Hindlip is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Alternative Names: Hinlip
Parish Church: St. James
The registers commence with the year 1736.
Nonconformists: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Hindlip
- Martin Hussingtree
Historical Descriptions of Hindlip
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HINLIP, or HINDLIP, a parish in Droitwich district, Worcestershire; near the Birmingham canal, and near Fearnall-Heath r. station, 3¼ miles NNE of Worcester. Post town, Worcester. Acres, 1,054. Real property, £1,501. Pop., 136. Houses, 26. Hinlip Hall is the seat of Henry Allsop, Esq.; stands on an eminence, in a well wooded park, with extensive views; and is a square edifice in the Italian style, with two wings. The manor belonged to the Abingdons or Habyndons, one of whom concealed in his mansion six of the chief conspirators of the gunpowder plot, while his wife wrote to her brother, Lord Monteagle, the letter which led to its detection; and the manor passed to the Viscounts Southwell. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £150. Patrons, the Trustees of the late Viscount Southwell. The church is Norman, and has an embattled tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Hindlip, or Hinlip, a parish in the lower division of Oswaldslow hund., union of Droitwich, county of Worcester; 3 miles north-north-east of Worcester, in the line of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, and the Worcester and Birmingham canal. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £5 16s. 0½d., and returned at £130; gross income £150. Patron, in 1835, Viscount Southwell. Hindlip unites with Droitwich in returning a member to parliament. Six of the chief conspirators engaged in framing the gunpowder plot are said to have been concealed in a house in this parish; and from hence the letter leading to its detection was written by Mrs. Habington, of Hindlip-hall, the sister of Lord Monteagle. Acres 1,140. Houses 19. A. P. £1,601. Pop., in 1801, 149; in 1831, 134. Poor rates, in 1838, £103 7s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Hinlip – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 4 miles N.E. from Worcester, and 115 from London; containing 18 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. Richard Grape, incumbent; instituted 1815; patron Lord Viscount Southwell. Population, 1801, 149 – 1811, 158 – 1821, 129.
Hinlip-Hall, in the above parish, was formerly the residence of Thomas Habbingdon, who wrote a M.S. history of this county, (now in the library of the Antiquarian Society,) and at whose house were concealed four of the gunpowder-plot conspirators, viz. Owen, Chambers, Garnet, and Hall, who were not discovered till after a diligent search, which continued eight days. Owen afterwards murdered himself in the Tower, and the other three were executed. Habbingdon would likewise have suffered, had not his father-in-law, Lord Morley, interested himself for a pardon, which was acceded to, on condition that he should continue within the limits of the county during his life. The house has lately been pulled down, and a handsome mansion erected upon its site by Lord Viscount Southwell.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Henlip, three miles from Worcester, on the Birmingham road, has a mansion-house worthy of remark, supposed to have been built by one John Habington, cofferer to Queen Elizabeth, the date in the parlour being 1572. Habington’s son, who was concerned in various plots for releasing Mary Queen of Scots, contrived many secret places in different parts of this building. The access to some was through chimneys, &c. others had trap-doors communicating to back staircases; the rooms on the outside appearing like great chimneys, the whole building being most uncommonly constructed. In this mansion resided Mrs. Habington, who wrote the letter to her brother which discovered the Gunpowder-plot. Suspicion arising that persons concerned in it were concealed here, search was made, when two artificial conveyances in the main brick wall, ingeniously framed with great art, were found; and three about the chimneys, in one of which two of the traitors were placed. Three days after, two men of their own accord came from behind the wainscot of the galleries, being unable to conceal themselves any longer, having but one apple between both for sustenance. One was of the name of Owen, who afterwards killed himself in the tower of London; the other’s name was Chambers. On the eighth day’s search the aforementioned place of the chimney was found, and out came Henry Garnet, provincial of the English Jesuits, and one Hall, who lived upon marmelade and other sweetmeats; but their principal maintenance had been by a quill through a hole in the chimney, which backed another, and by that passage nourishment was conveyed to them. Four of these Jesuits were sent to London for trial; when Garnet was hanged in St. Paul’s church-yard; and another, named Oldcorn, at Worcester, for justifying the lawfulness of the conspiracy.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Family History Links for Hindlip
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court District: Worcester
- Petty Sessional Division: Worcester
- Polling District: Claines