Kyre Wyard is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Alternative Names: Kyre Magna, or Great Kyre
The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
Parish registers begin: 1694
Kyre (Great), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, county of Worcester, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Tenbury, containing 162 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king’s books at £6. 17. 8½., and in the patronage of Mrs. Pitts. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. An almshouse for eight poor widows, who are partly clothed and receive 2s. 6d. per week, was founded by Mr. Fettiplace.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831.
Kyre (Great), or Kyre Wyard, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Tenbury, county of Worcester; 16 miles west by north of Worcester. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £6 17s. 8½d., returned at £150; gross in come £130. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £157. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs. Pytts. In 1715, Mrs. Ann Pytts founded and endowed alms houses here for 8 poor widows; one to be selected from each of the following parishes: — Great Kyre, Little Kyre, Hanley Child, Stoke-Bliss, Collington, Butterly, Thornbury, and Edwin Ralph; each widow receives 2s. 6d. weekly. This sum was augmented in 1743 by Sir George Fettiplace, who gave, by will, a rent-charge of £8 per annum, to be paid in halt-yearly pavments of 10s. to each alms woman: income, in 1837, £102 10s.; expenditure £91 12s. 6d. Other charities, in 1830, £8 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £59 11s. In 1835, hops were cultivated in Great and Little Kyre to the extent of 78 acres. Acres 1,580. Houses 38. A. P. £1,252. Pop., in 1801, 165; in 1831, 159.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848