Knightwick with Doddenham Worcestershire Family History Guide

Knightwick with Doddenham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created about 1655 from Knightwick Ancient Parish and Doddenham Ancient Parish.

Knightwick and Doddenham are separated by the River Teme. Doddenham old church was dedicated to St Andrew. Both Doddenham and Knightwick parish churches were pulled down in the 19th century. A modern bridge now joins the villages and the current church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built in 1856 on the N side to serve both. To the S of the river the old church site was used to build a mortuary chapel, also dedicated to St. Mary, in 1879.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church: St Mary

Knightwick with Doddenham parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1539
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612

Separate registers exist for Doddenham:

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Knightwick with Doddenham

Historical Descriptions

Doddenham

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DODDENHAM, a parish in Martley district, Worcestershire; on the river Teme, adjacent to Herefordshire, 5¾ miles W of Henwick r. station, and 7 W of Worcester. Post town, Broadwas, under Worcester. Acres, 916. Real property, £1, 552. Pop., 278. Houses, 61. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Knightwick, in the diocese of Worcester. The church was built about the middle of last century.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Doddenham, a parish in the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Martley, county of Worcester; 7 miles west by north of Worcester, on the northern bank of the Teme. Living, a curacy annexed to the rectory of Knightwich. Upwards of 50 acres of hops are annually grown here. Acres 830. Houses 55. A. P. £1,128. Pop., in 1801, 210; in 1831. 283. Poor rates, in 1837, £66.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Doddenham (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Martley, Lower division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 7¼ miles (W. by N.) from Worcester; containing 260 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Teme, and on the road from Bromyard to Worcester, and comprises by measurement 1520 acres: there is a quarry of stone for mending roads. The living is consolidated with that of Knightwick.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Doddenham – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Knightwick, Doddingtree hundred, lower division, 6 ½ miles W.N.W. from Worcester, and 118 from London; containing 55 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 210 – 1811, 231 – 1821, 252.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Knightwick

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

KNIGHTWICK, a parish in Martley district, Worcester; on the river Teme, at the boundary with Hereford, 4 miles SW by W of Martley, and 4½ WNW of Bransford Road r. station. It contains Knightsford Bridge, which has a post office under Worcester. Acres, 858. Real property, £1, 635. Pop., 166. Houses, 32. The manor belongs to John Williams, Esq. The scenery is beautiful. There are brick and tile works. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Doddenham, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The old church is now used only for burial services; and the new one stands at Knightsford Bridge, was built in 1856, and is in the decorated English style. Charities, £6.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Knightwick – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 8 miles N.W. from Worcester, and 120 from London; containing 24 inhabited houses. It is situated near the river Teme, on the borders of Herefordshire. The living is a rectory, with Doddenham chapel, annexed; the Rev. John Bell, incumbent; instituted 1817; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 158 – 1811, 161 – 1821, 155.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Universal British Directory 1791

Knightwick, about eight miles from Worcester, on the borders of Herefordshire, anciently belonged to the priory of Great Malvern. The views on the hills in this parish are extensive; on Ankerdine-hill and Tinkers’ Coppice the prospects are rural, amidst hills and dales. Worcester, Pershore, Cheltenham, Broadway and Bredon hills, and several eminences in Leicestershire, beautify the whole.

Source: Universal British Directory 1791

Directories

Doddenham Littleburys Directory 1905

Distances – 8 miles E. of Worcester, 6 E. of Bromyard, and 1 mile N.E. of Knightwick station.
Population – In 1901, 223.
Postal Information – James Riddell, Sub-Postmaster. Letters are received through Worcester. Knightwick and Broadwas are the nearest post and telegraph offices. The Wall Letter-box at Banner’s Brook is cleared at 6.50 p.m. on week-days only.
St. Mary’s Parish Church (For Knightwick and Doddenham) – Rev. Joseph Bowstead Wilson, M.A., Rector; T. L. Walker, Churchwarden for Doddenham; Philip Grubham, Parish Clerk.
Assistant Overseer – Charles Andrews.

