Kington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish Church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1587
Nonconformists in Kington include: Society of Friends/Quaker.
Parishes adjacent to Kington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KINGTON, a parish in Pershore district, Worcester; near the intersection of the Worcester and Fenny-Compton railway with the Evesham and Birmingham railway, 7 miles NE by N of Pershore. Post town, Worcester. Acres, 1,000. Real property, £1,191. Pop., 172. Houses, 36. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £99. Patron, W. Laslett, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Kingston, or Tokynton, co. Worcester.
P. T. Worcester (111) 8 m. E. Pop. 148.
A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Halfshire; living, a dis. rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 8l; ann. val. P. R. 137l. 5s.; church ded. to St. James; patrons (1829) Mr. and Mrs. Phillips.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Kington – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 9 miles E. from Worcester, and 121 from London; containing 26 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; the Rev. Henry Southall, incumbent; instituted 1804; patron, T. S. Vernon, Esq. Population, 1801, 110 – 1811, 134 – 1821, 148.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822
Marriages at Kington 1588 to 1836
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.
Note. – The oldest Registers of this parish consist of two volumes of parchment.
Volume I. Leaves 55. Size, 8 by 5 ½ inches. Contents: pp. 3-26, Baptisms 1587 – 1646; pp. 27-32, Marriages 1588 to 1638; pp. 33-110, Bap., Bur., and Mar. 1633-1735. Binding: Parchment. Condition: fairly good.
Vol. II. Leaves 19. Size: 10 ½ by 6 ½ inches. Contents: Mar. 1735-1753. Bap. 1735-1812. Binding: Rough calf. Condition: good.
Vol. III. Is the ordinary paper volume adopted on the passing of Lord Hardwicke’s Marriage Act.
There was no churchyard at Kington, so that, with the exception of a few buried in the Church, burials were mostly at Inkberrow.
The following extracts have been made by the Rev. W. J. Holden, rector of Kington, and are now printed under his supervision.
Kington Littleburys Worcester Directory 1905
Distances – 8 miles N.E. of Pershore, 9½ E. of Worcester.
Population – In 1901, 95. Acreage, 1071.
Wall Letter-box at the Rectory cleared at 6.40 p.m. Letters arrive from Worcester about 6.30 a.m. week-days only.
Parish Church (St. James) – Rev. Wm. Pearce, B.A., Rector; Thomas Sherwood and Robert Bolton, Churchwardens; William Jones, Parish Clerk. The children attend Flyford School.
Assistant Overseer – Alfred Lewis, Union Inn, Flyford Flavell.
Ardin Thos., farmer, The Court farm
Bolton Jesse, farmer
Bolton William, farmer
Burford Elizabeth, Red Hart Inn
Cresswell Francis, hay & straw dlr., Portway
Halford Jesse, miller, Kington mill
Holden Harrington, farmer, Cockshott farm, Kington, Inkberrow
Laight George B., carrier
Loxley John C., farmer, Yellow house, Kington, Inkberrow
Pearce Rev. Wm., B.A., The Rectory
Sherwood Thomas, farmer, The Village
Taylor Benj., dealer, Kington, Inkberrow
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Kington Billings Worcestershire Directory 1855
Kington is a small parish, distant about 10 miles E. from Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 153 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a small, ancient structure, consisting of nave, chancel, and small western tower, the base of which, similar to several other churches in this neighbourhood, is of stone, the upper portion being of wood, with a tiled roof. From the appearance of the oldest portions of the building, it seems to be of about the beginning of the thirteenth century: some portions of the rood-screen are still to be seen at the back of the pulpit. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of T. B. Vernon, Esq. Rev. Edwin Crane, B.A., Rector; Isaac Harris, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Ballinger Thomas, farmer
Burford John, victualler and shopkeeper, White Hart
Cooper Thomas, farmer
Cowley Henry, farmer, Portway
Harris Isaac, Parish Clerk
Hewitt Francis Henry, farmer, Bourne’s Farm
Laight George, farmer, Laight Green
Nash John, farmer and miller, Church Farm; also of the Upper Farm, Church House
Phillips Edmund, farmer, Cockshut
Ryland Samuel, farmer, blacksmith, and shopkeeper
Sherwood William, farmer
Stanley George, shoe maker
Carrier – Worcester, Ryland, from house, Sat., 7 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Kington Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Kington, 3 miles from Droitwich. Containing 25 houses, and 110 inhabitants.
Baker John, farmer
Burford Elizabeth, vict.
Curnack William, farmer
Dyke Anne, farmer
Haynes John, farmer
Hemas John, farmer
Laight Thomas, farmer
Southall Rev. H.
Southall John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury