Inkberrow Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Inkberrow is an extensively populated parish, situated about 12 miles E. from Worcester, and 5 W. from Alcester. It contained in 1841 a population of 1809 inhabitants, and in 1851 only 1711.
The manor and advowson of Inkberrow were granted by Philip and Mary to the “Burgavenny” family (as the name was then known and called), conditionally that in default of male issue the same should revert to the crown. Since then, however, male heirs have never been wanting in the family, and the present heir himself has several sons. About the year 789, Eathored, Bishop of Worcester, had a controversy with one Wulfheard, son of Cussan, relative to the inheritance of Hemeless and Duda, at Intanbeorg and Bradenloeg (meaning Inkberrow and Bradley), which after their death was given to the church at Weagorncester, and which Wulfheard endeavoured to defraud them of. The Bishop having proved his right, afterwards, for the sake of peace, agreed that Wulfheard should have them during his life, on condition that at his death they would be restored to the church, where the bodies of Hemeless and Duda were deposited.
The principal places worthy of remark in this parish are Cookhill, Morton Underhill, and Noberry, formerly called Newborough. Cookhill is about 2 ½ miles from the village and church, and is the site of a nunnery, supposed to have been founded by Isabel, Countess of Warwick, in the year 1260, though the charter gave to the nuns their lands in the early part of the twelfth century, or about 1190. The Countess Isabel is supposed to have restored the house, and was buried there. Nash mentions the ruins of a chapel as existing in his time, and a more modern edifice is still in existence on the same site. The chapel adjoins a farm-house, now occupied by Mr. Baylis, wherein, as well as at the Vicarage and the Thorn, King Charles is said to have slept. By a singular circumstance, a portrait of that king was discovered behind the head of a bed, and was supposed to have been concealed there in the time of the Commonwealth. Morton Underhill and Noberry had each formerly a chapel, but no traces of either now remain.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a fine ancient pile of building, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and south chapel, with western embattled tower, and north stone porch. The walls are embattled, and have crocketed pinnacles, rising from buttresses. The north aisle is divided from the nave by five obtuse arches, resting on octagonal pillars, with plain heads. The south wall of the chancel contains a piscina, and sedilia for three orders of clergy. The lower one, or that for the Deacons, has a plain pointed arch; the priest’s has a trefoil-headed arch; and the Bishop’s is surmounted by a cinquefoil head. It is unusual to see the three orders united as in this instance. The south chapel was erected by the family of Savage, of Bag End, in the parish of Dormston. There is a monument in this chapel to John Savage, Knight, of Egioke, being the figure of a man clad in armour, in a recumbent position, over which is a richly decorated marble arched canopy, supported by pillars of black marble, and ornamented by several sculptured figures. In the centre aisle is a brass, dated 1638, to George, son of Sir F. Egioke, of Shurnock Court. The church was repaired in the year 1841, by which 160 additional seats were obtained, and in consequence of a grant being received from the Incorporated Society for promoting the enlargement, building and repairing of churches and chapels, 118 of that number were declared free and unappropriated for ever. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the Lord of Abergavenny. The lay impropriators are the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. Rev. George R. Gray, M.A., Vicar; Mr. Edmund James, Clerk; Mr. G. D. Hiscox, Organist. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. The National Schools, pleasantly situated near the village, and in the central part of the parish, were erected in 1851, by subscriptions and grants from educational societies, the site being given by Lord Abergavenny. They are neat and substantial, and will afford accommodation for 140 children. They are under Government and Diocesan inspection. Mr. G. D. Hiscox, Master; Miss H. Hiscox, Mistress. Number of boys and girls inclusive, 140. There is also a Sunday School attached.
Charities – A gift of £50, by Mr. R. Adcock; the interest to be applied to the use of the children attending the National and Sunday Schools. – Maunsell’s dole of 20s payable out of Cookhill estate; Phillips’s dole of 20s, payable out of Pinhill estate; Hopkins’s charity, an annuity of 20s., payable out of land at Great Alne; and Vaughan’s charity of 20s., annually payable as a rent-charge out of a farm at Morton Underhill – are all for the benefit of the poor. There is also an estate called the Poor’s Land, situate at Knowle Field, containing upward of fifty acres, the rents arising therefrom being for the benefit of the poor; and another called the Church Land, of forty acres, in Knowle Field, for the repairs of the church. A legacy of £100 was left by Daniel George, the interest to be distributed to the poor on St. Thomas’s day.

