Lower Sapey is a Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Sapey Pritchard, as it was also known, was formerly, a Chapelry to Clifton-upon-Teme.
Status: Ancient Parish succeeded by Lower Sapey Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Sapey Pritchard
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin: 1674
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Lower Sapey
- Wolferlow (Herefordshire)
- Upper Sapey (Herefordshire)
- Tedstone Wafer (Herefordshire)
- Clifton on Teme
- Tedstone Delamere (Herefordshire)
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SAPEY-PRITCHARD, or Lower Sapey, a parish in the district of Bromyard and county of Worcester; on the river Frome, 4½ miles NE by N of Bromyard, and 7½ SE by S of Newnham r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Sapey-Bridge, under Worcester. Acres, 1,697. Real property, £2,033. Pop., 218. Houses, 47. The living is. a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £220. Patron, P. Rufford, Esq.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Sapey-Pritchard (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Bromyard, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W divisions of the county of Worcester, 5 ¾ miles (NE by N) from Bromyard, containing 252 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the border of Herefordshire, and consists of 1606 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £4. 4. 2., and in the patronage of Francis Rufford, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £228. 10., and there are 67 acres of glebe.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Sapey-Pritchard – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 11 miles W.N.W. from Worcester; containing 43 inhabited houses. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, and archdeaconry of Salwarp [sic] [Salop?]; Rev. Francis Rufford, incumbent; instituted 1785; patron, P. Rufford, Esq. Population, 1801, 236 – 1811, 228 – 1821, 200.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Bromyard
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Bromyard
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury