Mathon St James is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1844 from Mathon Ancient Parish and Leigh Ancient Parish, Cradley Ancient Parish, and Colwall Ancient Parish in Herefordshire.
Alternative names: West Malvern
Malvern (West), a chapelry in Mathon, Colwall, Cradley, and Leigh parishes, Hereford and Worcester; 2 miles W of Great Malvern r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and it has a post office under Malvern. Pop. in 1861,1,417. Houses, 266. Pop. of the Mathon portion, 539; of the Colwall portion, 91; of the Cradley portion, 378. The surface has a western aspect, and commands an extensive view over a hilly country. The water is of similar purity to that of Great Malvern. There are numerous lodging-houses; and visitors and population are rapidly increasing. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £230. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].