Lower Sapey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Sapey Pritchard, as it was also known, was formerly, a Chapelry to Clifton-upon-Teme.
Alternative names: Sapey Pritchard
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin: 1674
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Sapey-Pritchard (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Bromyard, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W divisions of the county of Worcester, 5 ¾ miles (NE by N) from Bromyard, containing 252 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the border of Herefordshire, and consists of 1606 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £4. 4. 2., and in the patronage of Francis Rufford, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £228. 10., and there are 67 acres of glebe.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Sapey-Pritchard – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 11 miles W.N.W. from Worcester; containing 43 inhabited houses. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, and archdeaconry of Salwarp [sic] [Salop?]; Rev. Francis Rufford, incumbent; instituted 1785; patron, P. Rufford, Esq. Population, 1801, 236 – 1811, 228 – 1821, 200.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Sapey is situated on the western border of the county, about 8 miles S.E. from Tenbury, and contained a population of 148 inhabitants in the year 1851.
Sapey Pritchard was formerly, as well as Edvin Loach, a Chapelry to Clifton-upon-Teme, and the former parish is not even now privileged with funerals, nor is its churchyard consecrated, although it is contemplated as soon as practicable.
The Church, situated in a picturesque valley, through which runs the celebrated Sapey brook, consists of nave and chancel, with south porch. No bell tower or turret ornaments the little edifice, but a square hole near the top of the gable-end indicates something within, and in the interior of the building, corresponding with this sound-hole, is a wooden cupboard, in which are two bells. The living is a discharged Rectory, in the gift of the executors of the late Rev. W. S. Rufford. Rev. William Rufford, M.A., Rector; Mr. William Baylis, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
Rufford Rev. William, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Barnes Elizabeth, farmer, Thorn
Baylis William, Parish Clerk
Biddle Charles, farmer, beer retailer, and carrier, Black Star
Bint James, farmer, The Green
Bint James, Collector of Taxes, The Green
Davis John farmer, The Hill
Davis Edward, shopkeeper
Downes James, farmer, Sapey Court
Fox Richard, farmer, Hathouse
Hall John, farmer, Burton Court
Hill Thomas, farmer, Culver House
Lewis John, carpenter, Holland’s Mill
Lipscombe Joseph, farmer, Landymore
Moore Benjamin, farmer, shopkeeper, and carrier, Rose Furlong
Price James, shoe maker
Rea Benjamin, farmer, Three Gates
Smith William, farmer, The Farm
Travil Edward, victualler and mason, Gate Hangs Well
Carrier – Worcester, through Martley, Biddle, Wed. and Sat., 5 a.m.; and Moore, Wed. and Sat., 5 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Andrews Richard, farmer
Arden John, farmer
Cheese Phoebe, farmer
Downes William, farmer
Downes Thomas, farmer
Gardner Richard, farmer
Perkins Thomas, farmer
Perkins Thos. jun. farmer
Rabb George, farmer
Rea Benjamin, farmer
Saunders Thos. farmer
Seward James, farmer
Walker William, farmer
Watkins Thomas, farmer
West Joseph, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.