Kings Norton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1846 from a chapelry in Bromsgrove Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Balsall Heath, Headley, Kings Heath, Tanners Green, Longbridge, Moundsley, Rednal, and Lickey.
Nonconformists in Kings Norton include: Baptist, Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
KING’S NORTON, a village and parish of England, in Worcestershire, 5 miles S.W. from its post town, Birmingham, in which the Birmingham and Worcestershire Canal passes through a tunnel nearly 2 miles long. The town possesses an old but very handsome parish church, with a ﬁne tower and spire, and a grammar-school founded by Edward VI. It has a money ord. off. Pop. of par. 13,634. It is a station on the Derby, Birmingham, and Bristol line of the Midland Railway. Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
Kings Norton.– town and par. with ry. sta., Worcestershire, in NE. of co., 5½ miles S. of Birmingham, 12,132 ac., pop. 34,071; P.O., T.O.; the Birmingham and Worcester Canal here passes through a tunnel 16 ft. wide, 18 ft. high, and nearly 2 miles long; there are extensive paper mills, rolling mills, a large screw factory, and well-known chocolate works. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
King’s Norton, co. Worcester. P. T. Birmingham (109)) 5 m. SSW. Pop. 3651. Fairs, May 7, and Aug. 16, for all sorts of cattle. A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Halfshire; it formerly had a market, which is now discontinued; living, a curacy subordinate to the vicarage of Bromsgrove, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, not in charge. The church, which is dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a fine building, with a very lofty and elegant spire, and contains many handsome monuments; patronage with Bromsgrove vicarage. Here is a freeschool, founded by Edward VI. The Worcester and Birmingham Canal passes through a hill in this vicinity, with a tunnel sixteen feet wide, and eighteen high, and so perfectly straight as to be seen through for a length of nearly two miles. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
King’s-Norton – a parochial chapelry, formerly in the parish of Bromsgrove, but made parochial by an act of Parliament obtained some time since. It is situated in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 9 miles N.E. from Bromsgrove, 5 miles from Birmingham, and 116 from London; containing 684 inhabited houses. The Worcester and Birmingham canal passes through this parish, which is about 34 miles in circuit. It was formerly a market town, and has now two fairs, 25th April and 5th Sept. A considerable number of tiles are made here, for which the clay is particularly well adapted. Edward the Sixth founded a free grammar school in King’s-Norton, and another at Birmingham, giving each their choice of land or money: King’s-Norton chose the latter, in consequence of which, their funds are now very limited, whilst the trustees of the school at Birmingham, having preferred land, are now in receipt of some thousands per annum. The church is a noble edifice, with a square tower, and an elegant frosted spire, which forms a conspicuous object for many miles round. The Rev. J. Wingfield, D.D. as vicar of Bromsgrove, is likewise vicar of King’s Norton, and appoints curates to the chapels of Moseley and Withal, both of which are perpetual cures. Population, 1801, 2807, 1811, 3068 – 1821, 3651. Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
King’s Norton is a small village and Chapelry in Bromsgrove parish, and has a market on Saturdays, and two fairs for all sorts of cattle, on the 25th of April, and 5th of September. The chapel is not much inferior to the mother church at Bromsgrove, having a very lofty and elegantly ornamented spire, and much painted glass in the windows. There are several monuments; and it affords a most curious vocal pedigree, the late parish clerk’s ancestors having held that office upwards of 200 years. Here is a free-school founded by Edward VI. The Worcester and Birmingham canal passes through a hill in this vicinity, with a tunnel well worth examination. It is sixteen feet wide, and eighteen high, and, though for the sake of expedition, it was begun at both ends, yet its line is so perfectly straight as to be seen through, for a length of nearly two miles. Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Balsall Heath, a chapelry in King’s Norton parish, Worcester; on the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, 2 1⁄2 miles S of Birmingham. It was constituted in 1853; and it has a post office under Birmingham. Pop., 7,651. Houses, 1,616. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300. Patron, the Incumbent of King’s Norton. The church is new. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].