Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Giles
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1691
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1615
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Little Malvern
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MALVERN (LITTLE), a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester; under the Malvern hills, 1 mile S of Malvern Wells r. station, and 4½ ENE of Ledbury. Post town, Malvern Wells, Worcestershire. Acres, 943. Real property, £927. Pop., 104. Houses, 20. The manor, with Little Malvern Court, belongs to M. Berington, Esq. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Worcester abbey, was founded here in 1171, by two brothers, Joceline and Edred, who were the first and the second priors; and, at the dissolution, it had a prior and seven monks. An ancient camp is in the S. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £44. Patron, Earl Somers. The church consists of the chancel and tower of the ancient priory church; is in good condition; and recently underwent interior repair. The other parts of the old priory buildings are in ruin. A Roman Catholic chapel, in lieu of a previous one, was built in 1862; is a handsome stone edifice, in the pointed style; wants a nave, intended to be hereafter added; and has schools attached to it.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Malvern (Little) – a parish, 3 miles distant from Great Malvern, in the lower division of Oswaldslow; containing only 12 inhabited houses. It was formerly a considerable village. The church is in a very dilapidated state: it is a perpetual curacy; the Rev. Rice Jefferys, incumbent; patroness, Mrs. Wakeman. Population, 1801, 34 – 1811, 34 – 1821, 67.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Little Malvern is a retired romantic spot, lying on the east side of the hill, and running up to its summit, where is a supposed Roman camp, with a treble ditch. Within a musket-shot of the trenches of the camp, in the parish of Colwal, in Herefordshire, was found, in 1650, a coronet or bracelet of gold, set with precious stones, by one Taylor, as he was digging, who sold it to a goldsmith at Gloucester for 37l the goldsmith sold it to a jeweller in London for 250l and afterwards the jeweller sold the stones for 1500l. Among some paintings in the church is that of Edward IV.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Little Malvern Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Little Malvern is a small parish, about 4 miles from Great Malvern, with a population at the last census of 88 inhabitants.
The Church is a small edifice, dedicated to St. Giles, and has a small bell-cot, with one bell. Rev. Edward Culsha, Incumbent. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. There is a small Roman Catholic Chapel. Rev. W. Scott, Priest.
Berrington Charles M., Esq., The Court
Scott Rev. Wm., Roman Catholic Priest, The Priory
Foreman John, farmer
Hill William, carpenter
Higgins George, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Little Malvern Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Clark Jeremiah, warrener
Hatch John, farmer
Price James, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Powyke
Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn