Longdon, Worcestershire Family History Guide

Longdon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Castlemorton is a chapelry of Longdon.

Other places in the parish include: Eastington, Ham Common, Long Green, Hillworth, and Hill-end.

Parish church: St Mary

Parish registers begin: 1538

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Longdon

Historical Descriptions of Longdon

Longdon

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LONGDON, a village and a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester. The village stands 2 miles W of the Severn, 2½ SSW of Upton r. station, and 4 NW of Tewkesbury; and has a post office under Tewkesbury. The parish contains also the hamlets of Hillworth, Hillend, Eastington, Long Green, and Ham Common. Acres, 3,903. Real property, £6,418. Pop., 626. Houses, 131. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Chamber's Court is the seat of E. G. Stone, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Castle-Morton, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £550. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is a brick structure, in mixed style, and in good condition; and has a stone tower and spire. There are a national school with £30 from endowment, and other charities £50.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Longdon – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 3 miles S.S.W. from Upton-on-Severn, and 107 from London; containing 117 inhabited houses. The church is a neat building, and has lately been repaired at a considerable expense; adjoining the church-yard is a free school for all the children in the parish; likewise a new school-house, on Dr Bell’s plan, has lately been built at the expense of the vicar, who also provides a teacher. The living is a vicarage, with the chapels of Castle-Morton and Chasely annexed; the Rev. Charles Crew, incumbent; instituted 1815; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 533 – 1811, 550 – 1821, 788.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Eastington

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Eastington, a hamlet in Longdon parish, Worcester; 3¼ miles SSW of Upton-on-Severn.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Ham Common

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Ham Common, a hamlet in Longdon parish, Worcester; 3 miles SW of Upton-on-Severn.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley's Directory of Longdon 1840 - Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Longdon Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Longdon is a very extensive parish, situate about 3½ miles from Upton-upon-Severn, and containing, according to the census of 1851, 577 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small, ancient edifice, having a massive square tower, with pinnacles at the corners, and high spire. It is in the mixed style of architecture, but without anything worthy of note. The living is a Vicarage, with Castle Morton and Chaseley, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Rev. Charles Crewe, Vicar; Rev. Thomas A. Pope, Curate; Mr. Joseph Smith, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., summer; 2 20 p.m., winter.
The School was founded and endowed with land by Giles Godwin, Esq., about the year 1660, for the instruction of poor children of the parish. The school-house, as well as the residence for the master, has been recently rebuilt. Mr. Owen Ockenden, Master; Elizabeth Ockenden, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 64.
The Charities of the parish are few in number, and do not require particularising.

DIRECTORY

Crewe Rev. Charles, Vicar, Vicarage
Pope Rev. Thomas A., Curate
Rayers Mrs.
Stone E. G., Esq., Magistrate, Chamber Court
White Mr. William, Weypools
Beale William, butcher
Bellamy John, farmer
Best Charles, farmer, White House
Bomford James, farmer, Piper’s End
Brewer James, farmer, Long Green
Brewer William, farmer, Hill House
Ellis John, farmer
Flowers William, victualler, Plough
Green Henry, beer retailer and shopkeeper, Swan, Long Green
Higgins Robert, farmer
Hodges Charles, farmer, New House
Jenkins William, shopkeeper
Kent Chesseldine, liquormerchant; house, Longdon Lodge
Lord Richard, farmer, Hill End Bank
Morris John, farmer, Witchfield
Need Thomas, farmer
Newman Joseph, Long Green
Peart John, farmer, Robert’s End
Phillips Thomas, victualler, New Inn, Long Green
Pinson Charles, farmer, Red House
Powell John, carpenter
Rayer John, farmer, Hillworth
Rayer Thomas, farmer, Hill Court
Ryland William, shopkeeper, and Sub-Postmaster
Smith Joseph, tailor, and Parish Clerk
Summerfield William, blacksmith
Post Office – William Ryland, Sub-Postmaster. Delivery, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 4 40 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Longdon Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Longdon, 2½ miles from Upton-upon-Severn, containing 106 houses, and 535 inhabitants. The chapelry of Chasley is annexed.
Beale J., schoolmaster
Boulter Mrs.
Brewer William, farmer
Brookes Wm., shoemaker
Crewe Rev. Charles
Hatch William, farmer
Higgens John, farmer
Jennings Henry, farmer
Jones Edmund, farmer
Lord Joseph, farmer
Mills Thomas, butcher
Newman Sarah, farmer
Pitt John, farmer
Royer William, farmer
Smith Henry, farmer
Stone Edward G. esq.
Symmonds Wm., farmer
Thorley Charity, gent.
Weeks William, farmer
Wheeler William, farmer
White William, farmer
White Elizabeth, farmer
Wodley Mary, farmer
Wood Joseph, shopkeeper

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Holdfast and Eastington Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Barnes Thomas, gent.
Barnes J. K. gent.
Berkeley John, esq.
Berkeley John, jun. gent.
Clarke William, farmer
Martin Rev. Joseph
Potter Henry, farmer
Rayer William, esq.
White Joseph, farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Powyke
  • Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
  • Hundred: Pershore
  • Province: Canterbury