Mathon St James is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1844 from Mathon Ancient Parish and Leigh Ancient Parish, Cradley Ancient Parish, and Colwall Ancient Parish in Herefordshire.
Alternative names: West Malvern
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Malvern (West), a chapelry in Mathon, Colwall, Cradley, and Leigh parishes, Hereford and Worcester; 2 miles W of Great Malvern r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and it has a post office under Malvern. Pop. in 1861,1,417. Houses, 266. Pop. of the Mathon portion, 539; of the Colwall portion, 91; of the Cradley portion, 378. The surface has a western aspect, and commands an extensive view over a hilly country. The water is of similar purity to that of Great Malvern. There are numerous lodging-houses; and visitors and population are rapidly increasing. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £230. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records - FamilySearch
Census Records - FamilySearch
Migration Records - FamilySearch
Military Records - FamilySearch
Probate & Court Records - FamilySearch
|England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957|
|Ireland Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920|
West Malvern Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
West Malvern is a very pleasant neighbourhood, situate about one mile and a half from Great Malvern. There is a small Church at West Malvern. No appointed minister. Mr. Charles Johnson, Clerk. Service - 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.
There are National Schools attached to the Church. Jane Sandford, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 45.
Davis William, lodging-house keeper, Raglan House
Haines Richard, lodging-house keeper
Gale Robert, shopkeeper
Haywood Samuel, victualler, Westminster Hotel
Holyoake Mary, farmer, Croft
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
North Malvern Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
North Malvern adjoins Great Malvern, but for more easy reference to this fashionable locality, we have thought it best to keep them separate.
There are water tanks here, generously erected and given for the use of the inhabitants by Charles Morris, jun., Esq., of London. The same benevolent individual also erected two other tanks, one at the Wytche, and the other at West Malvern.
The Church is a small but handsome building, the funds for the erection of which were chiefly given by Mr. and Miss Morris, who also contributed largely to other improvements, making altogether about £1800. Rev. Robert Harkless, Incumbent; Rev. Henry Harkless, Curate. Service 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
There is a small Wesleyan Chapel in the village. Rev. Mr. Turner, Minister. Service 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
The National Schools were erected by Charles Morris, Esq., and are supported by subscriptions and the National Society. Mr. George Mason, Master; Miss Watkins, Mistress; Miss King, Infant Mistress. Average number of scholars - boys, 70; girls, 34; infants, 90.
There is also a small Infant School in connection with the Wesleyan Methodists. Mrs. Udall, Mistress.
Gibbons and Clarke The Misses, Belvoir Terrace
Hooper Rev. Jonathan, Belvoir Terrace
Smart Mrs. Jane, Walmer Villa
Turner Rev. W., Wesleyan Minster
Ashfield Thomas, well sinker and pump maker
Baskerville William, beer retailer, Happy Jack
Bentley Harriet, glass and earthenware dealer
Brickhill William, beer retailer, Albion
Clarke Henry B., chemist and druggist
Davis John, carpenter, The Wytche
Edwards Thos., cabinet maker and lodging-house keeper, Trinity House
Evins The Misses, day school, Bank Cottage
George Henry, farmer, Rugby House
Harper Ann, shopkeeper
Hartland William, butcher
Hathaway William, lodging-house keeper, Lark Cottage
Holmyard Robert, saddler
Jackson J., plasterer and paper hanger, The Wytche
Jebsum James, lodging-house keeper, Prospect Cottage
Jones John, shopkeeper and shoe maker
Kenyon Richard, shopkeeper
Lane William, draper, Scotland House
Lewis Sarah, beer retailer, Retired Soldier
Marantino James, lodging-house keeper, Belvoir Terrace
Mason George, Schoolmaster to the North Malvern School
McCann Daniel, victualler, Belvoir Hotel
Pile George, tailor
Pullen Thomas, grocer
Read John, shoe maker
Sanders, grocer, tea and British wine dealer, Hawkstone House
Simpson Mary, dress maker
Smart Wm., carpenter, Belvoir Terrace
Summers William, baker
Turner Sarah, milliner and straw bonnet maker
Vaughan Ann, stationer, Ivy Cottage
Vaughan James, licensed to let horses
Vaughan William, plumber and glazier, Church Villa
Waldron Mary and Eliza, lodging-house keepers, Belvoir Terrace
Ward Edward, lodging-house keeper, Albion House
Woodward Thomas, paper hanger
Branch Post Office - Thomas Pullen, Sub-Postmaster, Delivery, 8 a.m.; despatch, 4 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Martley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Martley
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury