Madresfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Church: St. Mary The Virgin
The registers commence with the year 1742
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Madresfield, a parish, with a village, in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester; under the Malvern hills, 2 miles NE of Great Malvern r. station, and 6 NW by N of Upton-on-Severn. Post town, Great Malvern. Acres, 1,192. Real property, £2,013. Pop. in 1851,175; in 1861,271. Houses, 52. The property belongs to Earl Beauchamp. Madresfield Court, the Earl's seat, is a moated Tudor mansion, and stands in a well-wooded park. Bricks, tiles, and drain pipes are largely made at Dripsill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester.. Value, £230. Patron, Earl Beauchamp. The church was rebuilt in 1867, and is in the decorated English style, and has a tower and spire. There are an endowed school, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
MADRESFIELD, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, county of Worcester, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Upton upon Severn, containing 202 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £3. 13. 11½., and in the patronage of Earl Beauchamp. The church exhibits some portions of ancient architecture. Ann Bull, in 1705, bequeathed £25, for the produce of which six children are taught to read. Madresfield Court, a fine ancient mansion, is the seat of Earl Beauchamp.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Madresfield – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 5 miles N.N.E. from Upton, 6 from Worcester, and 116 from London; containing 39 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; the Rev. Reginald Pyndar, incumbent; instituted 1793; patron Earl Beauchamp. Population, 1801, 153 – 1811, 151 – 1821, 202.
Madresfield-Court, in the above parish, the seat of the Earl of Beauchamp.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Maddresfield is six miles from Worcester, adjoining Malvern Link. Here is the seat of William Lygon, Esq. member of parliament for the county, situated in a healthy pleasant spot. This place has also a charity-school.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury
- Highway District: Upton upon Severn
- Petty Sessional Division: Great Malvern
- County Court District: Great Malvern
- Polling District: Malvern Link