Mathon Ancient Parish
Mathon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: North Hill.
Parish Church: St. John the Baptist
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Protestant Dissenters.
Mathon, a parish in the district of Ledbury and county of Worcester; under the Malvern hills, adjacent to Herefordshire, 3 miles W of Great Malvern r. station. It contains part of the chapelry of West Malvern, which has a post office under Malvern. Acres, 3,366. Real property, £6,284. Pop. in 1851,824; in 1861,1,014. Houses, 194. The increase of pop. was chiefly within West Malvern chapelry; and the entire pop. in the Mathon part of that chapelry in 1861 was 539. The property in Mathon proper is divided among a few; and that in West Malvern chapelry is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Mathon Court is the seat of Mrs. Vale; Moorend House, of R. A. Swain, Esq.; Southend, of T. Bennett, Esq.; and Netherly, of R. M’Bean, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £194.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is variously Norman, decorated English, and later; underwent some recent embellishment; comprises nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains a fine old carved pulpit, a new octagonal stone font, and monuments of several ancient families. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Mathon – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 9 miles S.W. from Worcester, and 115 from London; containing 98 inhabited houses. It is a vicarage; the Rev. George Pritchett, incumbent; instituted 1794; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Population, 1801, 547 – 1811, 586 – 1821, 633.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Mathon is a large parish, situate at the foot of the Malvern hills, from which place it is distant about 4½ miles. It is a large agricultural parish, on the borders of Herefordshire, with a population, according to the last census, of 824 inhabitants, and an area of 3366 acres.
The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a very ancient building, exhibiting various styles of architecture. It consists of nave and chancel, with square turreted tower, containing six bells. There are several monuments and tablets to various ancient families who have resided in the neighbourhood. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Rev. Archibald James Douglas, Vicar; Rev. Philip H. Lee, Curate; Mr. Peter James, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small Parochial School, supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Mary Ann Cohen, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 40.
Douglas Rev. Archibald James, Vicar
Lee Rev. P. H., Curate
Vale Rev. William S., Allcourt
Vale Mrs., Allcourt
Archer Samuel, carpenter
Atkin John, tailor
Bennett Thomas, farmer, South End
Calder William, farmer, Old Country Farm
Downing John, farmer, Mathon House
Ecock Joseph, blacksmith
Greaves John, farmer
Holyoake Mrs., farmer, Croft Farm
James Peter, shopkeeper, and Parish Clerk
Jauncey John, farmer, Holling’s Hill
Jauncey Robert, farmer, Church Farm
Johnson Charles, carpenter
Jones Frederick, shoe maker
Pitt Robert, shoe maker
Price George, wheelwright
Price John, wheelwright
Racester Ann, farmer
Racester John, farmer, Mathon Lodge
Rutter Edward, farmer
Saice William, shopkeeper and blacksmith
Shapland John, farmer, Moor End Farm
Smith Robert, farmer, Upper House
South John, farmer, Netherley
Thomas Elisha, shopkeeper
Thomas William, beer retailer, The Case is Altered
Trigg William, victualler, Cliffe’s Arms
Wall William, farmer, Bank Farm
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Mathon, 8 miles from Worcester, containing 89 houses, and 547 inhabitants.
Armishall John, farmer
Bond William, farmer
Bowers Edward, farmer
Bowers Thomas, farmer
Branch John, farmer
Cole John, farmer
Gwillam Thomas, farmer
Hall John, farmer
Harcourt Thomas, farmer
Hatton Thomas, farmer
Hatton Thos. jun. farmer
Heming Richard, farmer
Hill Richard, farmer
Jones Widow, farmer
Jones William, farmer
Jones Wm. jun. farmer
Kings Benjamin, farmer
Layton William, farmer
Layton Thomas, farmer
Lloyd Mark, farmer
Masters William, farmer
Racster Mary, farmer
Ravenhill Thomas, vict.
Reece Rev. George
Smith William, farmer
Symmonds Wm., farmer
Woodyatt William, gent.
Woodyatt Thos., farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.