Status: ecclesiastical parish
The ecclesiastical parish of Eastham consisted of the parish or Eastham, and the chapelries of Hanley Child and Orleton until 1560; in that year the ecclesiastical parish of Hanley William was united with the Parish of Eastham.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1586
Parishes adjacent to Hanley William
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HANLEY-WILLIAM, or UPPER HANLEY, a parish in Tenbury district, Worcester; adjacent to Herefordshire, and near the river Teme, 6 miles SE of Tenbury r. station. Post town, Tenbury. Acres, 1,155. Pop., 120. Houses, 26. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Eastham, in the diocese of Hereford.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HANLEY-WILLIAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Tenbury, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Tenbury and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Tenbury, on the road to Worcester, viâ Clifton-on-Teme and Martley; containing 136 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by a portion of Herefordshire, and comprises 1180a. 39p., principally pasture and meadow land. The scenery is very bold, and extensive; the Malvern hills, the Welsh mountains, Clee hill, the Wrekin, and the Clent and Bromsgrove hills, may be all clearly seen on a fine day. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Eastham, and valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 11.: the tithes have been commuted for £155, and the glebe consists of 40 acres. The church, supposed to have been built in 1622, is a small and neat structure, with a wooden spire painted white, and will seat 100 persons: it contains a monument to the memory of the late Col. Newport, of Hanley Court, a handsome mansion in the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Hanley-William – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 6 miles S.E. from Tenbury; containing 23 inhabited houses. The living is a rectory, united with Eastham, Worcestershire. Population, 1801, 138 – 1811, 128 – 1821, 124.
Hanley-Court, in the above parish, the residence of Colonel Newport. It is a modern villa, seated on an eminence, and commands a picturesque view of the river Teme.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Hanley William Marriages
Hanley Wiiliam Parish Registers 1572 to 1812
The registers of Eastham (with Hanley Child and Orleton) and Hanley William, in the Deanery of Burford, 1572 to 1812 by Eastham (England : Parish); Lea, E. E; Worcestershire Parish Register Society.
Hanley William Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Baylis William, farmer
Moore William, farmer
Nott William, farmer
Sarjent John, miller
Smith Thomas, farmer
Thomas George, vict.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tenbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Tenbury
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury