Martley (with the Hamlet of Hillhampton) Billings Directory 1855

Martley, with the Hamlet of Hillhampton, is pleasantly situated, nearly 8 miles N.W. from Worcester. Martley contained in 1851 a population of 1160, Hillhampton, 149; total, 1309 inhabitants.
Berrow Hill is of an oval form, with two lines of entrenchments round the brow of the hill, which evidently shows that it must have been the site of an ancient camp. The trenches are still perfect in some parts, particularly at the north and south ends of the oval; it is supposed to be as large as anything of the kind in the kingdom, measuring in length about 400 yards, and in width about 190 yards.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, comprising nave, chancel, and western tower, with a peal of six fine bells. The south doorway, and a portion of the walls, are in the Norman style of architecture; and the remaining portions of the building consists of repairs and improvements of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. At the south of the altar is a piscina. The ceiling is semicircular, and the walls are connected by rude tie-beams. In the south side of the chancel is a recumbent alabaster figure, said to be intended for Sir Hugh Mortimer, from whom Martley descended to the Barons de la Ware, the families of Mucklowe, Slaney, Foley, and the present Lord Ward. There are several older memorials, chiefly belonging to the Nash family. The edifice contains free accommodation for 261 persons, having been enlarged in 1829. In the churchyard are traces of an old school, which was recently pulled down, and was supposed to have been founded in the reign of Elizabeth (see notice of School below). The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Rev. H. J. Hastings, M.A., who is also Rector. Rev. Henry James Hastings, M.A., Rector of Arely Kings, Rector; Mr. James Merrick, Clerk. Service – 10 30 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.; winter months, 3 p.m.
The School was originally an Endowed Grammar School, founded in the reign of Elizabeth, fro we find that lands in Martley, Wichenford, &c., of the yearly value of thirty-three shillings, went for the maintenance of a learned schoolmaster; and in the time of Charles I., other property worth sixteen pounds per annum was exemplified out of Chancery for the same purpose; but whether the traces of the old school in the churchyard are the remains or not we have no means of ascertaining. The present building was erected some years ago, through the instrumentality of Lord Ward and others. His Lordship gave the land and £300; Rev. H. J. Hastings, £300; Dr. Nash, £50; and other parties equally liberal contributions. It is under Government and Diocesan inspection. Mr. William Henry Pennington, Master; Miss Sarah Sidley, Mistress. Number of scholars – boys, 36; girls 50.
The Union Workhouse is a commodious brick building, sufficiently large to accommodated 160 persons. The Union is comprised of twenty-eight parishes and townships. Chairman, Rev. John Pearson, Suckley; Vice-Chairman, Daniel Zachary, Esq., Areley Hall; Chaplain, Rev. H. J. Hastings, Martley Rectory; Surgeon, J. N. Greensill, Esq.; Clerk, John Walcott, Esq.; Master, Mr. James John Bigwood; Matron, Jane Eliza Bigwood; Schoolmistress, Sarah H. Hiam; Relieving Officers, Mr. John Wormington and Mr. William Hill. Board day is held once a fortnight, on Friday.
Charities – There are several charities belonging to this parish, viz., The Rev. John Vernon left £15; Mr. James Clark, £100; Mr. John Clark, £20; Alice Nash, £10; besides several other sums, amounting to £40, which are annually distributed on St. Thomas’s day.

DIRECTORY

Clarke Mr. James, Stony Bridge
Hastings Rev. Henry James, M.A., Rectory of Areley Kings, Honorary Canon of Worcester Cathedral, Rural Dean, and Curate of Martley, Rectory.
Hughes William, S. P., Esq., Laughern House
Hurst Mrs. Mary
Husbands Mr. Edmund Thomas, Barfurlong Cottage
Nash James, Esq., M.D., The Noak
Smith Rev. William, B.A., Curate, Rectory Cottage
Smith Mr. Nathaniel, Horseham House
Allport Richard, farmer
Badger John, farmer, Upper Hollen
Ballard John, wheelwright and carpenter
Bigwood James John, Master of the Union
Bishop Thomas, blacksmith
Boughton Joseph Henry, farmer, Brook
Bradley Thomas Waldron, surgeon, Hope House
Clewer Ann, farmer, Hill Top, Horseham
Cooper John, cider retailer
Cowell Daniel, farmer, Martley Court
Davis Michael, farmer, Lingens; also of the Hope House
Davis Daniel, farmer
Davis John, farmer, Old House
Davis William, farmer, Hawksnest
Ennis Diana, farmer, Ham Bridge
Farmer William, shopkeeper
Farmer John, lime burner
Footman Richard, shoe maker
Gardner Elizabeth, farmer, Brook House
Gardner Edward, farmer, Brook House
Gittings John, tailor
Gould Marianne, farmer, Hill Side
Gould George, blacksmith
Gregg Frederick, tailor
Hill Matthew, farmer, Tompkins
Hill Thomas, wheelwright and carpenter
Hill John, victualler and shopkeeper, Crown
Hill Henry, shopkeeper
Holliday Charles, victualler, farmer, and farrier, Admiral Rodney
Holliday Charles, farmer
Lipscombe Edwin, Registrar of Births and Deaths for Martley District
Merrick James, grocer and draper; Collector of Taxes
Matthews Mark, shoe maker
Payne John, farmer, Berrow Green
Perks Henry, butcher
Potter George, farmer, Rodge Hill; also of Lane End, Shelsley Beauchamp
Rimell William, castrator, Berrow Green
Rogers William, farmer, Berrow House; also of Upper and Lower Horseham
Rogers John, tanner, Tan House
Rowley George, cooper
Severn Samuel, farmer
Shepherd Richard, carpenter & builder, Kingswood
Shepherd Richard, carpenter and builder
Sidley Elizabeth Susannah, boarding school
Spilsbury Benjamin, farm bailiff to J. Nash, Esq., The Noak
Taylor Samuel, farmer, Hockhams
Thomas William, blacksmith
Turley Sarah, farmer, Pudford
Turley James, farmer, Prickley Farm
Turley Joseph, farmer, Aldon’s; also of the Park Farm, Great Witley
Turley Joseph, farmer, Lower Hollen; also of Barber’s Farm
Turley Edward, wheelwright and carpenter
Williams Thomas, Police Officer, Station
Young Thomas, farmer, Prickley Green
Young John, blacksmith

Hillhampton

Gibbons Benjamin, Esq., Hillhampton House
Bal Joseph, shopkeeper
Broom Wm., gamekeeper to Lord Ward
Croydon William, farmer, Hillhampton Farm
Dukes John, mason
Pearman Joseph, farmer
Williams Henry, beer retailer and mason, Rock Tavern
Post Office, Martley – Mr. James Merrick, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 4 p.m.
Carriers – Worcester, Lipscombe, Tue., Thur., and Sat., 9 a.m.; and Morris, Sat., 9 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855