Malvern Wells is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1836 from Hanley Castle Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St. Peter built 1836
Parish registers begin: 1836
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Malvern Wells
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MALVERN WELLS, a chapelry in Hanley-Castle parish, Worcester; on the Worcester and Hereford railway, under the Malvern hills, 2 miles S of Great Malvern. It was constituted in 1836; it shares with Great Malvern the character of a watering-place; and it has a post office, designated Malvern Wells, Worcestershire, and a railway station. Pop. in 1861, 558. Houses, 104. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev. F. Hopkinson. The church is a modern stone edifice, with a tower; and was repaired in 1862. There are a parochial library and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Malvern Wells, about two miles from the village of Great Malvern. Here are two medicinal springs; that called Holy Well is the most frequented. There are also several hotels and boarding houses, where the company may either reside in private apartments, of partake of the social meals provided after the manner of Buxton, Harrowgate [sic], &c.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Malvern directories, 1820-1862 – FamilySearch
Malvern Wells Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Malvern Wells is a village in the parish of Hanley Castle. There is a well here, called Holy Well, which is similar in its medicinal virtues to St. Ann’s Well. Baths have been lately erected, and are now under the management of Messrs. Lea, Perrins, and Burrows.
The Church was erected at the sole expense of the Rev. P E. Boissier. It is a plain stone building, dedicated to St. Peter. Rev. P. E. Boissier, Incumbent. Service – 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Boissier Rev. Peter E., Incumbent of Malvern Wells Church
Bright Henry, Esq., Knowle Lodge
Essington Mrs. H., Highland Cottage
Gilding Mr. Richard, Brick Barns
Pitt Miss, Terrace Cottage
Sandford Lady, Woodlands
Stewart Captain, Woodlands
Tierney Mrs., May Place
Turnor Mr. C., Villa Nuova
Vigne Mr. Robert
Wall Miss, Harcourt Villa
Warrington Major John Norris, Belvidere House
Wingfield Mr. George D., Thorn Bank
Baldwin Thomas, victualler, Railway Inn
Baylis Charles, baker and shopkeeper
Barry Miss, lodging-house keeper
Birchley Samuel, livery-stable keeper
Benbow Mrs. R., lodging-house keeper
Bromley Jane, milliner and dress maker, Bedford Terrace
Cale Mrs. Elizabeth, lodging-house keeper, Vaughan Lodge; also Hill Mount Cottage
Chamberlain Mary, Wells family hotel
Crees Samuel B., linen and woollen draper, hosier, and haberdasher, Bedford Terrace
Davis James, builder
Grundy John, butcher and farmer
Hamilton Chas., surgeon, Hamilton Lodge
Hayes Richard, shoe maker
Lea, Perrins, and Burrows, chemists and druggists, Bedford Terrace; also of Great Malvern
Lear William, lodging-house keeper
Merryday Charles, grocer, confectioner, painter, and Sub-Postmaster
Millner John, victualler, The Lord Nelson
Sinnick Jane, victualler, Admiral Benbow
Spilsbury Robert, blacksmith
Taylor Richard, builder
Thompson Joseph, grocer, and tea and British wine dealer, Bedford Terrace
Wadley Elizabeth, Essington Hotel
Post Office, The Wells – Charles Merryday, Sub-Postmaster. Delivery, 9 a.m. and 6 30 p.m.; despatch, 9 a.m. and 5 20 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Malvern Wells Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Benbow J., Ruby Cottage
Davis Thomas, Woodbine Cottage
Essington Samuel, Hotel
Phillips J., Louth Lodge
Steers William, Rock and Well House
Stokes T., Regent Lodge
Vaughan John, Vaughan Cottage
Woodyatt Thos., Levant Cottage
Wigram Sir Robt., Bart.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Worcestershire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury