; it forms a curacy with Northfield.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Selly-Oak, a chapelry in Northfield parish, Worcester; near the Birmingham and Worcester railway, 3 miles SSW of Birmingham. It was constituted in 1860; and it has a post-office under Birmingham. Pop., 1,483. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1861; and is in the early decorated style, cruciform, with tower and spire. Schools were built in 1860, at a cost of £1,650.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shendley, a section of Northfield parish, Worcester; 5½ miles SW of Birmingham.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Adcock H. W. toy maker
Allbutt James, smith
Allen Benjamin, gent.
Attwood Matthias, esq.
Avery William, esq.
Badger William, farmer
Ballard John, brickmaker
Bate John, shoemaker
Bingham James, gent.
Bingham H. G. wine merchant
Carpenter Charles, farmer
Cottrell Robert, miller
Davenport John, farmer
Derricourt Samuel, farmer
Derricourt Joseph, farmer
Edwards J., wheelwright
Egginton Joseph, farmer
Fallows Hannah, widow
Fenwick Rev. T. J.
Fielding John, farmer
Fisher Thos. Shoemaker
Fisher Thomas, farmer
Forman James, farmer
Fox Joseph, dealer
Greaves George, farmer
Greaves Austin, farmer
Green William, farmer
Green Thomas, farmer
Green John, farmer
Green Joseph, farmer
Grigg Samuel, farmer
Grove Edw., brickmaker
Grove Matthew, gent.
Hadley Mary, farmer
Harrison Rev. Mr.
Harrison William, farmer
Hart J. coach proprietor
Heaton William, farmer
Herps Thomas, farmer
Hinton James. smith
Hollis John, farmer
Izons Thomas, merchant
James William, & Co. coal merchants
Lea George, Carrier
Lees John, farmer
Manning T. buckle maker
Middlemores Rd. farmer
Millington John, farmer
Moss John, farmer
Moss Joseph, farmer
Newell Richard, farmer
Newell C. shoemaker
Owen David, timber merchant
Power Thomas, farmer
Power W. R. farmer
Price Thos. Brickmaker
Pritchard Thomas, farmer
Richards Henry, farmer
Rhoden Edward, farmer
Robinson W. nail maker
Rose Daniel, dealer
Sergeant T. carpenter
Shakespeare T. carpenter
Smith William, vict.
Smith John, boat builder
Smith Widow, chandler
Tay Tobias, butcher
Taylor Joseph, farmer
Taylor Isaac, farmer
Tibbetts John, farmer
Tibbetts William, farmer
Ward Henry, farmer
Watterson Joseph, smith
Watterson B. wheelwright
Whitehouse J. maltster
Whitehouse Dan. farmer
Whitehouse Isaac, farmer
Willetts Thomas, farmer
Willetts Joseph, farmer
Williams Joseph, farmer
Withers Thos., carpenter
Withers Rob., carpenter
Withers T., Parish clerk
Withers George, vict.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Austin G C, butcher, 21 High st
Bagnall E, boot maker, 15 Dawlish rd
Baldwin T, fruiterer and green grocer, 101 High st
Ball Mrs L, general hardware and fancy dlr, 23 High st and Bristol rd
Ball W, hardware dlr, 23 High st
Barratt, tea dlr, 37 High st
Bartles W, watch and clock maker, 39 High st
Beech E E, grocer, 121 High st
Bentley H, watchmaker, 134 High st
Bilson Mrs L, grocer, Exeter rd
Birmingham District and Counties Banking Company, Ltd – J Wood
Birmingham News Office, 71 High st
Blunt P M, grocer & beer retailer, 36 Dawlish rd
Bolton H, butcher, 136 High st
Bournbrook Boot Stores, Bristol rd, four from Harrow rd) – H A Munn
Bournbrook Drug Stores, High st. Agent for Camwal mineral waters
Bournbrook Hotel – T Hall, manager
Bowling Green Inn, High st – A Gilbert
Bridgwater J, baker, confectioner, family grocer, tea dlr, and provision mcht, Selly Oak bakery. Established 1862.
Buggins A, stationer, bookseller, newsagent & bookbinder, fancy bazaar, 87 High st. Dealer in all kinds of fancy goods. Agent for Mortimer’s Plymouth dyeing and cleaning works
Carpenter E, grocer & provision dlr, 24 Heeley rd
Castogni J, tobacconist, 13 Bristol rd
Chapmans G, refreshment rooms, 51 High st. Tea, coffee, and all kinds of refreshments always ready.
Clark D A & Co, cycle manufacturers, High st
Clarke D, confectioner, High st
Clarke E S R, general wood turner, Rose cottage, Bristol rd. see advt
Clarke, wood turner, Exeter rd
Clarkson J H, tailor, outfitter, hatter and hosier. The Bournbrook and Selly Oak Clothing Stores, Bristol rd
Compton T, family butcher, Bristol rd. Corned beef and pickled tongues
Cooper T, plumber, 45 Dawlish rd
Cyclists’ Arms, Bristol rd – A Gittins, manager
Cyclists Arms, coffee tavern – G Humphris, manager
Cyclists Components Manufacturing Co, Ltd
Dain H G, M.B., surgeon, Bristol rd
Dainty B, family butcher, 59 High st. Families waited on daily and supplied with best quality of English meat. A fresh supply daily
Daniel J H, painter & plumber, 136 High st
Garratt E S, draper, hosier, milliner & Berlin wool repository, 31 High st
Garbutt J, tobacconist, Bristol rd
Goode J S, milliner, draper, hosier, and haberdasher, 91 High st. Millinery a speciality
Gossage S, hardware dlr. 33 Dawlish rd
Gregory J D, surgeon, High st
Griffiths H, boot maker, 55 High st
Griffith S H, draper, 41 High st
Gun Barrels Inn, Bristol rd – G Bedford
Harbun C, tobacconist, 25 Bristol rd
Hartwell D, fruiterer, 104 Tiverton rd
Hemus A, fruiterer & greengrocer, 118 High st
Hinde J, coal merchant, 63 High street. All orders, by post or otherwise, will receive personal and prompt attention on reasonable terms
Holland A E, tailor, High st
Hollinsworth F, surgeon, High st
Hubbard J, pork butcher, 10 Dawlish rd
Hudson A, grocer and fruiterer, 1 Bristol rd
Hughes H, confectioner, 61 High st
Hughes W, fruiterer, 33 High st
Hunt W, dairyman, 90 High st
Irvine A G C, M.R.C.S., surgeon, 113 High st
Jackson and Co, grocer, Bristol rd
Jenks E, boot maker, 115 High st
Johnson B, picture frame maker, 9 High st
Jones J, beer retailer, High st
Jones J, draper & clothier, 83 High st. Established 1865
Jones M A, draper and clothier, 83 High st, Bournbrook
Jordan J, coffee bar, Dawlish rd
Lawrence & Co, printers & stationers, Steelhouse lane
Lea J, general dealer, 53 High st
Lond T, builder, High st
Lucas J, grocer, Hubert rd
Lucas J, hardware dlr, 85 High st
McDonald F, builder, Dawlish rd
Marsland J, hairdresser, 57 High st
Mills A, corn dlr and seedsman, 93 High st. Spratt’s dog biscuits
Morrell T, boot & shoe mnfr, 116 High st
Moss W H and Son, bakers, etc., Bristol rd
Moulton H J, draper, Bristol rd
National Telephone Co, Ltd, High st
Northern Division of Worcestershire Conservative Association, 39 High st – J A Harrison, secretary
Oswald C, boot & shoe maker, 29 Bournbrook
Parke Mrs, grocer & beer retailer, 52 High st
Perry W H, M.P.S., chemist, 27 High st
Peacock R C, M.B., surgeon, 113 High st
Roberts H, draper, Bristol rd
Roddis J, hairdresser, 57 Bristol rd. Gentlemen waited on at their own residences at moderate charges. All kinds of ladies and gentlemens toilet requisites kept in stock.
Roy and Hodgetts, bakers and confectioners, 43 High st
Saunders & Hatcher, grocer and hay and straw dlrs
Selly Oak, Birmingham, and District Parcel Delivery, high st – E S Garratt, propr. Deliveries daily at reasonable rates
Selly Oak coffee Tavern, High st
Selly Oak & Bournbrook Supply Stores, 102 & 104 High st
Shield A, pawnbroker, High st
Siverns J, confectioner, 6 Dawlish rd
Smith A E, grocer, provision dlr, confectioner, and fruiterer, 19 High st
Spencer G, hay and straw dlr, 93 High st
Spurrier F, rolling mills
Station Inn, High st – T Thompson
Stafford and Northampton Boot Manufacturing Co (The), 45 Bristol rd, have opened their 68th branch at the above premises, with a splendid assortment of goods at lowest possible prices. Please note the address
Stone R H, butcher, 15 Bristol rd
Tailby E, timber mcht and boat builder, High st
Thomas J A, tailor, clothier, hatter & hosier, 132 High st
Tucher F, fruit, fish, and poultry stores, licensed dlr in game, Bristol rd, corner of Harrow rd
Ushwood J, grocer & provision merchant, 114 High street
Wakefield J H, chemist, Bristol rd
West A, undertaker, 49 High st
Weston T, butcher, 89 High st
Wheeler J, fruiterer, 54 High st
Whitehouse G, beer retailer, Exeter rd
Wilson Miss, school, High st
E. S. R. Clarke, General Hard & Soft Wood Turner, Rose Cottage, Bristol Road, Bournbrook. Bowling Green Balls, Oval & Round Hammer Stails Gas Brackets, Chucks Mallets, Pulleys, &c. Builder’s Work Promptly Attended to. Established 1828.
Source: Bennetts Business Directory (Worcestershire Section) 1899; Bennett & Co. Printers and Publishers, Birmingham