Harvington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1570
Parishes adjacent to Harvington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARVINGTON, a village and a parish in Evesham district, Worcester. The village stands near the Evesham and Redditch railway, ½ a mile W of the river Avon, and 4 N by W of Evesham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Evesham. The parish comprises 1,238 acres. Real property, £2,924. Pop., 452. Houses, 93. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £400. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is decorated English, with a Saxon tower; and was recently restored, at a cost of £1,750. There are a nation al school, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HARVINGTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Evesham, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Evesham; containing 347 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the borders of Warwickshire, and on the road between Evesham and Alcester. It comprises by measurement 1278 acres, of which 315 are pasture, 15 woodland, and the remainder arable; the soil is a gravelly loam, with, in some parts, a subsoil of red marl. About half a mile distant from the village is a wharf on the river Avon. Sandstone is quarried for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £15. 6. 8.; net income, £296; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1786; the land comprises 222 acres. The church, an ancient edifice in the early English style, stands on the west side of the village, and has been lately thoroughly repaired.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Harvington – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles N.N.E. from Evesham, and 99 from London; containing 61 inhabited houses. The living is a rectory; Rev. Henry Anthony Pye, incumbent; instituted 1818; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 262 – 1811, 260 – 1821, 353.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury