Little Comberton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Alternative Names: Comberton Parva
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1540
Parishes adjacent to Little Comberton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COMBERTON (Little), a parish in Pershore district, Worcester; adjacent to the river Avon, 3 miles ENE of Eckington r. station, and 2½ SE of Pershore. Post town, Pershore. Acres, 770. Real property, £1,960. Pop., 257. Houses, 59. The property is divided among four. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £258. Patron, the Rev. W. Parker. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Comberton-Parva – a parish adjoining Comberton-Magna, containing 40 inhabited houses. The living is a rectory; Rev. L. Middleton, incumbent; instituted 1816; patron, Sturges Bourne, Esq. Population, 1801, 168 – 1811, 158 – 1821, 172.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Little Comberton Marriages
Marriages at Little Comberton 1540 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed
Little Comberton Billings Worcestershire Directory 1855
Little Comberton is a small parish, situate about 2 miles S.E. from Pershore, containing in 1851 a population of 216 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with massive square turreted tower, having pinnacles at each corner. The living is a Vicarage. Rev. William Parker, M.A., Incumbent; Mr. Edmund Salsbury, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small Parochial School in the churchyard. Susannah Phillips, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 24.
Parker Rev. William, Incumbent
Shekell Me. Thomas
Woodward Francis, Esq., Magistrate; and at Bricklehampton
Abell Charles, farmer
Aldington Benjamin, blacksmith
Clements Frederick, tailor
Heeks Edith, shopkeeper
Kettle Ann, shopkeeper
Phillips Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Summers Charles, beer retailer and hurdle maker
Yeend George, bone setter
Yeend William G., farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Little Comberton Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879
Little Comberton, a parish 2 miles S. E. of Pershore and 6 W. of Evesham, adjoins on the S.W. side to Great Comberton, and is in the same districts and divisions for all purposes; annual rateable value, £1,700; area, 770 acres; population in 1861, 257; in 1871, 278, with 64 inhabited houses, and 69 families or separate occupiers. Mrs. Bagnall, of Bafford house, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, is lady of the manor and principal landowner. Thomas Stevens Shekell, Esq., J.P., of Pebworth, Stratford-on-Avon, William Godwin Yeend Pitcher, Esq., and the Rev. William Parker, M.A., are also landowners here. On the south of this parish is the beautiful Bredon hill. The soil is very productive, and the gravel beds are of the pebbly gravel. The living is a rectory, value £310; patron and rector, Rev. William Parker, M.A., Trinity College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1826. The Rev. Edward Spencer Lowndes, M.A., Christ’s College, Cambridge, is the curate. The church (St. Peter’s) is small, without aisles or transepts, but has a handsome and lofty Perpendicular tower and a late Norman doorway, on the tympanum of which is sculptured a cross, surrounded by eight curious objects, probably intended to represent clouds. The register begins with the year 1540. There is a parochial school for boys and girls; average attendance about 50. There are some curious old timber-framed houses and a stone dove-cot in this parish.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Pershore. The wall letter-box is cleared at 5.45 p.m. on week-days only. Pershore is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Peter’s). – Rev. William Parker, M.A., Patron and Rector; Rev. Edward Spencer Lowndes, M.A., Curate; Mr. W. G. Y. Pitcher, Churchwarden; Edmund Salsbury, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys, girls, and infants). – Miss Sarah A. Gibbons, Mistress.
Carrier to Worcester and Evesham. – John Fletcher, to Worcester on Saturdays, returning from the Old Greyhound Inn, New Street, at 4 p.m.; to Evesham on Mondays, returning from the Rose and Crown Inn, High street, about 3 p.m.
Bagnall Richard Samuel, Esq., The Grange
Dayrell Miss, Nash’s farm
Lowndes Rev. Edward Spencer, M.A. (curate), The Cottage
Parker Rev. William, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Earl Isaiah, cheese and dairy farmer
Faukner George, fruiterer & freeholder
Fletcher John, carrier, &c.
Gibbons Miss Sarah Ann, schoolmistress
Jeakes Samuel, blacksmith
Phillips Benjamin, boot and shoe maker
Pitcher William G. Y., farmer & Landowner
Salsbury Edmund, parish clerk
Salsbury Mrs. Harriet, laundress
Salsbury Wm., carpenter & wheelwright
Summers Thomas, shopkeeper
Taylor William A., grocer, &c.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury