Mamble Worcestershire Family History Guide

Mamble Church
Photo of Mamble Church by Philip Halling, some rights reserved.
 


Ecclesiastical Parish: Mamble with Bayton, created in 1669 from Mamble Ancient Parish and Bayton Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Bayton.

The church is dedicated to St. John

Parish registers begin: 1737

Nonconformists in Mamble with Bayton Ecclesiastical Parish: Roman Catholic

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Mamble with Bayton

Historical Descriptions

Mamble

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MAMBLE, a parish, with a village, in the district of Cleobury-Mortimer, and county of Worcester; adjacent to the Tenbury and Bewdley railway, and to the boundary with Salop, 4 miles SE of Cleobury-Mortimer. Post-town, Cleobury-Mortimer, under Bewdley. Acres, 2,658. Real property, £3,097; of which £350 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 381; in 1861, 307. Houses, 61. The property is divided between two. Sodington, the ancient seat of the Blounts, was burnt in the civil wars of Charles I.; was taken down in 1807; and was then found to stand over several curious Roman relics. There had previously been discovered, in the neighbourhood, an entire Roman brick kiln, and parts of a considerable aqueduct, and a pavement. Coals are found; and the Tenbury canal comes near. The living is a vicarage,united with the p. curacy of Bayton, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £328. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good; has a wooden spire: and contains monuments of the Blounts.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Mamble, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Doddingtree, county of Worcester, 6 miles (W.S.W.) from Bewdley, containing 386 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Bayton united, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £9. 4. 7., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. John. There are extensive coal- works within the parish. Sodington, the ancient seat of the Blounts, was destroyed by fire in the great civil war, by some troops of the parliament. What remained of it was taken down in 1807, when several curious Roman relics were discovered beneath the foundations, whence it seems probable that it was anciently the site of a Roman fort.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Mamble – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, lower division, 7 miles W.S.W. from Bewdley, and 135 from London; containing 65 inhabited houses. The living is a vicarage, united with Bayton, in the diocese of Hereford, and archdeaconry of Salop; the Rev. Thomas Davis, incumbent; instituted 1816; patron, the King. Population, 1801, 338 – 1811, 345 – 1821, 386.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Soddington

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Soddington, a hamlet in Mamble parish, Worcester; 6½ miles WSW of Bewdley. A moated mansion of the Blounts stood here, and was burnt by the parliamentarians. Roman remains, including pavement, aqueduct, and brick kilns, were discovered in 1807.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Soddington, in the parish of Mamble, 9 miles from Kidderminster, on the road to Tenbury, the residence of Lady Blount.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Parish Records

FamilySearch

Birth, Marriage, & Death

Census

England and Wales Census 1841 to 1911

Military

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920

Directories

Mamble Billings Directory 1855

Mamble is a small village situate about 4 miles N.E. from Tenbury, on the road from the latter town to Bewdley and Kidderminster, and contained in 1851 a population of 381 inhabitants.

The Church, a very ancient pile, consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with western square tower, and wooden spire. The general appearance indicates that it one belonged to the Roman Catholics. In the north wall of the chancel is a monument in stone, on a plain slab, of some ancient warrior in armour, supposed to have been a resident of the parish. There are also brasses in the chancel, in good preservation, of a man in complete armour, and a lady in a shroud. The eastern chancel window contains some fragments of stained glass, the only emblem among which is the crucifixion. The north aisle, which belongs to the family of the Blounts of Mawley Hall, is entered by a low arch, under which is an ancient tomb, and on a decorated tomb in the north wall are the remains of a skeleton in alabaster, much mutilated, to the very ancient family of the Blounts of Sodington, in this parish, the different inscriptions bearing date from 1610 to 1654. the spire and bells are supported by massive timber frame-work, somewhat peculiar to the churches in this neighbourhood. The south aisle contains several marble monuments to the Wigley family. The living is a Vicarage. Rev. David Davies, M.A., Vicar; Mr. James Preece, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. alternately.
The Parochial School, for the education of the children of Mamble and Bayton, is supported by the lady of C. Wicksted, Esq., and the Rev. David Davies, the master having the privilege of receiving the sons of the neighbouring farmers. Mr. James Simmonds, Master. Average number of scholars, 40.

DIRECTORY

Hall Mr. Thomas Lambert, Sodington Tower
Anderson Robert, blacksmith, nail manufacturer, and shopkeeper
Birch Thomas, farmer, Upper Moor End
Halfpenny Benjamin, farmer, Hunt House
Holder Richard, farmer, Windhill
Johnson Samuel, M.D., and farmer, Foxley
Jones James, farmer, Wathill
Mapp William, shoe maker and Constable, Clowstop
Mills Joseph, farmer, Sousnett
Milner Mary, farmer, Lower Moor End
Milner John, farmer, Lower Moor End
Owen Mary, farmer, The Hall
Owen Thomas, farmer, Westwood
Preece James, butcher and shopkeeper, Cross House
Price George, tailor
Richardson George, farmer, Collier’s Hill; also of Cleobury Mortimer
Rowlands David, shopkeeper
Rushton Richard, mining agent and manager to the Mamble Colliery
Shepherd Thomas, farmer, Carton
Thomas William, farmer
Tomkins John, blacksmith
Tunks Thomas, blacksmith
Williams Edmund Henry, victualler, butcher, and farmer, Sun
Winwood George, farmer, Pucknells

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Mamble Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Mamble, 7 miles from Bewdley, containing 56 houses, and 338 inhabitants.

Benbow Edw., carpenter
Blount Lady
Burraston John, farmer
Hadley George, farmer
Hailes Ann, farmer
Hailes Edward, farmer
Hailes James, farmer
Hanley Edward, farmer
Holder Thomas, farmer
Holt Thomas, farmer
Mapp Geo., shopkeeper
Mills William, farmer
Owens John, farmer
Owens Thomas, farmer
Payne George, farmer
Reynolds John, carpenter
Simmonds Wm., farmer
Turner Thomas, carrier
Walker James, farmer
Wheeler Edward, vict.
Williams C., butcher

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer
  • Hundred: Doddingtree
  • Province: Canterbury