Lower Mitton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1844 from Kidderminster St Mary Parish.
Alternative names: Lower Mitton, Lower Mitton with Stourport, Stourport
Stourport has a separate entry
Parish registers begin: 1693
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Lower Mitton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MITTON (LOWER), a chapelry in Kidderminster parish, Worcester; containing the town, r. station, and post office of Stourport. Acres, 861. Real property, £10,135, of which £313 are in canals. Pop., 2,958. Houses, 630. The manor belongs to J. W. Craven, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Kidderminster. The church is a neat brick structure, has been enlarged, and contains 1,090 sittings. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, two national schools, and a young men’s reading institution, with a good library. See STOURPORT.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Mitton, Lower, co. Worcester.
P. T. Kidderminster (126) 4 m. SSW. Pop. 2S44.
A hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Kidderminster and lower division of the hundred of Halfshire; living, a curacy subordinate to the vicarage of Kidderminster, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, not in charge; chapel ded. to St. Michael; patronage with Kidderminster vicarage. Here is a manufactory of worsted yarn, an iron foundery, a tannery, and a vinegar yard.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Kidderminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
- Poor Law Union: Kidderminster
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury