North Piddle is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1565
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to North Piddle
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Registers
- Parish Records
Parishes adjacent to North Piddle
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Piddle (North), a parish in Pershore Registration District, Worcester; on the river Piddle, 3 miles E by N of Spetchley r. station, and 5 ½ N by E of Pershore. It has a postal letter-box under Worcester. Acres, 810. Real property, £1, 187. Pop., 131. Houses, 35. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £140. Patron, Earl Somers. The church is early English, and good, with a wooden lantern.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
North-Piddle – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 6 miles E. from Worcester, and 116 from London; containing 28 inhabited houses. Here is a miserable damp church, much out of repair, and by no means fit for public worship. The living is a rectory; Rev. Sam. Oldnall, incumbent; instituted 1794; patron Lord Somers. Population, 1801, 103 – 1811, 125 – 1821, 133.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Marriages at North Piddle 1571 to 1810
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records - FamilySearch
Census Records - FamilySearch
Military Records - FamilySearch
|United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920|
North Piddle Billings Directory 1855
North Piddle is a small and somewhat scattered parish, about 7 miles E. from Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 149 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small, ancient edifice, and consists of merely a nave or oblong room, with a small chancel and a wooden bell-tower. The interior of the church has anything but an inviting appearance, being in a wretched state of dilapidation. The windows are late Norman, and portions of the walls are older. Near the church is a raised bank or mound, with a moat round it, which is called “The Church Bank,” though we cannot discover any account of a house, castle, or mansion having stood there. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Earl Somers. Rev. Henry Faulkner, M.A., Rector; Mr. Thomas Nash, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
There is neither Weekly nor Sunday School in this parish.
Coates Rev. William, Unett
Botting Mr. Isaac, Humble Bee Hall
Bluck John, cooper
Boyce James, blacksmith, Grafton Bridge
Court Thomas, farmer, and cider retailer
Cowley Robert, farmer
Gibbs William, farmer, Rectory Farm
Davies James, victualler and farmer, Union
Houghton John, farmer, Humble Bee Hall
Morris George, farmer, Church Farm
Nash Thomas, Parish Clerk
Pugh Henry, farmer, New House
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
North Piddle Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Atkins Thomas, weaver
Arden William, farmer
Cottrill Robert, farmer
Cowley Robert, farmer
Ewins Edward, farmer
Green Harry, farmer
Handy Elizabeth, farmer
Hancock Henry, farmer
Jones William, farmer
Morris John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury