Himbleton Worcestershire Family History Guide

Himbleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Dunhampstead, Shernall Green, Saleway, Shell and Phepson.

Alternative Names: Humliton

Parish Church: St. Mary Magdalene

The register begins with the year 1713.

The national school for 68 children, with teacher’s residence, was built in 1873 for Himbleton and Shell.

Parishes adjacent to Himbleton

 Historical Descriptions

Himbleton

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1870

Himbleton, a village and a parish in Droitwich district, Worcester. The village stands near Dean's brook and near the Gloucester and Birmingham railway, 4 miles SE of Droitwich; and has a post office under Droitwich.—The parish includes also the hamlets of Saleway, Phepson, Dunhampstead, and Shernall-Green. Acres, 2,040. Real property, £3,040; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop., 410. Houses, 93. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The parish is a meet for the Worcestershire hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £110.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is early English, and has a wooden tower of 1847.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Himbleton, a parish in the middle division of Oswaldslow hund., union of Droitwich, county of Worcester; 4 miles south-east of Droitwich; on a branch of the Avon, and in the line of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £8 6s. 10½d., returned at £135; gross income £112. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Worcester. Here is a daily school. Charities, in 1830, £2 10s. per annum; £1 10s. of which arose from a cottage and garden situated near Road-bridge. Poor rates. In 1838, £228 13s. In 1835, hop-grounds were cultivated in this parish to the extent of seven acres. Himbleton unites with Droitwich in returning a member to parliament. Acres 2,450. Houses 92. A. P. £2,366. Pop., including the hamlet of Shell, in 1801, 289; in 1831, 478.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822

Himbleton – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 ½ miles S.E. from Droitwich, and 115 from London; containing 84 inhabited houses. The living is a vicarage, Rev. William James Porter, incumbent; instituted 1815; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 289 – 1811, 315 – 1821, 437.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Phepson

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870

Phepson, a hamlet in Himbleton parish, Worcester; 5 miles SE of Droitwich.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization, and Military records - Free

Marriages at Himbleton 1713 to 1812

Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.

Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.

Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.

Directories

Himbleton Worcestershire Littlebury’s Directory 1879

Himbleton (anciently Humliton) is a parish and village within the parliamentary borough of Droitwich, being distant 5 miles S.E. of that town, and 7 N.E. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Halfshire; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; union, county court district, petty sessional division, and polling district of Droitwich; annual rateable value, £3,423; acreage, 1,894; population in 1861, 410; in 1871, 447, and of Shell (ecclesiastically connected with Himbleton) 52, making in all 499; inhabited houses, 94, and Shell 11, total, 105. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are Lord Edmund Talbot, Captain Douglas Galton, Sir Richard Paul Amphlett, Knt., Edward Bearcroft, Esq., Henry Bearcroft, Esq., Theodore Howard Galton, Esq., Mrs. Vernon, and the Rev. H. D. Woodhouse, M.A. The soil is principally clay, producing wheat, beans, &c. Lime-burning is carried on to a considerable extent by Messrs. Rawson H. and Alfred W. Godard, of Tibberton. Himbleton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; living, a vicarage, value £140, derived from 113 acres of glebe and small money payments in lieu of tithes, and there is a vicarage house; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; vicar, Rev. Henry David Woodhouse, M.A., Christ’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1865. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is an ancient edifice with chancel, nave, north aisle, south chapel, wooden porch, and tower, containing four bells. There is Norman, Early English, and Perpendicular work here, with fragments of old glass containing the invocation “Ora pro nobis.” A south transept called the “Shell Chapel” belongs to the hamlet of Shell. There are some objects of interest in the church. The register begins with the year 1713. All the charities have been lost. The national school for 68 children, with teacher’s residence, was built in 1873 for Himbleton and Shell. Phepson is a hamlet 1 mile N.; Dunhampstead is close to Oddingley, 2 miles N.W.; Shernall Green is 2 ½ N.W.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Droitwich and are delivered about 9 a.m. The wall letter-box is cleared at 5 p.m. on week-days only. Droitwich and Feckenham are the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Droitwich.
Parish Church (St, Mary Magdalene). – Rev. Henry David Woodhouse, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. George Wythes and Thomas Bent, Churchwardens; William Tovey, Sexton.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Clara Percival, Mistress.
Carrier to Worcester. – George Cottrill on Saturdays.

PRIVATE RESIDENT.

Woodhouse Rev. Henry David, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage

AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.

Bent Thomas, farmer, Phepson farm
Brown Francis, farmer, Dunhampstead
Bullock James, beer retailer (Drainers’ Arms) Earl’s common
Chambers Thomas, farmer; res., Boycott, Droitwich
Colley Richard, shopkeeper, Saleway
Corbett John, cottage farmer, Phepson
Cottrill John, cottage farmer
Davis John, shopkeeper, Earl’s common
Farmer James, farmer, Phepson
Fincher Mrs. Jane, cottage farmer and cider retailer, Pound farm
Gerrard John, farmer, Saldens farm; res., Upper hall, Hampton Lovett
Gibbs John, Himbleton Court farm
Gittus George, wheelwright
Gittus John, Harrow Inn, and shopkeeper
Godard Rawson Henry, farmer & lime burner; res., Evelench farm, Tibberton
Green John, farmer & miller, Shell mill
Greenhill John, boot and shoe maker
Hollington Ann, New house, Dunhampstead
Hopkins Thomas Meredith, farmer and hop grower, Court farm, Manor House farm, Glebe farm, and Earl’s Common farm; res., Lower Wick, Worcester
Iron Henry, farm bailiff, Saldens farm
Lawrence Joseph, station master, Dunhampstead goods station (Midland railway): res., Dunhampstead cottage
Merrell James, farmer, Manor house, Shell
Rogers Thomas, farmer, Saleway farm
Rogers William, blacksmith
Roper John Townshend, farmer, Woodhouse farm
Tovey William, parish sexton
Wright John, farm bailiff, Manor farm
Wythes George, farmer, Manor farm, Dunhampstead
Yeates Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkpr., Saleway

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.

Himbleton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Himbleton, 4 miles from Droitwich, contains 60 houses, and 289 inhabitants. The hamlet of Stock is in this parish.
Baylis Thomas, farmer
Crockett Ann, farmer
Davis Thomas, farmer
Gabb Samuel, farmer
Guise James, farmer
Heydon George, farmer
Lloyd William, farmer
Marshall George, farmer
Phillips William, farmer
Presdee Edward, farmer
Sheppey James, farmer
Tolley John, farmer
Vernon Rev. Robert
Wedgeberrow T., farmer
Wythes John, farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Family History Links

Genuki

The Worcestershire and Dudley Historic Churches Trust Site

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Droitwich
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Feckenham
  • Poor Law Union: Droitwich
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Highway District: Upton Snodsbury;
  • County Court District: Droitwich
  • Petty Sessional Division: Droitwich
  • Polling District: Droitwich