DIRECTORY

Burton Mr. John, Cladsall
Fawdry Mr. George, Park House
Gray Rev. G. R., M.A., Vicar, Vicarage
Warren Rev. Thomas, Presbyterian Minister, Morton Hall
Webb Mr. George, Egioke Villa
Adcock Richard, farmer, Perry Fields
Adcock Richard, jun., farmer, The Stone House
Anderson Edward, shoe maker
Aubery George, shopkeeper, Ridgeway
Baggott William, shoe maker, Cook Hill
Baylis Henry, farmer, Cook Hill Hall
Bennett Thomas, wheelwright, Oldberrow Green
Bennett John, Wheelwright, Ridgeway
Bloxam George, tailor
Brearly Joseph, farmer, Cook Hill
Broome John, farmer, Egioke
Bubb Samuel, mason
Careless Samuel, farmer, Bouts
Clarke William, farmer, Broad Close
Collins Henry, beer retailer, shopkeeper, and carpenter, Stock Green
Corfield William, beer retailer and blacksmith, Red Lion, Oldberrow Green
Cowley Thomas, farmer, Morton Hall Farm
Cowley Thomas, farmer, Thorn
Cull Joseph E., victualler and veterinary surgeon, The Old Bull
Davies Arthur, miller, brick and tile maker, and quarryman
Davies Henry, wheelwright and carpenter
Davies John, farmer, Priory
Davies John, sen., mason, Egioke
Davies John, jun., mason, Egioke
Deakin Benjamin, blacksmith
Dolphin Thomas, sen., farmer, Bouts
Dolphin Thomas, jun., baker and shopkeeper, Ridgeway
Dyer William, blacksmith, Oldberrow Green
Farr Christopher, farmer
Findon James, tailor, Cook Hill
Ford Charles, wheelwright, Cladsall
Gabb William, farmer, Westal Hall
Ganderton Henry, farmer
Ganderton Thomas, farmer, Little Inkberrow; also of Noberry
Garner Henry, shoe maker, Ridgeway
Gee John, victualler, New Inn, Ridgeway
George Charles Robert, farmer, Noberry House
Gilbert Thomas, farmer, Egioke
Griffin John, tailor and woollen draper
Griffiths William, shoe maker, Stock Wood
Grove Thomas, grocer, draper, and baker
Hall Francis, baker and shopkeeper, Stock Wood
Harvey John, farmer, Knighton Farm
Harvey Thomas, farmer, Knighton
Haynes George, auctioneer, land surveyor, and farmer, Rock Bank
Hill James, sen., rope and twine maker, Ridgeway
Hill James, jun., rope, twine, and cloth maker, Ridgeway
Houghton David, victualler, The George
Houghton Joseph, blacksmith, Cook Hill
Hunt James, farmer, Pinhill
Hunt James, farmer, Morton Underhill
Hunt John, farmer, Cladsall
Hunt Robert, sen., farmer and maltster, Oldberrow Green
Hunt Robert, jun., miller, Oldberrow Green
Hunt Solomon, shoe maker and shopkeeper, Ridgeway
James Edmund, shoe maker and Parish Clerk
Ladbury Richard, farmer, The Hill; also of Tarbidge Farm
Laugher John, farmer, Thorn Farm
Manton Wm., farmer, Oldberrow Green
Merrell Mary, victualler, The Bull commercial inn
Mullis Simon, miller, Cook Hill
Mumford Matilda, victualler, Rose and Crown, Stock Green
Nash Richard, farmer, Rush Farm
Owen Richard, farmer, Bouts
Perks Henry, farmer
Procter Benjamin, farmer, Cook Hill
Procter Thomas, farmer and horse dealer, Linsey; also of Merse and Cladsall Farms, Cladsall
Rand Elizabeth, farmer, Oldberrow Green
Richardson Thomas, farmer, Dogbut
Ross John, shoe maker
Rowney John, farmer, Egioke
Sanders William, farmer, shopkeeper, and baker
Shayler James, farmer, Knighton
Shelton Richard, butcher, Cladsall
Slade Thomas, maltster and corn dealer, Cook Hill
Slade Thomas, shopkeeper, Ridgeway
Smith William, farmer, Cladsall
Summers Thomas, beer retailer, Bird in Hand, Stock Green
Tipping William, farmer, Hookey
Verender James, cooper, Cook Hill
Watts George, farmer, and brick and tile maker, Bouts; also of Egioke
Winnett James, shoe maker, Cladsall
Webster William, shopkeeper and carrier, Oldberrow Green
Post Office – Mr. Thos. Grove, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 9 45 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m. Sunday despatch, 11 30 a.m.

Carriers:

Alcester – Gittus, from own house, Stock Wood, Tues., 10 30 a.m.
Birmingham – Cair, from own house, Cook Hill, Thurs., 8 a.m. Smith, from own house, Oldberrow Green, Thurs., 4 30 a.m.; and Webster, from own house, Oldberrow Green, Thurs., 5 a.m.
Bromsgrove – Fryer, from own house, Stock Green, Tues., 6 30 a.m. Webster, from own house, Oldberrow Green, Tues., 8 a.m.
Evesham – Cair, from own house, Cook Hill, Mon., 8 a.m. Smith, from own house, Oldberrow Green, Mon., 8 a.m.
Redditch – Cair, from own house, Cook Hill, Sat., 8 a.m.
Worcester – Collins, from own house, Stock Wood, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m. Fryer, from own house, Stock Green, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m. Gittus, from own house, Stock Wood, Wed and Sat., 7 a.m. Parker, from own house, Stock Green, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m. Smith, from own house, Oldberrow Green Sat., 7 30 a.m. Webster, from own house, Oldberrow Green, Sat., 8 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855