Residents

Ashcroft J., Ankerdine villa, Ankerdine hill
Bishop William, farmer, Bannerbrook
Brewer Thos., Ankerdine cottage
Caswell John, grocer and provision dealer
Consumption Sanatorium, Ankerdine hill: J. H. Greensill, M.R.C.S., resident medical officer.
Gilbey Jno., Talbot Hotel, Knightwick
Grubham James, jun., bootmaker
Herbert Miss, district nurse, Ankerdine hill
Lane William, farmer
Lewis Isaac, famr. & hop grwr., Low. Gurnox
Morris Jno., Chatham, Ankerdine
Mumford Henry, Vineyards, Doddenham
Parker J. H., estate agent for F.W. Greswolde-Williams, Thorney cottage
Perkins Thos., farmer, Doddenham hall
Price Miss Selina, schoolmistress
Smith Frank, farmer, Haynes green
Spalls T., Ankerdine farm, Knightwick
Walker T. L., Ankerdine farm; res., Knightwick manor
Williams Albert T., farmer, Darby green’s
Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.

Doddenham Littleburys Directory 1879

Doddenham is a small parish, chapelry, and village, pleasantly situated on the Worcester and Bromyard road, and on the N. side of the river Teme, 8 miles W. of Worcester, 6 E. of Bromyard, and 1 mile N.E. of Knightwick station on the Great Western railway; is in the Western division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; union, highway, and polling district of Martley, petty sessional division and county court district of Worcester; population in 1861, 278; in 1871, 279, with 68 inhabited houses and 74 families or separate occupiers. The area of the parish is 916 acres; annual rateable value, £1,414; the soil is stiff loam, marl, and clay; subsoil, marl, clay, and gravel; chief crops, the usual cereals, fruit, and hops. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and Francis Edward Williams, Esq., is the principal landowner. The parish registers begin with the year 1538. The living is annexed to the rectory of Knightwick; the chapel has been destroyed, and the place is now so identified with Knightwick for ecclesiastical purposes that we refer the reader to the description of that place. Knightsford bridge crosses the Teme and connects this parish with Knightwick. The Talbot Inn, close to Knightsford bridge, affords every accommodation to fishing and picnic parties. Thorney Cottage, the property of F. E. Williams, Esq., is at present occupied by Captain Henry Battiscombe. Easinghope is three-quarters of a mile N.W.; Haynes Green half-a-mile N.E.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Post office, Knightsford bridge; T. Powell, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Worcester by mail-cart (en-route to Bromyard) at 6 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.50 p.m. Clifton-upon-Teme is the nearest money-order office. Worcester is the telegraph office and post town.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Battiscombe Captain Henry, Thorney cot.
Oatridge Mr. Edward, Knightsford bridge

AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.

Benbow George, farmer, Easinghope fm.
Birch John, painter, &c.
Bradburne Thos., farmer, Haynes green
Browning Henry Joseph, Talbot Inn, and farmer, Knightsford bridge
Bullock William, farmer, Ankerdine fm.
Finch John, farmer, Doddenham hall
Huggins Henry, shopkeeper
Powell Thomas, boot and shoe maker, parish clerk, and sub-postmaster, Post office, Knightsford bridge
Smith Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer, Darby gn.
Vernals James, farmer, Agberrow farm, Ankerdine hill
Vernon John, farmer, Lower Gurnox
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.

Doddenham Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Adcock Edward, farmer
Lloyd John, farmer
Rowley J., shoemaker
Southall Wm., farmer
Walker John, vict.
Watkins John, cooper
Winwood Cath., farmer
Wood Richard, farmer
Vernon John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Knightwick Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

 Knightwick, 8 miles from Worcester, containing 25 houses, and 158 inhabitants. Doddenham and Alton are hamlets to this parish.
Bell Rev. John
Bishop Mary, farmer
Butt John, farmer
Burraston J., farmer
Caswell Joseph, farmer
Done Joseph, farmer
Freeman Edward, esq.
Holmes John, blacksmith
Hyde Thomas, gent.
Hyde John, farmer
Starling Charles, miller
Starling Eliz., gent.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Online Directories

Bentley's Directory of Knightwick 1840 - Archive.org 

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Worcestershire
Civil Registration District: Martley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Worcester
Rural Deanery: Worcester
Poor Law Union: Martley
Hundred: Doddingtree; Oswaldslow
Province: Canterbury